TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aero

Smackdown vs. Raw 2009: News/screens

That's not a Special Ed. box. The Special Ed is ps3 only this year but comes in a "steel cage" wrapping and includes a bonus disc of content in the vein of a "best of: Smackdown / Raw" matches or something.

That highlight reel thing's been getting some talk at the IGN boards about it being a way to create a Titantron for your CAW instead of using someone else's or just going with the "WWE" or "WWE Legend" screen

I'm very happy to be able to make my own Titantron, coming out to another guy's for my CAW always was just so odd.

Achievements

While there appears to be a good reason, do note that Triple H's story mode achievement is worth twice as much as everyone's, except for Rey & Batista.

Looks like Triple H's story is twice as long, or something?

Thanks for the Achievements list. Should be cool. I thought there was a story for CM Punk too. Does it just not have an achievement?

It could be a secret achievement, or the achievement was HHHard to implement.

I'm gonna guess one of the hidden achievements (probably one of the 30s) is making your own custom tron, or using the highlight reel feature for whatever it's for.

Edit: Maybe the Punk story unlocks after you finish the other 5, and it's the other 30 point hidden achievement?

Achievements

While there appears to be a good reason, do note that Triple H's story mode achievement is worth twice as much as everyone's, except for Rey & Batista.

Looks like Triple H's story is twice as long, or something?

Well looks like he's got a DX, and Evolution storyline line...so yea.

Every year, THQ and Yuke's put out a WWE game, and every year, fans piss and moan because the roster is out of date -- someone switched shows, someone won a championship, and so on.

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 gives you the power to shut up and fix any continuity errors.

Yes, via the Roster Editor, fans can pop into the game's roster and switch Superstars to whatever brand they like (Raw, SmackDown, ECW, Free Agent, Legend, or a special classification that's only available after being unlocked), swap titles, decide who is clean and who is dirty, as well as view stats and Abilities. In addition to the Roster Editor, SVR 09 packs a feature called Team Management. Here, you can create or destroy tag teams, give the duo a name, or add others to the stable.

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20081009031208134-000.jpg

The power is yours.

These changes only affect the exhibition stuff -- i.e. changing a champion isn't reflected in Road to WrestleMania or Career Mode -- but both of these modes are good for every character -- created, unlocked, Diva, etc. -- in the game and available from the moment you turn on the system.

credit - Greg Miller, ps3.ign.com

I know they're going to have Achievements... but have they announced if they're going to have Trophies?

These changes only affect the exhibition stuff -- i.e. changing a champion isn't reflected in Road to WrestleMania or Career Mode

So it's useless, then.

No, it's not. As was said, many fans have wanted this for a while, since the rosters always out of date, myself included. And it was always stupid, to have a superstar on the wrong show for a whole year until the next game, only for them to eventually jump back in real life, and once again have an inaccurate roster.

Ex. HHH in 2008 with his RAW background, even though he's on SD. Sure, it doesn't really affect anything, and it's purely aesthetic but it was just annoying to have someone on the wrong show. Glad they've changed it.

I'm also sure there will be those who create their own rosters.

I can understand it not affecting Road to Wrestlemania, as they're fully scripted scenes in there. But Career mode is supposed to be a no-frills series of matches, right? I don't see any reason why it CAN'T affect that.

I can understand it not affecting Road to Wrestlemania, as they're fully scripted scenes in there. But Career mode is supposed to be a no-frills series of matches, right? I don't see any reason why it CAN'T affect that.

That's what I was trying to get at. If the Career mode is any good people will be playing that and not just random Exhibition matches all the time, save for when you've got a friend over and then you have to have Exhibitions. Seems like a waste to put in an editing mode "to keep the roster up to date" that does nothing for the two biggest pieces of single player where being up-to-date would actually matter.

That's what I was trying to get at. If the Career mode is any good people will be playing that and not just random Exhibition matches all the time, save for when you've got a friend over and then you have to have Exhibitions. Seems like a waste to put in an editing mode "to keep the roster up to date" that does nothing for the two biggest pieces of single player where being up-to-date would actually matter.

But you can edit the career mode rosters from the start...

There was a video up on IGN not to long ago showing that. It's the same as every other year where exhibition, GM, and Season mode, were 3 different things with 3 different rosters/sets of champions.

And I've always used exhibition the most.

I remember seeing the roster editor. You can only do it when you start career mode, though, if I am remembering it correctly. No changing general rosters once you've begun a wrestler's career path (but your wrestler can jump to go after new titles), at least that's how I understood it.

So did Yukes take out that stupid "If you make your CAW into a "dirty" wrestler, he can only use certain moves. If you make your CAW into a "clean" wrestler, well he can only do certain moves." rule then?

highlight reel maker was dropped today. No mention of making your own tron :(

You can piece together bits and pieces of your match and edit it with various sound-clips, music files and other goodies to make your own little DVD reel.

In the video they showed the ability for you to toss someone off the HIAC and thru the announce table.

Kind of strange...you can create your own in-game video and sound editing, but the game won't be able to use it as a video option for your Titantron? I love the idea of the Highlight Reel, but how hard would it have been to allow the option of integrating it into the Titantron videos? Cool, yet a little bit of a let-down.

Holy shit, that highlight reel looks awesome. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/919/919438p1.html)

I was just playing Saints Row the other day and did something cool and was thinking how it needed a replay feature like Halo has. Hell, every game needs one. And this looks extremely similar to that. I love the camera being able to just move freely around the ring during the match. I probably won't use the actual reel maker, but I'm sure I will watch awesome spots that I do over and over again.

I also like how you were able to make a DVD cover for it that looked pretty sweet. With this, as well as CAF, also being able to edit the default rosters, which is probably a non-issue for most people, and finally no legends, which means a much better/larger roster (IMO) I'd definitely say as far as features go, things are looking up this year.

my only issue with no legends is that certain mannerisms / moves might be taken out of the game which in my case will suck when I use the CAW feature.

create a belt is out. In order to add Highlight Reel and CAF, they took the belt making option out as apparently, fans never played with the mode.

Source: GamingRing article