TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aero

Smackdown vs. Raw 2009: News/screens

March 27, 2008 - It's been about four months since we had any substantial grappling news from THQ, but the Los Angeles County-based publisher put an end to that today: WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 is coming.

Although it won't be formally announced until tomorrow, THQ has confirmed with IGN that the latest installment in the storied wrestling franchise will be making its way to the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP, PlayStation 2 and mobile devices this fall while boasting a bevy of bells and whistles.

On the Xbox 360, PS3, PSP and PS2, the biggest change in the action will come with a strong focus on tag teams. For the first time ever, players will be able to team up for co-op storylines in the Road to WrestleMania mode and take advantage of an overhauled tag structure to earn attributes on their way to the top. Tag teams -- both in and out of Road to WrestleMania -- will utilize the same momentum meter, break opponents with double team finishers and make "hot tags" for the win. Also making its debut will be Create-A-Finisher, which allows fans to choose from more than 500 animations in their quest to build the ultimate move. Specifically on the 360 and PS3, fans can look for the debut of SVR downloadable content, although THQ is mum about what it might be.

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 marks the franchise's second title on the Wii, and THQ looks to be building on the motion controls and interactivity of the first outing. The game promises more match types, more weapons and the debut of online gameplay, which will feature matches and rankings. Although the title will pack Road to WrestleMania like the aforementioned versions, the Wii copy of SVR '09 will be the only place to find interactive entrances and victory celebrations that range from posing on the ramp to slapping the taste out of a beaten opponent. Successfully get the crowd hyped on your way to the ring and you'll get an in-match bonus.

Seasoned players who pick up SVR '09 on the Nintendo DS will probably be in for more than a few surprises. Gone are the stylus-heavy controls of last year and in their place is a more traditional d-pad/grapple system gamers that have grown up with, although the stylus will still play some part in the action. Being developed by Tose, the folks behind Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, the DS version of SVR '09 will pack a season mode with an RPG approach. Players will interact with Superstars, upgrade their abilities and complete missions to become the champion. Create-A-Superstar will make its Nintendo handheld debut, there will be a larger roster of Superstars, and the title will pack a wealth of new match types.

Rest in peace."The ambitious cross-platform launch of WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 last year yielded tremendous growth for the franchise, as we delivered multiple gameplay experiences across seven platforms and greatly expanded our audience of WWE videogame fans," said Bob Aniello, senior vice president, worldwide marketing, THQ. "With dynamic new features and the extension of our gameplay experience through downloadable content, WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 will bring more console, handheld and wireless gamers together to enjoy the virtual world of WWE."

Think that's all the news you'll get on this momentous day? It's not even close. First, let's confirm that Chris Jericho, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Randy Orton, Mr. Kennedy, Undertaker and John Cena are all in the game. Second, why not click on over to our interview with THQ Creative Manager Cory Ledesma for nine pages of information about what Road to WrestleMania is all about, hints on the DLC and tons more. Then, go download the brand new trailer. Next, grab some screens from the gallery below.

After all that, you have our permission to fall into a SVR '09 coma until the fall.

Last year's game was the first one that I didn't bother to get. Hopefully we'll get a decent sized/accurate/up-to-date roster this year as well as new features and improvements. The whole tag team theme sounds good. Every other SD game I've played just didn't have fun tag team matches. They seemed like a hassle any time you had to have on in a season. I'll be up to buying this pending improvement.

Besides, if tag teams are the theme, surely we'll have to get guys that are normally left out like London & Kendrick, right?

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-tba-20080327074406901_640w.jpg

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-screens-20080324081647733_640w.jpg

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-tba-20080327074403792_640w.jpg

I have no faith in the series anymore. I think a year off and a total creative overhaul is needed to regain some footing and focus on what really needs to be done and what doesn't, but that'll never happen as long as it continues to bring in money.

I mean, all this is fine. However, in the end all it does is leave something else unattended. It seems they dream big and have all these great ideas every year that sound good on paper. But overlooking the little things like they tend to do, it only makes the game worse when you have concepts and things left over from nearly a decade ago beneath the constant attempts to modernize the series. I know this a problem that people have with something like Madden, but if not a year off, then SvR needs one of those incremental upgrades where they go back and straighten out the little things before going back to big concepts again. For a series that's as old as it is, it wouldn't hurt. I know people would bitch for the time being, but it would come out better in the long run.

Anyway, over/under on whether they attempt to tweak the grapple system again, only to make it worse and more limiting than before?

