TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Diamonddust

Wrestlemania XXIV Discussion Thread

The fact that Taker is obviously winning now has killed my interest for the main event.

But Show-Mayweather was fun- that last shot was brutal

A buddy I was watching with summed up tonight's show perfectly: "They turned out the lights, and the party was over."

First half of the show was really entertaining... good action, a surprise in the MITB with Matt Hardy returning, an awesome Flair-Michaels match. Then they hit the second half of the show, the lights went out in the women's match and everything from that point on felt like a disjointed mess.

- Raw title match felt rushed. And I wonder how much the technical problems hindered the entrances.

- Speaking of which, anybody else get the feeling giving Orton the win was a last-minute decision. They had the most elaborate entrances and pre-match hype, complete with the boxing-style intros, yet it goes on before 10 p.m.

- Floyd-Show could've been a lot worse, but what they put out was about the best you could possibly hope for. Then again, for a match with that much hype, I think I'm fair in expecting a little bit better than "well, at least it didn't suck." And I don't know what the "shocking swerve" discussed before the show was supposed to be, but I had a feeling the knux were coming into to play when I saw the lackey wearing them in the locker room. Nothing that happened here was earth-shattering.

- The main event had us bored to tears until the final 5 minutes. And even then, Undertaker going over was so predictable that it killed any sense of real drama anyway.

The real shame of the final three matches being such a letdown was that it totally wasted what I thought was a really entertaining first half. JBL-Finlay, MITB and Flair-HBK were all really, really entertaining. I almost wonder if it was the second half of the show that was strong instead of the first if I would've still walked away feeling disappointed.

I'm very dissapointed -- maybe I just need it to sink it and rewatch it

My complaints

WHAT THE Beetlejuice WAS THAT TRIPLE THREAD MATCH ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stunned that Orton won, but not dissapointed . Pissed at the length of the match ( way to short !!!! ) and the finish -- a kick to the head ?? COME ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where does this put these 3 guys ? Both trips and Cena chasing the title ?

Also very pissed about the placement of the match ( in the mid card ????!!!!)

should have been the main event or right b4 it

Taker dosent need the extra rub of being in the main event and they put the most obvious outcome at the end???

I had no idea who was gonna win the triple threat ( I was guessing HHH) so and exciting long matcch with a ton of near falls would have been perfect main event - even with a heel winning

MITB match stole the show as always - STUNNED but happy my boy CM Punk won. Guess you cant believe all those internet roumors about the agent hating him and keeping him down - wonder if the plant those on purpose

If Hardy was ready to wrestle.. why not a MVP vs Hardy match -- It was the fued of the year IMO .

Was guessing an MVP win in the MITB match because of what I mentioned above-- seemed pointless to have him and Y2J in there

How about a MVP - Y2J match ?? arrrgggg

Flair match dissapointed - wish it was longer and way to many missed spots and botches

Finley - JBL was was it was suppose to be

I was very impressed with the Big Show - Mayweather match

I was ready to shit on it and thought it was gonna be brutal -- suprised me

Overall it didnt have a wrestlemania "feel" to it

OH...... and Taker / edge was match of the night , but i was hoping the Flair- HBK match and the triple threat were going to be just as good or better

Dissapointing....

Man, highlight of the night for me was the Flair/HBK match. Anyone notice when Flair got up after the 2nd SCM, he was crying? Like he knew the next moment in that match would be the last of his career. Not only did he tell HBK to "bring it", he was crying while doing it.

This was a fantastic show from top to bottom with very, very few downsides. The atmosphere was tremendous from the look of the venue, the tightness of the crowd (as opposed to the sprawling from last year) and the weather maintained, thus avoiding any bad situations. The opener was a bit of a surprise but looking back it was probably the right decision even if a heel did go over. I never really expected this to be an incredible brawl as some were hoping but it delivered enough for an opener. I did think this would be more of a fisticuffs bloodletting brawl but instead it was your typical hardcore plunder match. JBL winning was a surprise in that heels don’t often win openers at WM and it means this abomination of a storyline isn’t over just yet.

Money in the Bank will always deliver as long as those involved are suited for the match. That was the biggest key to that horrible MITB: 2 involving Flair, Lashley and Finlay. That MITB also had a clear cut winner. This one didn’t. Going into this match, the general consensus ranged from Kennedy repeating, MVP winning to elevate him, Jericho by virtue of being the top guy in the match and Punk because he stood to gain the most from it. This edition was another great one. Starting with the moonsault with the ladder very early in the match from Morrison, whom was an afterthought heading into this match. Morrison was involved in the next great spot, the suplex/sunset flip combo off the ladder. That isn’t a new spot in ladder matches but it’s always a crowd pleaser. Throughout the match, they made it a point to remind the viewers how close CM Punk came to winning last year. Something that would come in play here.

Also this is the match where TNA decided to be creative and have the airplane with the banner fly around. WWE made sure it never got on TV. Mission failed for TNA, just like every publicity attempt they ever make. Shelton Benjamin is crazy and while his involvement tonight was very limited, he made up for it in style. In what has to be considered a very unnecessary spot, he did the fall through the ladder spot similar to last year with Jeff and Edge. That was something of its own but the reaction from Carlito and Kennedy sold it even more. John Morrison did more good spots including the leaning ladder climb. The Walls on the ladder is always a great visual. The backstabber off the ladder was another good spot as well as the usage of the apple. What I love about MITB is that everyone can get a moment of shine, even the very lowest guy on the totem pole. Matt Hardy made the predictable but effective return here. People have been calling for that spot ever since MVP was added to the match and they weren’t disappointed. The sun going down during this match as they were all climbing and falling made for a very nice addition to the visual element of this match. Punk returning the favor to Kennedy was a good mark of continuity. The finish with Jericho and Punk, the two decisive faces in this match was slightly awkward but the right guy went over here. Any doubt the fans aren’t behind Punk got tossed aside during the ovation for his win. This match lacked the dramatic greatness of the original or the in-match storylines as last year but it was well done.

