TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Spring Training 2008

Interesting word today from Jon Heyman. Apparently Manny Ramirez has dismissed his current agent and signed on with Scott Boras. On the surface, this appears to be bigger news than it actually is. Manny is in final year of his 7 year contract signed with Boston after the 2001 season. However, the Red Sox still have two team option years at $20 million a piece.

All the leverage is on the side of Boston. I'd put the chances of Boston picking up Manny's option years at less than 50%. Manny is obviously looking to maximize his value on next year's free agent market by going with one of the best agents out there.

It all depends on Manny's 2008 season of course. $20 million is steep, but one year contracts are very attractive for teams. Adam Dunn and Pat Burrell are free agents after the year, potential replacement targets for the Sox.

I think Manny is going to put up big numbers this year, certainly alot better that last season. There is almost no chance in my mind that the Sox NOT pick up the options if he does produce even close to his career averages.

If Manny shows up in shape, puts up a .950-1.000 OPS and does it with a good attitude they'd pick up at least one option. I just don't see him putting up the numbers over the next three years that he needs to offset his horrible defense and justify that ridiculous contract. Teixeira, Sabathia, Dunn and Burrell are all on the market next year and might be attractive options for Red Sox management. It just doesn't seem to fit in with their line of thinking to keep Manny around.

I think Manny is going to put up big numbers this year, certainly alot better that last season. There is almost no chance in my mind that the Sox NOT pick up the options if he does produce even close to his career averages.

Taking a look at ZiPS, that projection has Manny closer to 2007 than his career averages. A 36 year old player may not bounce back. Of course Manny at that level is a valuable player for a ballclub, just not elite.

Manny's going to be 36 years old this season. Almost every projection I've seen for him this season shows a continued decline instead of some sort of rebound. Given that Manny is overrated anyways due to his horrific defense and the team might find those $20 million better served somewhere else. At best Manny's a 4 or 5 win player going forward and that's only worth $10 or $15 million. Pass.

Now, if Manny hits this year and Dunn/Teixeira get locked up by their teams, those options suddenly become a lot more attractive.

Al, do you plan on reading Chris Coste's book when it comes out?

I do. One of the best experiences of the last few years has been watching Coste defy the odds and reach the Majors. I'm a fan.

Guest Michael Myers Resplendent

Here's some of Bill Murray calling a Cubs game with Stoney. A highlight is that Andres Gallarraga is in it.

"You know, all these Venezuelans say they're from Caracas, but I bet they're just from the suburbs. Like Highwood. Highwood, Venezuela. One of the few places you could buy a six-pack of beer as a 12-year-old."

Phils' Lidge re-injures knee on first pitch from mound

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Phillies closer Brad Lidge caught a spike in the mound on his first pitch of batting practice Saturday and hurt the same knee he had surgery on in October.

Brad Lidge, the Phillies' biggest offseason acquisition, limped off the field after talking with team trainers. The team said it hoped to know more about the extent of the injury Sunday.

"It was my push off leg," Lidge said. "I caught my spike in the mound. I threw the pitch but it felt like I pulled something in the knee. ... It swelled up a little, but I'm optimistic that I just pulled some scar tissue loose."

Doctors removed torn cartilage from his right knee in the fall.

The Phillies acquired Lidge and infielder Eric Bruntlett in a November trade that sent speedy outfielder Michael Bourn, infield prospect Mike Costanzo and reliever Geoff Geary to the Astros.

The 31-year-old Lidge, who has 123 career saves, finished 2007 with 19 saves in 27 chances and a 3.36 ERA for Houston. When the Phillies acquired him, it allowed them to strengthen their rotation by making Brett Myers a starter again.

"We'll find out more tomorrow," manager Charlie Manuel said of Lidge's injury. "We'll go from there and we're waiting to see how it feels [sunday]. He was in the stretch and threw one pitch and did it. He threw another and it still hurt him."

The Phillies struggled with injury problems in the bullpen for much of last season. Setup man Tom Gordon and Myers both missed significant time due to injuries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/n...tory?id=3260676

Czech I now really feel your pain:

"What you do is run the pitcher's count up, that helps," Baker said. "You put him in the stretch, that helps. But your job in the middle is to either score them or drive them in. The name of the game is scoring runs. Sometimes, you get so caught up in on-base percentage that you're clogging up the bases."

From yesterday at Reds spring training. It's almost too good to be true, and some people never learn.

Guest Vitamin X

Marvin, what does a panorama of Springfield have anything to do with that? You silly bald bastard. Hang on, I think this is what you meant:

gomarlinsmanatees.jpg

Knowing how many fat people are in the Miami area, I know this will be a fierce competition.

and in opposition of Dusty Baker's remark...

credit the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel blog.

But one of the most interesting of possible orders would have Ryan Braun batting second, a pitcher batting eighth and catcher Jason Kendall batting ninth. This idea isn't set yet, and it may not ever be used. It is just one of a flurry of ideas whizzing around inside the skipper's head. St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa has done this some during the last few seasons.

