TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA 2008 - the home stretch

Guest Teal-y Dan

I wonder if the Bulls should go after Scott Skiles for their head coach vacancy. Conventional wisdom tells us to replace a players' coach with a disciplinarian, and Skiles would certainly fill the bill. He's shown that he can work very well with young players who are willing to buy into his system, which the Bulls should have a few of as they look to rebuild for the future, and he runs a team-oriented defense-first style that got his team into the playoffs for three consecutive years. As long as he's handed a cancer-free locker room (good thing they got rid of Wallace, he would never jell with Skiles, I bet), and young talent willing to hear some candid constructive criticism, Skiles is probably the best available coach on the market for the Bulls.

In the meantime, has the Bulls' promotions department arranged Jim Boylan Doormat Night yet?

No one wants to play defense anymore, they all want to play "Phoenix Suns ball." That's why you see coaches like Mike Woodson gainfully employed, while Rick Carlisle is working for ESPN.

That's why I always scratch my head when people say a team like the Knicks or the Hawks should hire Carlisle. Those are young teams would quickly tune him out, because his style is "not fun." If you have a team with veteran players that are ready to win now, that's the team that should hire a guy like Carlisle or Skiles. Depending on how Denver's season turns out, I think they may be well served to dump George Karl and look into Carlisle.

I wonder if the Bulls should go after Scott Skiles for their head coach vacancy. Conventional wisdom tells us to replace a players' coach with a disciplinarian, and Skiles would certainly fill the bill. He's shown that he can work very well with young players who are willing to buy into his system, which the Bulls should have a few of as they look to rebuild for the future, and he runs a team-oriented defense-first style that got his team into the playoffs for three consecutive years. As long as he's handed a cancer-free locker room (good thing they got rid of Wallace, he would never jell with Skiles, I bet), and young talent willing to hear some candid constructive criticism, Skiles is probably the best available coach on the market for the Bulls.

In the meantime, has the Bulls' promotions department arranged Jim Boylan Doormat Night yet?

Haha, awesome post. But indeed, firing Skiles was the first (and worst) move in a series of terrible ones this season.

Guest Teal-y Dan
No one wants to play defense anymore, they all want to play "Phoenix Suns ball." That's why you see coaches like Mike Woodson gainfully employed, while Rick Carlisle is working for ESPN.

If you have a team with veteran players that are ready to win now, that's the team that should hire a guy like Carlisle or Skiles.

Here's the catch-22 with that, though: young players, with whom Skiles works best, apparently have no interest in playing his defense, but the veteran players likely have no interest in being barked at by a small white fellow with a pole up his ass. If there's no way he can get the youngsters to buy in at the NBA level, then his future is in the college game.

That's why I always scratch my head when people say a team like the Knicks or the Hawks should hire Carlisle. Those are young teams would quickly tune him out, because his style is "not fun." If you have a team with veteran players that are ready to win now, that's the team that should hire a guy like Carlisle or Skiles. Depending on how Denver's season turns out, I think they may be well served to dump George Karl and look into Carlisle.

Mike woodson wouldn't know offense if it slapped him in the face.

He is a horrible offensive minded coach and while he might have some semblace of an idea of how to be a defensive coach, he will do dumb stuff like put Josh Childress on the fastest guy on the court. Mike Woodson is employed because the Hawks ownership is so cheap, they don't want to pay him for his salary and pay another coach.

It was reported that Billy knight tried to fire him 3 times but he wasn't allowed.

Yeah, I didn't word that very well, at all. What I was trying to say was that defensively, Woodson doesn't appear to be much of a disciplinarian in comparison to a Skiles or Carlisle. I've heard those guys referred to as "micromanagers", which Skiles does seem like a bit of a tightass, but I've never seen that with Carlisle, really. Maybe I'm just a bit biased towards him, but the only guys I've seen actively complain about him are knuckleheads like Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley, so I don't really put much stock into that.

Well, Carlise was stubborn when it came to game planning. I think he can get you alot of wins in the regular season, but in the playoffs, you have to adjust and he just wasn't willing to do that.

