TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

Fast Food Promotions..

What were some of the best Fast Food Promotions?

What were your favorites?

Still got any of the goodies?

-I wasnt a Pokemon fan...But those Cards Burger King Had were awesome

-Old School McDonald's Monopoly..I don't like the way they do it now...

-The one I had the longest was Burger King's promotion for Last Action Hero

I remember they were these cups and they came with like a plastic thing that you

would rotate and it gave the illusion of a moving image..I lost the plastic thing, but that cup got mileage.

- I remember Burger King had one of the best ever when I was like 8 back in 93/94

It was like all practical joke toys like whoppie cushions and fake spiders and a handshake buzzer thing...

Great stuff to a child...lol

Looking back at what I wrote...Burger King had some kick ass prizes...

McDonalds Monopoly (you're right, the old way was better), McDonalds Beanie Babies, can't think of any others now.

To be fair to McDonald's..

I believe they put the game on hiatus for a couple years because there was a scandal of employees stealing game pieces but im not sure

if im remembering that right...

I remember how the Sunday paper on the first day of the old game would have a board and two free pieces...Ahhh..the good ol' days..

I don't even bother w/ it now...I guess they had to change the way to make it more fair for all i guess

The McDonald's Beanie Babies promo was an awesome period for me. If I felt hungry and there wasn't anything prepared in the house, I would bike down to the McDonald's near my house. Almost every single time there would be a customer that bought the meal specifically for the toy and I would walk away with a free meal. I think management eventually caught on to what I was doing, but I don't think they minded much since people would seriously dump the food untouched then head out with a Beanie Baby or two in hand.

Monopoly old version and the 2003-04 version when partnered with Best Buy and you didn't have a cap on how many of the BB bucks you could use on an item. Also, BK had some cool ones like the triple jump checkers, pokemon toys just for the pokeballs. Though I swear when Taco Bell did the stuff for Star Wars SE in 97 I had almost every toy. I also remember when McDonalds would do the Disney Christmas ornaments I still have my Sebastian the crab.

Ced, I so wish we were friends back then. The scary thing is when that beanie baby thing happened that McDonalds was brand new. Oh how time flies.

When I worked for McDonalds in 96/97 I remember during the Monopoly promotion we would kind of look through the french fry packs to see what pieces were winning pieces, and then give them away to friends if they came in.

I also was there for a beanie baby promotion. My normal shift was 7-3, but for that promotion they wanted to have me work the opening shift of 5-1pm because the place had a line of cars around the parking lot to get the limited edition beanie babies because back then they were a collectors item. There was a limit to five beanie babies at a time, meaning if you bought the value meal it came with one, and then you could purchase up to 4 more seperately. We would have these ladies just arguing with us about how they should be able to buy as much as they want, and when they finally gave up, they would just go to the drive-thru again and buy another value meal to get more beanie babies. Oh and we also had to give out certain ones on certain days, and the ladies would just erupt with anger because we weren't going to go to the back and find ones they didn't already have.

I also worked there back when there was no limit to the 39cent cheeseburger promotion, people would come and order 100 at a time. Some were little league coaches, some were just freezing a bunch for future appetite. It was crazy as hell though.....

Working for McDonalds provided me with a hell of a lot of funny memories, and I actually like the job itself. Hell if it paid well I might have considered staying there.

Oh crap I just remembered when Carl's Jr. ran the Kings Bobblehead promotion in Sacramento. The first year they did it started out slow but then the Kings went on a tear on their way to the '02 playoffs and those things took the hell off. The following year was bad too, considering I had to wait until about 11 in the morning for like 5 Wednesdays to pick them up.

I remember those Rugrats watches Burger King Had to promote the movie...

Those were quite popular w/ kids my age at the time...and i was about 13-14 at the time..

Chuckie's watch ruled!!

What employee wouldn't jack pieces?

LOL..Im not sure..

but im postive i remember hearing it was some kind of scandal and

they did away w/ it for a while

I was obsessed with Land Before Time Hand puppets at Pizza Hut when I was five or so.

I was the same way with Eureka's Castle hand puppets that Pizza Hut had for a while. Now that's a show that needs to be on DVD...

