TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brush with Greatness

UFC Fight Night - Florian v. Lauzon

The only thing that match proved about Maynard is that he could eat a punch decently, though part of that may be due to the size advantage. I'd like to see him against someone like Hill next.

I scored that all three rounds for Gray. Frankie never really did anything in that fight. Gray wasn't impressive but he controlled the entire fight and he had a hell of a lot more tackdowns.

Awesome round.

I'm glad Rogan changed his mind about the position of those elbows. It looked pretty bad when he's saying it's the top of the head when there is blood gushing out of a cut practically right on Lauzon's occipital bone.

Kenny Florian means business. Lauzon impressed me how long he managed to survive in Florian's mount.

Even with the loss I don't think it is going to hurt Lauzon too badly. He looked good.

The only thing that match proved about Maynard is that he could eat a punch decently, though part of that may be due to the size advantage. I'd like to see him against someone like Hill next.

You think Hill is ready for Maynard?

Hill is actually suppose to fight Justin Bucholz at UFC 86, for the record.

Me personally, I want to see Maynard fight Lauzon. That was the fight I wanted to see on TUF5, that didnt happend.

You think Hill is ready for Maynard?

While I'd make Gray a favorite, but I think Corey actually matches up well with him. Maynard lacks the well-rounded striking to give Hill many problems standing, and with his stature and wrestling background, Hill stands a decent chance of keeping the fight standing. Granted, Maynard is diffrent level of wrestler than Joe Veres, but even should he get the takedown, he hasn't particularly shown me any overly impressive offense on the ground.

Of course, this could all just be a knee-jerk reaction to what I felt was a dissapointing fight.

Houston Alexander has some work ahead of him, the starpower he gained from the vicious KO of Jardine is fading fast considering the way he has been KO'd in his last couple of fights.

Joe Lauzon looked good against Florian. Joe's seems like he is going to have a great career ahead of him.

Nate Diaz is an animal. You can never count the guy out until the ref is waving his hands because the guy finds ways out of any situation it seems.

In regards to the stoppages I thought that Alexander's was totally legit. When you fall back with your hands stiff in the air you're done. The fans if anything need to be pissed at Houston for recovering so quickly. As for Karo it might have been a tad quick but I don't see the outcome being any different if Mazzagatti had allowed him to take another few shots. Even when Serra flash KO'd Karo he recovered quick enough but when he dropped from the knee the way he was rolling over was a clear-cut sign he was in deep trouble.

Great night of fights. I was in "Oh shit it's gonna be stopped" mode when Pellegrino got the crucifix in Nate's side-mount and started hammering away and the comeback triangle at the end had me freaking out. Johnson's KO of Speer was SICK as was Florian/Lauzon.

If Alexander isn't dove onto by the ref, he is probably taking 2-3 more clean shots to the face before getting rescued 2-3 seconds later anyway. He was flat on his back and not in any position to defend himself. Recovering after the fact is irrelevent really.

I really think that the Houston Alexander hope train is derailed at this point. He beat Jardine, which means something but his other win was against Sakara who can't even win at 185. He's been embarrassed his last two times out.

By the way, James Irvin is a peice of shit for even suggesting him and Alexander should brawl in the parking lot. He made himself look like a complete jackass.

With Edgar going down I imagine they need a Huerta vs Griffin #1 contenders match. Those are the two guys that stand out.

If the ref was in a better position to see Diaz eat those elbows I think he would have stopped the fight

War Josh Neer. That was my underdog pick that won.

I'd say we get Kenny vs Huerta for #1 contender sometime in August. That would draw HUGE numbers for a UFN main event but I can see UFC wanting to put it on PPV.

I'd say Diaz gets Tyson Griffin or Edgar next. He already beat Maynard and while Gray's wrestling looked sharp last night I didn't see anything to make me think he'd beat Nate again. Griffin/Diaz would be dope as apparently there's beef on Nate's side regarding Tyson leaving Cesar Gracie for Xtreme Couture. And don't say there's always beef with Nate because he really had nothing but respect for Pellegrino last night.

I say Diaz gets Alberto Crane next.

Not for any reason other than it would be AMAZING.

I'd say, Edgar vs. Huerta, Maynard vs. Florian, Guida vs. Diaz (if Crane is too low on the totem pole for Nate), OOOR send Edgar and Lauzon to WEC and have them face Faber and have Huerta vs. Griffin.