Yost's reasoning is that he wants Braun to have more plate apperances, but still be able to have guys on in front of him. So with Kendall's ability to see pitches and get on base, it would essentially translate to Braun still batting third while racking up about 40 more plate appearances, as stats show. In this lineup, Prince Fielder would bat third in the order, but it would be like having him in the clean-up slot.

"Common sense tells me you want your best hitters to have the most at-bats," Yost said.

What was that line from that one episode of 30 Rock? "I love that we can work AND do cocaine!"? This sounds like some stimulated impulsive brilliance from the Marlins' promotions department. First of all, I'm willing to bet that the abundance of fat Miamians Leo referred to are transplanted New Yorkers, who would only want to shake their bodies for the Yankees or Mets. Second of all, if you're struggling to draw 300 people to a Marlins home game, how is this supposed to fix that? They're not really attracting the marketing mavens down there in Miami, are they? Can we loan you some of ours, who convinced us that bleacher seats are worth $50?

Speaking of the bleachers, I heard that about two-fifths of the home games at the ol' Cocksuckers' Playground are within the first one-third of the season. Let's see, do the math here, 33 ÷ 81 × (81 ÷ 185) + 48° ± 14° = the Cubs got dicked. Not too favorable for our team whose success is disproportionately predicated on heat and wind. Worse yet, the ivy isn't even in bloom yet for most of those games, so they won't be as pretty! I like pretty. Our competition is lucky that they don't have to worry about adverse weather or adverse scheduling! I'd rather have the Cubs spend the first week or two of the season touring Arizona, Houston, and St. Louis before making a home debut in mid-April. I can wait. We get two Opening Days. It's better. Not missin' much in the first week of April anyway.

But one of the most interesting of possible orders would have Ryan Braun batting second, a pitcher batting eighth and catcher Jason Kendall batting ninth. This idea isn't set yet, and it may not ever be used. It is just one of a flurry of ideas whizzing around inside the skipper's head.

Other ideas whizzing around Ned Yost's head:

"Turnbow'll get us out of this one"

"I don't need to manage the last games of the season"

"The umpires conspire against me"

"Nah, we won't need Braun to hit after the 7th inning"

Guest Vitamin X
First of all, I'm willing to bet that the abundance of fat Miamians Leo referred to are transplanted New Yorkers, who would only want to shake their bodies for the Yankees or Mets.

No dude, we've talked about this before. Hispanics, especially down there, can get big and tubby. REALLY big. But we'll see what these manatees end up looking like, eh? I'm willing to watch some 300lb. Nicaraguan bellydance for laughs (if I still lived there).

Czech I now really feel your pain:

"What you do is run the pitcher's count up, that helps," Baker said. "You put him in the stretch, that helps. But your job in the middle is to either score them or drive them in. The name of the game is scoring runs. Sometimes, you get so caught up in on-base percentage that you're clogging up the bases."

From yesterday at Reds spring training. It's almost too good to be true, and some people never learn.

Oh fuck.

Yovani Gallardo of the Brewers is out four to six weeks with torn knee cartilage, but the Brewers have enough starting pitching depth that it shouldn't be any sort of setback.

News from Mesa:

-Derrek Lee is hitting the ball well, and any concerns about his bad wrist should be diminished if not competely alleviated.

-Kosuke Fukudome's hits have a nice slice to them.

-There's a fellow named Jose Ceda--I can't be arsed to look up which crappy player we pawned off to get him--who is hitting about 98, 99 on the gun with movement. He'd be a good mid-season call-up should any of the other bullpen arms start faltering.

-Matt Murton fine-tuned his swing and is hitting with more power at the expense of hitting to all fields.

-Mark DeRosa was stretchered out of the park with an irregular heartbeat the other day but appears to be recovering just fine. Still, that's a scare.

EDIT: Oh, it was Todd Walker! I miss him. He wasn't awful.

-There's a fellow named Jose Ceda--I can't be arsed to look up which crappy player we pawned off to get him--who is hitting about 98, 99 on the gun with movement. He'd be a good mid-season call-up should any of the other bullpen arms start faltering.

Jose Ceda

According to Baseball America, "the Cubs could have another Lee Smith on their hands." They have him ranked as the Cubs' #4 fasttrack, and could show up in Wrigley once he finds his control.

Marvin, what does a panorama of Springfield have anything to do with that? You silly bald bastard. Hang on, I think this is what you meant:

gomarlinsmanatees.jpg

Knowing how many fat people are in the Miami area, I know this will be a fierce competition.

12674e44-e597-4f06-a8a5-6bbc5bff8570.jpg

Guest Tzar Lysergic

One of those poor bastards is going to keel over during the 7th inning against the Braves sometime this August.

Red Sox signed former Cy Young winner Bartolon Colon (he's fat) to a minor-league deal. There's probably a 95% chance that he's cooked, but on the off chance that he puts things back together he could be a huge steal for the back end of the rotation. The fact that his fastball sat at 88 in Winter League is not a good sign though.