McDonald's Hockey Cards. Especially back in the 90's too.

Also when McDonalds had the Hockey trophies for like 2.99 as well, good promo.

McDonalds which each day was some special rate. Every Tuesday was Big Mac Tuesday

The only good promotions I remember are all from McDonald's...

Monopoly, ldo. The last Monopoly game before they changed it, I went often enough to get every single non-winning piece on the board.

The Mario 3 toys were great. I was working at McD's at the time, and I managed to get them all. I still have the spring-loaded Mario toy somewhere.

The hockey cards were the most insane promotion we ever had. People were falling all over themselves trying to get them all the first year it was held.

I still have the following, in even-numbered sequential years, a la Arnold Palmer's Masters wins (Maybe like Phil, if he wins this year. I digress).

2002: Olympic Pucks and Stand: All eight initially named 2002 Team Canada members, with a fifth puck featuring the Great One. My lesbian friend, who, as you can probably guess, doesn't follow hockey, was with me when I purchased it. She said "This might be a girl question. Have you seen that commercial? How come no one cares about him when he drops the puck? They only want the puck." It wasn't.

2004: Trophies. Baron and I made some frantic last-minute calls, but I've procured them all now. Probably the best thing to come from my career at Wal*Mart, as far as the direct Wal*Mart - McDonald's relationship goes.

2006: Olympic Jerseys. Nash, Luongo, Brodeur, Crosby, Iginla, Lecavalier....I think. I should find them tomorrow.

And oh yeah, Burger King's 360 games FTW.

EDIT: HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I forgot the Mario 3 toys! I got a Paratroopa the night I saw TMNT: The Movie. Since the bulk of my post relates to hockey, I'll share that my cousin ruined the ending of the movie for me. Relevancy? Her prom date was Kevin Bieksa.

McDonalds which each day was some special rate. Every Tuesday was Big Mac Tuesday

I...don't remember this one at all.

however, one of the local McDonalds, after they went to 24 hours, had Big Macs for 99 cents. That was awesome.

It was a Canadian thing. McDonald's had a deal of the day which was dropped around the time Wendy's aired a commercial making fun of daily deals. Burger King then introduced their Daily King Deals (Whopper Wednesday!). Naturally both places used their Friday special for fish.

"Can I get a cheeseburger?"

"No."

Those were good.

Edit: They were even better with my avatar. Like the counter guy was hoarding them all, afraid of what would happen if my avatar guy left without having to juggle a massive burger, or a dozen small ones. Thanks again, VX and LaParka; with baseball and The Masters imminent, 'big burger guy' is just about done.

It was a Canadian thing. McDonald's had a deal of the day which was dropped around the time Wendy's aired a commercial making fun of daily deals. Burger King then introduced their Daily King Deals (Whopper Wednesday!). Naturally both places used their Friday special for fish.

I don't know if it was a regional thing but McDonalds had deals of the day for a short time in the mid 90s here. The only one I remember was on Wednesdays they had 39 cents cheeseburgers. My dad would always buy a sack of them on the way home from work. IIRC, they had hamburgers for a quarter on another day.

Hmm... I seem to recall that too. Monday and Wednesdays in the 90s, maybe? There was a McD's right across the street from my high school and while I couldn't stand being around that many high school students to go (in grade 9 I felt the crowd there was too old and in OAC I felt the crowd would be too obnoxiously young) I know people that loved the cheap eats.

I usually went home (my house was 3 blocks away) and ate leftovers for lunch during high school. As you can guess, I was really cool in high school.

We had one mom and pop convenience store that sold pizza, burgers, fries, etc. within reasonable walking distance for lunch and that was it. It was always packed and I always hated going there. Even when I was a high schooler, I hated 90% of high schoolers. But that's another thread....

Hmm... I seem to recall that too. Monday and Wednesdays in the 90s, maybe? There was a McD's right across the street from my high school and while I couldn't stand being around that many high school students to go (in grade 9 I felt the crowd there was too old and in OAC I felt the crowd would be too obnoxiously young) I know people that loved the cheap eats.

Harvey's was like that in Highschool. Two burgers and a small drink would be 2.06 with tax. My friend would bring two dollars. No more...no less.