Festus played the role of Eugene this year in the Santino-Snoop segment. It was a cute enough skit aside from the shameless Foley part. Luckily, this was the lone comedy skit.

Umaga and Batista was a disappointment. These guys are capable of something good and it felt like they could have gotten there if they had the time they didn’t Batista might need to look into a new finisher since he can’t seem to hit the Batista Bomb half the time these days. Hopefully, they can get another match with more time soon.

ECW Title is considered a joke by most and tonight’s record breaking match didn’t change that perception at all, even if it was slightly cute. At least Chavo earns a WM paycheck in a 2 second match. It’s great for all those Make a Wish people to get a moment but never bring that girl back again. Also, I’m not sure if she was wasted here considering her complete lacks of skills in anything but why bother with Kadasharin if that’s all they intended to do with her.

Flair. Shawn. Amazing. It was the match we all expected and then some. The crowd was incredibly receptive to this match. This was a very heavy match and it really felt as if it ascended beyond just a WM match. If this wasn’t Flair last match, it’d still been a very good affair between the two but it certainly added a tremendous deal of importance. Shawn tried his hardest; in fact, he might have tried to hard. Flair took some hard shots, especially the first SCM. It’s all about the finish. Flair tried to cheat his way out for another night but time was expiring and in the end, Shawn had to do what he had to do. “I’m Sorry. I love you” will be the defining image of this show for years to come.

Playboy Bunny Match? ugh. It was even more horrid then we ever imagined it to be. I’m not sure the lights going out hurt the match or helped it. They couldn’t make this the 2 second match?

The Triple Threat match and its placement made this match more suspect then it otherwise would have been. At first, it felt like this would echo the WMXX match and it even paralleled certain spots but the finish wasn’t anything like that match. The ending was effective and kept everyone strong but especially Orton. The sell of the match was that Orton was the forgotten match and that factored into the result. Some pointed out about the supposed lameness of Cena and his entrance, but I liked it. I liked all three of the entrances. After a couple years of intricate entrances, they were all low key.

TBS-Mayweather was a genuine surprise. It should have been an absolute train wreck but it wasn’t. In fact, it was thoroughly entertaining. They did everything right for all those involved. Mayweather comes off as the asshole that he was intended to be and TBS looks very strong for thwarting off about 6 attack attempts. Was Charles Evans the guy who took the choke slam? It looked similar to him and I don’t think they’d have some guy in Floyd’s camp take that bump. The best part of the finish? It won’t be embarrassing when it’s replayed on ESPN and other news sources tomorrow. Remember Trump’s shitty take on the Stunner?

The main event was very good, even if it was the paint by numbers stuff for all UT matches. The finish had the crowd absolutely riveted, even if the finish was academic. The crowd was great all night in virtually every match except for the one that didn’t deserve it. Good show all around. Not sure if it’ll hold up but that’s for the future to determine.

Anyone else notice Flair crying as he got up from the 2nd SCM, as he told Shawn to bring on another one? It was surreal just seeing Flair knowing his time was up. Crying while getting up, crying on the mat. It just didn't matter how he lost, that will be a visual in my eyes for a long, long time.

Well I guess everyone that posted between 10:12 and 12:03 got hosed.

Anyway, I loved the show. There seems to be a lot of debate about the volume of the crowd - I thought it sounded fine and I loved the atmosphere, but someone reading Meltzer's recap would think they couldn't be heard due to the terrible atmosphere.

Flair vs. Michaels stole the show and was a tremendous piece of business. "I'm sorry, I love you". Great. I'm not going to lie, I was 'getting soft' at the end visual of Flair and Michaels crying.

I liked Edge's character motivation for wanting to end Taker's streak, they should have done the "I was crushed at Mania VI so today's kids can go to hell and be crushed too" angle on TV.

I'll probably be lazy and C&P the thoughts I sent to Meltz when he posts them.

I hated this show tonight except for Flair vs Shawn, which was excellent. Probably the worst WrestleMania I've ever watched live (watched them all since X). The Cole and Coach were AWFUL in the main event. Seriously brutal. Coach in particular.

Flair vs HBK was worth the money for me though. Most satisfying match I've seen since WM XIX Rock vs Austin.

I didn't think the show was that great, thought it paled to the last few Wrestlemanias. While the ending to Flair v. HBK was awesome, I didn't think the match as a whole was amazing.

Taker v. Edge was a great main event, but I just hate Taker and his streak so much that the ending killed me. And I wish they had just let Finlay go over, hopefully this leads to a rematch where he legally kills JBL

I hated this show tonight except for Flair vs Shawn, which was excellent. Probably the worst WrestleMania I've ever watched live (watched them all since X). The Cole and Coach were AWFUL in the main event. Seriously brutal. Coach in particular.

Flair vs HBK was worth the money for me though. Most satisfying match I've seen since WM XIX Rock vs Austin.

Worse then 13 and 15? I didn't think it was that great, but come on