TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 84 - Ill Will

Machida brings a lot of things to the table that I don't like about boxing. I wouldn't call him boring, but I don't like watching him fight.

Technique?

I like watching Lyoto fight. He is very fluid and is able to get in and out faster than just about anyone in the sport. It's cliche, but his evasion is quite good as he is always out of range and had Tito whiffing all night.

BJ looked really good last night. I was very impressed with the way he changed on the fly and adapted to what Sherk was bringing. He improved as the fight went on, which is a huge plus for Penn.

I freaked when Wandy won.

Sokoudjou looked bad, to me. He caught Nak with the same right high kick/right cross combo that he caught Rogerio. Till then Nak was winning the fight and pressing the action beyond Soks leg kicks.

Thaigo Silva is a slow starter, but he survived a brutal head kick and showed some vicious gnp. A good fight for him, hopefully he sees the areas he needs to improve in.

Palhares jj made me rub my nipples. Sweet ass armbar.

I think they are grooming Palhares as an eventual title contender. Watching it over Rogan kept mentioning Anderson Silva during the post-fight.

Awesome show overall. BJ took some shots that looked bad but it didn't seem to faze him one bit. Great work picking apart Sherk. Wandy looked like his old self.

Great show

Good show last night. Other thoughts:

- Ortiz should just hang it up now.

- Glad Jardine got his ass handed to him.

- I don't know what the Hell Sherk was thinking trying to be a knockout artist. He was older, shorter, and didn't have as much as reach as Penn did. The strategy didn't work for the first and second round, he should've just gone for the takedown in the third round, but his stubbornness cost him winning back the title instead.

BJ is tough and his face doesn't show damage. However, Sherk isn't known as a power puncher and most of what he threw were quick shots with little follow-through. Sherk was quick to retract his punches and that took some of the power away from them. They may not have rocked BJ, but they got him thinking and he strayed from the brawling style in the first round to a more technical, pick-your-shots style in the second and third. He found his range and used his jab a lot more, though I would have liked to have seen him mix it up more. The few kicks and body shots he threw landed. However, he got Sherk thinking hands which is why he won with a knee.

How can anyone hate Keith Jardine? He's one ugly motherfucker, but he's not one to talk trash and seems like an fairly decent, soft-spoken, individual. He's not my favourite fighter, but while I was happy as fuck to see Wandy win, I was at the same time sad to see Jardine lose.

I don't see why Tito should retire, Lyoto has a style that makes everyone look bad. His ring awareness is sharp, so he never gets cornered and always circles away when he feels a guy is about to attack. Excellent timing both defensively and offensively. It's hard to think of anybody who can crack his style, as they'd practically have to chase after him and burn up a lot of cardio in doing so. Lyoto shifting Titos weight in the clinch as he threw him aside was superdope.

How can anyone hate Keith Jardine? He's one ugly motherfucker, but he's not one to talk trash and seems like an fairly decent, soft-spoken, individual. He's not my favourite fighter, but while I was happy as fuck to see Wandy win, I was at the same time sad to see Jardine lose.

Jardine's look actually works for him... he looks like the crazy guy in the bar that will snap on you in a second... well, last night was an exception.

Good show last night. Other thoughts:

- Ortiz should just hang it up now.

Why? He lost to one of the best in the world today, there is no shame in that.

He is still capable of being a top 10 Light Heavyweight, and he's only 33.

All my friends who are minorties think he looks like a Nazi.

Machida brings a lot of things to the table that I don't like about boxing. I wouldn't call him boring, but I don't like watching him fight.

Technique?

I don't like his lack of aggression.

I wouldn't call it counter fighting. He's not striking back when others come in, he just gets out of the action. When he does, it's just not often enough for me to like it. I wouldn't call it running though.

I'm not trying to discredit his skill or anything, just a matter of personal preference. I want to see what happens when someone comes in with the ability to take it to Machida. I grew up on Tito so he's my favorite, but he doesn't have it in him anymore.

Anyway, his next fight is going to require the things I'd like to see, so he could win me over yet.

I wouldn't call it counter fighting. He's not striking back when others come in, he just gets out of the action. When he does, it's just not often enough for me to like it. I wouldn't call it running though.

I'm not trying to discredit his skill or anything, just a matter of personal preference. I want to see what happens when someone comes in with the ability to take it to Machida. I grew up on Tito so he's my favorite, but he doesn't have it in him anymore.

