TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
milliondollarchamp

90210 is coming back to tv

Wow, this has disaster all over. Much like Degrassi, which hasn't just jumped the shark but has tapped danced over it while singing Broadway songs.

No one is allowed to be happy on that show EVER. Not EVER. If you start to get happy, you need to either be

a) raped

b) become addicted to something off the wall and incredibly stupid

c) get a horrible disease

d) killed

e) raped, preg, addicted to something and THEN killed once you clean up your life

or

f) have your happiness brutally ripped away from you and have your bf/gf raped and killed.

I still can't believe that people actually watch Degrassi (TNG). I seriously can't fathom ANYONE being interested in it. The reasoning won't enter my brain!

Well maybe Rob can put some of his magic into it.

I noticed from watching VM that he isn't the best writer, but very good at coming up with ideas. A lot of the episodes he wrote weren't the best ones in terms of dialogue, but were GREAT stories (ie when Duncan takes the baby to Mexico)

Wow, this has disaster all over. Much like Degrassi, which hasn't just jumped the shark but has tapped danced over it while singing Broadway songs.

No one is allowed to be happy on that show EVER. Not EVER. If you start to get happy, you need to either be

a) raped

d) killed

e) raped, preg, addicted to something and THEN killed once you clean up your life

or

f) have your happiness brutally ripped away from you and have your bf/gf raped and killed.

:blink:

Degrassi now is apparently DIFFERENT from when I was young.

a) raped

d) killed

or

:blink:

Degrassi now is apparently DIFFERENT from when I was young.

No shit. Degrassi in the old days may have had people jumping off bridges while high, sleazy teachers trying to molest their students, 13-year-olds getting pregnant, 14-year-olds with leukemia, 16-year-olds with HIV, 17-year-olds committing suicide at school, kids having their parents killed in a car accident and becoming alcoholics...

...what was my point, again?

I watched an episode of Degrassi: TNG once. It was goofy and some guy got his friend to run for class president against his sister (?) as a joke. Seemed like a typical Early Boy Meets World type comedy to me.

Then a few years later I watched it with the girl I was dating, who watched it a lot. The guy's friend had started dating the sister and got her pregnant or something and they broke up and everybody on the show was miserable and depressed and the guy, instead of getting back together with the girl like the episode seemed to be headed towards, got killed by some guy outside a party. I'm positive they were the same show, I just don't know what the hell happened.

If Vanessa Marcil or Tiffani Thiessen sign on I might watch.

I was thinking about I am sure some of the originals would probably come back ( for a paycheck)

Ian Ziering- is doin some reality show he would probably do it.

Tori Spelling- she would probably do it just to be on tv agian.

Brian Austin Green- was on that Terminator show I'm not sure how long that is gona last.

Gabrielle Carteris: she is Recovering from partial facial paralysis so she wont do it.

Luke Perry- Dylan Mckay on my tv agian would be awsome.

I'm not sure what Jason, Shannen & Jennie are doin these days.

And act half surprised yet completely elated to see the camera there.

Infront of a background that doesn't really exist anywhere naturally in the known universe, which inturn makes you wonder "Why the fuck are they there in the first place?"

What the hell else does he got to do? Actually, you can say the same thing about virtually every 90210 castmember except Tori Spelling. She's got crappy reality shows on WE (or is it Oxygen?) to do.

What the hell else does he got to do? Actually, you can say the same thing about virtually every 90210 castmember except Tori Spelling. She's got crappy reality shows on WE (or is it Oxygen?) to do.

or Jason Priestley, while he hasn't been in anything really major, looking at his IMDB profile he has been getting steady work

Perry has been in various stuff over the years, it's not like he was sitting around waiting for a 90210 reunion. All that matters is that Joe E. Tata is a regular again.

I forgot that Perry was in a bunch of stuff till I looked at his IMDB profile. It must have been odd to go from 90210 to Oz.

I always wanted Luke to show up on Buffy to reprise his role of Pike but it never happened.

The funny thing about 90210 was about how when the series started it had some-what realistic storylines about life as a wealthy teenager, but then it seemed like they started running out of ideas so the stories started becoming these elaborate dramas and just got so beyond imagination. That and it was hard to believe a circle of friends could remain friends with each other when everyone was sleeping with everyone elses friend, then going back to them, then the other person etc etc.....

Guest daygochika

If this spin-of is just a 'new class' deal, I'm not really sure why they're bothering.

I would assume that the target audience for teen shows is teens - but most teens today would not even have been born when 90210 premiered. They possibly could have caught the odd episode in the later years, but I don't see how they would have any understanding of how big it was in those first few seasons. The 90210 'brand' probably doesn't mean anything to them, the way it does to most late 20-somethings and up.

And it's not like there aren't other teen dramas around. In its day, 90210 was it. There was nothing like it - but since then 'teen drama' has become a whole genre. I can't see what '90210: the new class' would be bringing to the table that's not already been done. Rich kids go to high school? Fish-out-of-water? We've seen it all before. They would have to put a hell of a spin on it to make it different from everything else that's come out in the last 10 or so years.

Sure, 90210 ran for ten(?) seasons - and no other teen drama has topped that, but it wasn't really a teen drama for the last six or so of those years. There's a reason that most teen shows don't run that long these days - teens grow up, and keeping them together the way 90210 did in its later seasons generally doesn't work - it seems too contrived and silly. In my opinion, had 90210 been cancelled after season four, it probably would be remembered as a much better show.

Gah! I don't know if any of that makes sense. I'll still watch this new thing, whatever format it's in.

There is one thing that annoyed me about 90210.

Brenda and Brandon came to Beverly Hill and the show was basically about those two and how they would adapt to the new lifestyle. Then after they left, they kept the show going. I never go that. It would be like Buffy without Buffy or Entourage without Vincent Chase.

Or like Happy Days without Richie.

Or Laverne and Shirley without Shirley.

Or Valerie without Valerie! Well, they changed the name on that one, but you get the idea.

Variety Article On Spin-off (includes spoilery character descriptions)

It appears that the link between the two shows will be the Silvers as two of the teenage characters share the last name. The Cohen-esque Mills family at the center of the show is also a clear illusion to the Walshes. Seems like there's also a big focus on getting a more diverse cast.

Seems kinda interesting if very remniscent of other shows in this genre (particulary The O.C.). My guess is it'll all come down to the execution. But as long as Thomas remains involved, I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Well, I'm pretty sure there are a dozen shows about "Rich Young White Peoples Problems in California" airing on MTV alone.

.... But do they have sideburns?

or... do those shows even have writers?

I've caught more than a few minutes of "The Hills" or whatever hot garbage MTV was churning out that minute and... fuck... do people actually watch that shit?

Guest Vincent Vega

If they alter the theme music in any way then the show will fail before it begins.

Well, I'm pretty sure there are a dozen shows about "Rich Young White Peoples Problems in California" airing on MTV alone.

.... But do they have sideburns?

or... do those shows even have writers?

I've caught more than a few minutes of "The Hills" or whatever hot garbage MTV was churning out that minute and... fuck... do people actually watch that shit?

The Hills is one of the highest rated shows on MTV.