TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 3/30 - 4/6

Guest Bullshiterica

I haven't really seen the architecture of it yet. The field itself is unremarkable. Pretty backstop.

With climate change causing more frozen precipitation over the Great Lakes, April blizzards are the new normal. Just to be on the safe side, I'd rather get 12 to 14 games logged before the Cubs come home, and go light on the home games until the third week of May. Since everyone is already in the south at the end of March, just have everyone migrate north gradually.

I'd rather freeze my ass off then live another week without baseball.

Guest Bullshiterica

JUST PLAY THE GAMES IN PHOENIX, HOUSTON, ST. LOUIS, AND MILWAUKEE

IT MAKES MORE SENSE TO BACKLOAD YOUR HOME GAMES THAN FRONTLOAD THEM IN CHICAGO

Guest Smues

And my internet connection comes back half way through the game. Hudson's looked great after that first inning, so I'm encouraged. And Chipper hitting the first homerun in the new park is great of course. From what I've seen on TV so far the new stadium doesn't look like anything special, but it looks nice enough. And I like the script W in the outfield.

Guest Smues

The Career Builder ad they've played a few times is incrediblyc reepy to me for some reason.

Guest Bullshiterica

Sorry about the end of that game, Smooze.

So I guess they had another Civil Rights Game the other day. To what extent is it a "crisis" that the percentage of blacks, i.e., U.S. citizens of West African slave descent (clarification necessary as Alfonso Soriano is both an African and American, if we want to get technical, but "he doesn't count") in the bigs is down to 8%? Is it a matter of the interest not being there anymore with the sporting landscape changing since 1947, wherein basketball and football offer a quicker/cheaper/more fun rise from abject poverty, or has the cost of developing young baseball talent in the United States gotten so prohibitively expensive that among blacks, it's only a viable pursuit for the middle class and higher? Somewhere in the middle? I have to laugh at Selig saying he's going to "do something" about it. Do what? Bud can't even seem to figure out that early April is cold in the midwest, and he's from here.

On the other side of town, the White Sox revoked their waiver of Juan Uribe, and sent Josh Fields to the minors. I know this means Crede at third, which itself is ill-advised, but this also means second base may be played by Juan Uribe, or possibly even Pablo Ozuna, for all I know. There's no way this team can actually finish ahead of the Twins, is there?

In Cincinnati, Corey Patterson and Scott Hatteberg are your respective CF and 1B. Jay Bruce and Joey Votto were optioned and benched, resp. Don't worry, Dusty has nectarines in his mini-fridge or something, so he's really on top of things.

In St. Louis, Todd Wellemeyer is in the rotation, Anthony Reyes in the bullpen. Baseball is really making my head hurt right now.

As far as the african-american percentage, I think the big issue is simply that football and basketball offer greater scholarship opportunities. Black athletes have plenty of opportunity, they just pursue other sports.

The White Sox have Danny Richar, but he's on the disabled list. Pablo Ozuna is a temporary fix until Richar returns.

Baker is an idiot, that we know. Bruce only had a 1/3 season in AAA, so that's not a big deal. Votto should be playing right now, but it's not like Hatteberg is awful. Keeping Votto on the bench though at his age is detrimental.

Wellemeyer gave the Cards a 3.11 ERA right now. Reyes went 2-14 with a 6.04 ERA. I can see why the Cards would be loathe to put Reyes back in. They should trade him.

Guest (Loggins Name)

Torrentially. Tom Skilling said it might clear up between 2 and 6. This kinda sucks!

Guest (Loggins Name)

I wouldn't have been opposed to the Brewers opening up the season at all. Or, since the Cubs were just in Arizona and Las Vegas, they could open against the Dodgers, Padres, or DBags. Orrrrrrr they can play in Chicago on March 31st. Dumb.

The Brewers play TWO series in Chicago before they play one in Milwaukee! This is the most retarded scheduling ever.

Back in the County Stadium days Milwaukee was on the road for the first couple weeks all the time. I dont know why they decided an opening series in Chicago (especially after last year's early-season problems) would be a neat idea. This is going to be really lame if it gets rained out.

Guest (Loggins Name)

Nine home games in September. Single digits. Suck a dick, National League.

I love the old footage that they've been showing during this pregame show, though. Timeless stuff. The Ernie Banks statue looks nice, by the way. A fine addition.

Short delay for the Reds game, which I am heavily anticipating. I closed up shop at work and came home to enjoy the game. Hopefully it will be a good game, as it's Aaron Harang vs. Brandon Webb.

Guest (Loggins Name)

Hah! Oh, God. So they just showed a little more footage of the Ernie Banks ceremony, and guess who managed to find a big bunch of face time? If there's a camera, he's there!

Wellemeyer gave the Cards a 3.11 ERA right now. Reyes went 2-14 with a 6.04 ERA. I can see why the Cards would be loathe to put Reyes back in. They should trade him.

I don't disagree with the idea that they should trade him, but I also don't understand how stuffing Reyes in the bullpen really aids in his development or adds to his value for any potential trade suitors. Of course, that's of little concern to LaRussa and Duncan, who operate under the same kind of warped world-view that would lead one to think that butter makes a fine vegetable or that TV On The Radio would fare better as a bluegrass band (because there ain't nothing like that there music of the heartland).

The 2008 St. Louis Cardinals: This Year, We Drive The Fans To Drink Too