Skiles is a dick because he enjoys being a dick to certain players just because. I know, everyone knows I have a passionate dislike for the guy as a coach, but seriously, Skiles has gotten nearly universal condemnation from players in both places he has been. Thats just down right impressive.

Guest Teal-y Dan

The players love Jim Boylan, and that didn't get them anywhere. I bet Chris Duhon was able to steal his lunch money once.

Even if the Nuggets beat the Warriors on the road, they have games with Houston and Utah coming up, while Golden State has Phoenix. The Sacramento and Seattle losses were inexcusable and if it comes down to that, then heads should roll. If the Nuggets get in regardless, but fail to improve on their usual playoff act, that would/should also call for a change.

I never thought of Carlisle. I had Jeff Van Gundy in mind. Some others want Larry Brown. I'm not so sure about that one.

The players love Jim Boylan, and that didn't get them anywhere.

Boylan's problem isn't that he's too likable, it's that he doesn't have a fucking clue when it comes to things like actually coaching a basketball team. For proof of this look at Tyrus Thomas's game logs. No player's minutes should fluctuate that wildly. Either the kid's good enough to play 25+ minutes a night or he's not. Make up your mind.

Guest Teal-y Dan

I never said that he didn't have both of those problems. He's really just pathetic at every aspect of running a team.

Tyrus Thomas can go piss up a rope. There's a guy who just doesn't have a brain. That LaMarcus Aldridge trade was horrible.

I never said that he didn't have both of those problems. He's really just pathetic at every aspect of running a team.

Tyrus Thomas can go piss up a rope. There's a guy who just doesn't have a brain. That LaMarcus Aldridge trade was horrible.

Yeah. both teams got screwed on that one.

Well, not both. The Blazers didn't.

Good win for the Suns. They didn't take their foot off the gas like they did against Dallas, and they needed this win.

Oh, and Bruce Bowen is still a bitch.

I can't believe Bowen hasn't gotten into a fight yet with the bullshit he pulls.

Whenever someone makes a move at Bowen he either flops or ducks behind a teammate or referee.

Guest Vitamin X

You kidding me? That was awesome. Kevin Pritchard is a master con artist. He turned Tyrus Thomas and Randy Foye into LaMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy. That's awesome.

Well I guess I'll always have the memories of the Mavericks series. Hopefully the Warriors won't go 13 years between playoff appearances again.

How did Luke Walton go from being one of the most important parts of the Lakers to the worse player in their rotation within a year?

Well I guess I'll always have the memories of the Mavericks series. Hopefully the Warriors won't go 13 years between playoff appearances again.

We'll all have memories of the Mavericks series. I'll never forget that.

That said, I don't think the Warriors will go 13 years between playoff appearances, because they have some talented young guys (Ellis, Biedrins, Azubuike, Pietrus, etc) that'll help bring them back to the playoffs here in the near future.

Provided of course that they can win a few more basketball games in the regular season...

I just don't trust the Nuggets enough to split the away/home back to back versus Utah and Houston. They have losing records against both while Golden State can definitely win against Phoenix and have the Clippers and Sonics at home. Memphis is the only sure thing on Denver's schedule.

You kidding me? That was awesome. Kevin Pritchard is a master con artist. He turned Tyrus Thomas and Randy Foye into LaMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy. That's awesome.

Well, to be fair, the Bulls never intended to draft Aldridge, as dumb as that sounds. They were sold on Thomas' "upside" after he had a good game against Aldridge in the NCAA's. They were going to draft Thomas with the second pick until Portland came to them, thinking they were going to draft LaMarcus. The Bulls got a free player in Khryapa...who amounted to nothing.

This is true.

That "Phoenix Suns ball" crap only works for so long, too.

Then come playoff time, we see these same teams exiting the playoffs earlier than 'expected'.

Provided of course that they can win a few more basketball games in the regular season...

Well, yeah.

Assuming they don't make it in this year, they will definitely be back within the next 5 years, if that.