Anyway, his next fight is going to require the things I'd like to see, so he could win me over yet.

Here's the problem with that. There's no one that can "take it to Machida" in the Light heavyweight division. I'm not saying he can't be beat, but there's no one that's going to break him of his style. Machida is a high level karate fighter. You try to charge in, and he'll nail you with KO power. So bull rushing won't work. And he shrugged off Tito's attempts at a takedown, so trying to get him down looks like it'll be hard...and if you do, he's got very good ground game. You could just be getting in a worse situation as Nakamura showed in their fight.

If there's one glaring weakness to Machida, is that *if* you could get off first, and tag him and play defense/aggression and hit first or counter him, you could win by decision...theoretically. The only problem is that Machida almost always starts turning up the aggression in round three to seal fights that he's already winning. I don't know what he'd do if he thought he was losing at that point.

I think there's a lot of interesting fights for Machida...but I think there's very few that he could possibly lose. Forrest's unpredictability and Silva's high aggression could be interesting, same with Shogun. I think it'd be kind of unfair if Lyoto has to fight again to earn a title shot, but it's UFC.

Also, I have totally done a 180 on my Gouveia fandom because he totally screwed me in my office pool. I'd have been 80 bucks richer if the moron had found a way to win as I was 4-0 with the rest of the show.

Nah, they won't risk Silva losing now that he's got the win momentum behind him. I fully expect to see Silva vs Rampage sometime in October or November.

They'll problay have Wanderlei/Chuck II before they do Silva/Rampage...

I see Machida getting the next title shot.

Also, I have totally done a 180 on my Gouveia fandom because he totally screwed me in my office pool. I'd have been 80 bucks richer if the moron had found a way to win as I was 4-0 with the rest of the show.

I nearly had a heart attack during the pre-fight video hype for Gouveia when the 1st words that came out of his mouth was "Who is this guy?" me and my friends were nearly laughing for hours.

The total disclosed payroll for the event was $1,098,000.

* B.J. Penn ($250,000) def. Sean Sherk ($35,000)

* Wanderlei Silva ($150,000) def. Keith Jardine ($10,000)

* Goran Reljic ($6,000) def. Wilson Gouveia ($18,000)

* Lyoto Machida ($100,000) def. Tito Ortiz ($210,000)

* Thiago Silva ($50,000) def. Antonio Mendes ($4,000)

* Rousimar Palhares ($10,000) def. Ivan Salaverry ($20,000)

* Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou ($80,000) def. Kazuhiro Nakamura ($20,00O)

* Rich Clementi ($40,000) def. Terry Etim ($10,000)

* Yoshiyuki Yoshida ($12,000) def. Jon Koppenhaver ($8,000)

* Dong Hyun Kim ($40,000) def. Jason Tan ($3000)

* Shane Carwin ($12,000) def. Christian Wellisch ($10,000)

Wow. Sherk got FUCKED. Dana's smart enough to know that there's two sides to every marketing ploy and Sherk was a huge part of selling the bad blood between the two. I know why BJ should get more but almost 7 times more? That's insane.

And how does a no-name Korean dude make more then Jardine?

that's including winning bonuses of course...not counting Wandy, who got a straight 150

Heres the extra bonuses from Dana

Silva got KO of the night, Palhares got submission and Reljic and Gouveia got fight of the night with bonuses around $75 000 for each.

So including bonuses:

The total (un)disclosed payroll for the event was $1,398,000.

* B.J. Penn ($250,000) def. Sean Sherk ($35,000)

* Wanderlei Silva ($225,000) def. Keith Jardine ($10,000)

* Goran Reljic ($81,000) def. Wilson Gouveia ($93,000)

* Lyoto Machida ($100,000) def. Tito Ortiz ($210,000)

* Thiago Silva ($50,000) def. Antonio Mendes ($4,000)

* Rousimar Palhares ($85,000) def. Ivan Salaverry ($20,000)

* Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou ($80,000) def. Kazuhiro Nakamura ($20,00O)

* Rich Clementi ($40,000) def. Terry Etim ($10,000)

* Yoshiyuki Yoshida ($12,000) def. Jon Koppenhaver ($8,000)

* Dong Hyun Kim ($40,000) def. Jason Tan ($3000)

* Shane Carwin ($12,000) def. Christian Wellisch ($10,000)

I hope Carwin got some kind of KO bonus as well as that would suck for him to get such a devastating KO and not get a bonus.