I agree with you Geedorah. Yukes is starting to get like EA an will upgrade or add one thing/gimmick and leave all of the other issues alone. There's a lot of small things that need fixing that would help make the Smackdown vs Raw games a whole of a lot better than what they are.

Some things I suggest to help make the game better.

-More design options for CAW

-Fix the Create-a-belt design feature. Jesus Christ, I'd love to look at centerplates without having to see a giant fucking center piece that blocks the entire design of the centerplate.

-Stop making picking looks or clothes for a CAW so damn complicated.

One thing I've been dissapointed with mostly about the Smackdown vs Raw games, is that Yukes has tried to make picking your entertance, ring attire, and backstage attire compressed into one giant selection area, instead of spacing the different selections out. There should be one tab for facial features, body types, ring attire, enterance attire, and backstage area.

-Fix the fucking custom camera angles for CAW. Why is picking different custom angles for your CAW such a pain in the ass? Pick angle 1, then two seconds later, you have to click camera angle 1 ten freaking times to make sure it's correct for each and every freaking step you take.

Here's how you fix the issue, make tabs for enterance way, Ramp, and ring. Each tab gets it's own camera angle of your choosing, however you only get to choose one camera angle for that part of the enterance. We don't need to freaking have 10 different camera shots for 10 steps of your CAW's enterance. Keep it simple.

-Stop making it so the only way you can get extra attibrute points for your wrestler is to go through a long ass storymode that no one can play until you finish it. I have friends play the game and they'll make their own wrestler, however they can't upgrade their wrestler stat wise but I haven't finished story line mode yet. It's honestly a pain in the ass and slows a lot of things down when you want to play against or with your friends.

However I do like the co-op storyline idea.

These are just some of things I can think of that need fixing. I think I'm gonna rent this game again and see how it turns out. I was really dissapointed with last years game so I'm hoping they actually try and fix it up.

Confirmed features thus far from Rajah.com

THQ, the creator of WWE's beloved videogame franchise "SmackDown vs. RAW" has revealed the first details for the 2009 edition. Here is what's new for this year's SmackDown vs. RAW game:

-- The game will be available on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP, PlayStation 2 and mobile devices

-- The biggest change in the action will come with a strong focus on tag teams. Tag teams -- both in and out of Road to WrestleMania -- will utilize the same momentum meter, break opponents with double team finishers and make "hot tags" for the win. For the first time ever, players will be able to team up for co-op storylines in the Road to WrestleMania mode and take advantage of an overhauled tag structure to earn attributes on their way to the top. You can read a 9-page interview with the game developers here where they talk in-depth about the Road to Wrestlemania feature.

-- Also making its debut will be Create-A-Finisher, which allows fans to choose from more than 500 animations in their quest to build the ultimate move.

-- On the 360 and PS3 versions of the game, fans can look for the debut of SVR downloadable content - including downloadable superstars, legends, arenas, outfits, music, movesets and more.

-- On the Nintendo Wii, there will be more match types, more weapons and the debut of online gameplay, which will feature matches and rankings. The Wii version be the only place to find interactive entrances and victory celebrations that range from posing on the ramp to slapping the taste out of a beaten opponent. Get the crowd hyped on your way to the ring for an in-match bonus.

-- On the Nintendo DS version, Gone are the stylus-heavy controls of last year and in their place is a more traditional d-pad/grapple system gamers that have grown up with, although the stylus will still play some part in the action. There will be a season mode with an RPG approach. Players will interact with Superstars, upgrade their abilities and complete missions to become the champion. Create-A-Superstar will make its Nintendo handheld debut, there will be a larger roster of Superstars, and the title will pack a wealth of new match types.

-- So far Chris Jericho, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Randy Orton, Mr. Kennedy, Undertaker and John Cena are confirmed for the game.

As someone who buys Madden once every few years and doesn't really pay attention to it in between, what I meant to infer was what seems to be a common gripe with the series, in that every edition is merely an incremental upgrade over the last, or so I hear. However, in SvR's case, such a tactic every now and then would only be a benefit, a chance to look at what needs to really be fixed without the need to do too much. It was only after Madden took a much needed break in 96 on the Playstation that they were able to adequately prepare themselves for the next, and so on, rather than release a sub-standard game and attempt to build off that. But speaking of Madden, it's usually already tight in other areas and I've never seen a new 'big' feature of theirs really take away from the game, unlike SvR.

