TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - February 2008

Really the only thing that WWE may be able to get some kind of press from the whole Mayweather/Big Show deal is if Mayweather takes a big bump or gets the shit kicked out of him. No one is going to care if a professional boxer breaks a professional wrestlers nose, now if it was the other way around, it might be a different story.

No one can even compare this to the Mike Tyson/DX/Steve Austin deal because Mayweather is no where near the level of hype and press and whatever else that Mike Tyon was at back then.

I see WM 25 being Cena-Taker with Taker's streak ending...feasible?

I hope not. They should give it to somebody who deserves it: Edge. : )

No one can even compare this to the Mike Tyson/DX/Steve Austin deal because Mayweather is no where near the level of hype and press and whatever else that Mike Tyon was at back then.

Hell Mayweather is no where near the level of hype and press that Mike Tyson is now.

Mayweather is the biggest name in boxing right now. Comparing him to Tyson is retarded. Tyson was good back in the day but his biggest claim to fame is being a CONVICTED RAPIST! I am not 100% sure but Mayweather hasn't raped any 16 year olds. OJ is one of the most known football players, and not from being the juice, from being the stabbing ex-husband. This is getting some press, but not alot because CONGRESS is looking into the top two sports stories of Spygate and Mitchell Report.

The think with Mayweather is is that I don't think the wwe is going for main stream press as so much as targeting the PPV-buying Mayweather fanbase. In return, Mayweather is trying to expand his "brand" outside of the insular boxing world.

This isn't Trump and the main stream media interest, this is targeted cross-promotion.

Tyson's claim to fame is only partially the rape conviction. Mind you, Tyson himself has said there were things he did in the past that were deserving of prison time, but that rape conviction was a result of his inept legal defense more than anything. Either way in the 1980s and early 90s Tyson was a massive star in boxing, he was known to everyone regardless of whether they followed boxing, he had his own NES game, etc.

Mayweather is known to boxing fans and some casual observers but is hardly a household name. And thus far him having his entourage around reminds me way too much of Master P and the No Limit Soldiers, although certainly better than that atrocity that helped kill WCW. Rey was also involved in that No Limit nonsense.

Tyson's claim to fame is only partially the rape conviction. Mind you, Tyson himself has said there were things he did in the past that were deserving of prison time, but that rape conviction was a result of his inept legal defense more than anything. Either way in the 1980s and early 90s Tyson was a massive star in boxing, he was known to everyone regardless of whether they followed boxing, he had his own NES game, etc.

Mayweather is known to boxing fans and some casual observers but is hardly a household name. And thus far him having his entourage around reminds me way too much of Master P and the No Limit Soldiers, although certainly better than that atrocity that helped kill WCW. Rey was also involved in that No Limit nonsense.

I dont think Mayweather is as known as Tyson at his peak, but when you take everything in account, there is no outside celebrity save Dwayne Johnson that would be more perfect for a Mania angle than Floyd. I think he is easily a household name. You dont have 2.4 mil PPV buys for a match unless both fighters are major draws. Far different than No Limit which was a very short urban fad that had already past by the time P got to WCW.

For all the talk about Steamboat not having "wrestled" in 14 years, consider that he worked a physical confrontation with CM Punk in 2004. However, that doesn't mean he's in any condition to wrestle Ric Flair. Sting was still putting on good matches in TNA and could work well with Flair to do a passable match. Steamboat couldn't.

Sorry if reported already.

Wrestlemania 24 will cost fans $54.95 this year, up from last year's $49.95 price tag. WWE is also charging $69.95 to watch this year's Wrestlemania in High-definition.

Gerweck

Like an idiot I'm sure I'll get it anyway, but why $5 more this year? Also, even if Time Warner would let me order it in HD I wouldn't for $20 extra. I already have the HD Box I shouldn't have to pay more for HD events and on demand movies.

If the mayweather thing is solely for mainstream pub on ESPN and the like, then it is a good idea, I worry though that they are putting too much stock in Mayweather's appeal with wrestling fans. I may be incorrect, but I don't think there is much crossover in Wrestling and boxing fans, especially now that UFC is so popular. Working with Dana White and a UFC fighter would have made much more sense from a wrestling perspective. I could be in the minority here, but I don't watch boxing. and although the shots Mayweather put on Show were unbelievable, I am completely underwhelmed with the idea of a boxer in a wrestling match...meh.

At least it's an actual athelete with personality who can physically get involved. Donald Trump was a big mess (It worked though). If they can build up momentum over the next month with Mayweather/Show and whomever else gets involved. Also, if they include MVP as Show's partner, it's a step up from a public image standpoint over the face painted fat guy in Umaga.

$70 bucks for Wrestlemania in HD? That's insane. My friend cable company didn't charge extra for the Rumble in HD, so hopefully it'll be the same for this show.

Well it is 4 hours of HD PPV. It deserves more HD dollar, I suppose. Of course they don't even offer these in HD here which sucks when they frame the screen for widescreen viewers (this happened numerous times during the Royal Rumble match).

If the mayweather thing is solely for mainstream pub on ESPN and the like, then it is a good idea, I worry though that they are putting too much stock in Mayweather's appeal with wrestling fans. I may be incorrect, but I don't think there is much crossover in Wrestling and boxing fans, especially now that UFC is so popular. Working with Dana White and a UFC fighter would have made much more sense from a wrestling perspective. I could be in the minority here, but I don't watch boxing. and although the shots Mayweather put on Show were unbelievable, I am completely underwhelmed with the idea of a boxer in a wrestling match...meh.

Mayweather is bigger than anybody they could've gotten from UFC.

Mayweather is bigger than anybody they could've gotten from UFC.

Sure, but my point was simply that within the wrestling community someone with UFC would be more appreciated and would put on a better show for wrestling fans. It might be a bad example given his current issues with UFC, but take Randy Couture..imagine Randy Couture vs. Big Show. I think that would be infinitely more entertaining than Mayweather and his sweet hooded sweatshirts. More entertaining for wrestling fans. Mayweather is certainly a bigger name globally, I think they could have found someone who offered more balanced appeal to non fans and fans alike. I have no suggestions, but thats not what I'm paid for.

Most everyone should know Tim Duncan, but I can certainly understand not giving a shit about him. The ratings for the 2003, 2005, and 2007 NBA Finals bear that out.

All I could tell anyone about Tim Duncan is that hes a basketball player. Thats it. I have no idea how long hes been around how good he is, (I know he MUST be good cause I have heard of him) or even what team he is on.