I think I mentioned it last year, but regarding CAW, it's quite behind what we should be able to do after a decade of having the option. It could be more than it is, but due to whatever reason, it's very limiting when it could be much more free and simply better. The crotch and ass blur isn't even funny at this point, that we can't flip images if we want is a pain, we should be able to 'slide' tattoos, pictures, etc., wherever we want on the body instead of being limited by region, and instead of being limited to a few sizes for a design part we should be able to modify size like we would, say, sleeve length. Considering they keep taking away design (patterns, for example) and moves options, it's really doing nothing but regressing at this point. I believe the one bit of progress recently has been the addition of more layers and the ability to add entrance music on next gen.

I'm not a complete pessimist so I'll admit to having wanted and liking Create A Finisher and downloadable content.

I hope they go back to at LEAST the '07 controls, because I couldn't even play '08 for more than a minute due to how horrible the fucking controls were. What the fuck good are having grapple moves if you can't even fucking do them?

Finally, Create-A-Finisher. I've been wanting that since Wrestlemania 2000 came out. This will be my first SD game in four years.

I've had it since Wrestlemania 2000 came out; they called it a GameShark. I'm guessing it's going to work (and look) exactly the same.

here's the trailer for those who want to see it.

I just hope making Created Wrestlers doesn't suck as hard this year. I can't make very many accurate CAWs if I want to use them or trade them online because using Logos or designs that you have to move and/or size makes your CAW ineligible to be used online. This game also needs to fix the targeting (there wasn't any in 2008) and the submission system so everyone doesn't have the Camel Clutch, Boston Crab, Dragon Sleeper or the Bow and Arrow. I had to give my Kurt Angle CAW the STFU because no one would tap to the Ankle Lock.

It'll take something impressive for me to get this game on launch day and not hold out for a traded copy. The last 2 years have been really poor. Would dumping the PS2 version help PS3 and 360 versions? I know its 2 different teams, but surely that's time and resources that could have been used on next gen versions.

Anyway, over/under on whether they attempt to tweak the grapple system again, only to make it worse and more limiting than before?

Good, cause they do it every year.

Such as

I hope they go back to at LEAST the '07 controls, because I couldn't even play '08 for more than a minute due to how horrible the fucking controls were. What the fuck good are having grapple moves if you can't even fucking do them?

The controls for the 360 were terrible to the point where the game wasn't even fun or worth owning.

Frankly I'd be fine if they dropped the CAW feature all together. I don't have 3 hours to sit down and make a wrestler that I'll probably only use once or twice. IMO, the CAW was at it's best in the N64 days. Simple and to the point, it never took me more than 30-45 minutes to create someone.

Lack of targeting aside, there's nothing wrong with the 360 controls.

After playing Fire Pro R, SD! is kinda lacking, though.

One thing I want is alternate attires for CAWs. As well as being able to use more than 30 slots for CAWing.

This is offtopic, a bit, but I haven't played 2008 - did they fix all the bullshit little things that were wrong with 2007?

Stuff like:

-Lilian announcing, but Chimel being in the ring

-Only one wrestler's name in a tag team being announced

..and so-on.

I was originally going to say that with this focus on tag teams, I hope they actually FIX some of the cosmetic stuff about tag teams, but then I realized that may have been taken care of in 2008. :)

I think a alternate entrances for certain superstars would be cool as an unlockable feature. HHH's and Cena's WM23, Cena's Backlash '05, HBK's zipline, Wrestlemania carts, or any of taker's. That or be able to customize a "wrestlemania entrance" for people.

-Cheex

Fuck that, I just knew not to even touch the Wii verison.

If this game is centered around tag teams, does that mean we'll get proper tag team entrances.

Cryme Time coming out as seperate wrestlers in the last game was so stupid.

Fuck that, I just knew not to even touch the Wii verison.

Fuck the Wii version, the DS version was the definition of shit....all touch based controls.

If this game is centered around tag teams, does that mean we'll get proper tag team entrances.

Cryme Time coming out as seperate wrestlers in the last game was so stupid.

Cryme Tyme came out together on the Nintendo version. It was actually pretty cool.

After seeing the little spot on X-Play about the game last night, I think I'm going to have to buy it.

Mainly for the "Create-a-finisher" feature that you got to see a little part of. You can apparently pick the beginning of your finisher, the set-up and the move it ends with. You'll be able to apply it to any of your CAW's or to any of the standard wrestlers in the game. A spot had Cena lifting someone up in a reverse fireman's carry then pop him up into the air and finish with a DDT of some sort.