TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

2008 Stanley Cup playoffs - first round

The ending in San Jose/Calgary is what makes playoff hockey the best sporting experience out there. I've never been so tense about two teams I don't care about, and Kipper was absolutely ridiculous in goal.

From what I had heard on Fox Sports Radio, Nabokov was as well for San Jose.

Nabokov robbed 2 or 3 sure fire goals away from the Flames.

That save on Nolan was ridiculous. Equally ridiculous was San Jose only getting one goal from six straight powerplays (with back to back 5 on 3's). Calgary is fortunate to have Kiprusoff at his best right now but Nabokov has been just as good.

I like Tom Gilbert but why oh why did Kevin Lowe just sign him to a 6-year, 24 million dollar contract. Just to compare, Ales Hemsky is making the same amount of money and now Joni Pitkanen is going to demand at least 6 per. Bring on the offer sheets.

I like Tom Gilbert but why oh why did Kevin Lowe just sign him to a 6-year, 24 million dollar contract. Just to compare, Ales Hemsky is making the same amount of money and now Joni Pitkanen is going to demand at least 6 per. Bring on the offer sheets.

Edmonton doesn't believe in the salary cap.

So I heard the Ducks PK was excellent. All four goals scored against them were PP. Wonderful :angry:

I don't venture in the sports section at all but I'm giving it a shot since I was in attendance yesterday for the Canadiens/Bruins game. If you thought it was loud on TV, it doesn't compare to being there live. The atmosphere was just crazy, I don't think I ever heard a reaction like the first five minutes of the game.

That being said, I'll agree that there's way too much "playoff fever" in Montreal right now. After the game, many fans went crazy celebrating on the streets and acting like it was 1993 all over again. There is just one game played in the first round, no need to riot on Ste Catherine's yet. Over course, the media is all over this but that's pretty much always like this in Montreal. When the Habs are on a winning run, they can do no wrong and they should just bring the Cup here since it's already won. However, when they're in a streak of bad games, you should get rid of half of the team. Just look at all the Kovalev love, that is just ridiculous. Yes, he has a good season and helped the team tremendously this year. But when all the sports shows, who bitched all season long last year that he was overpaid and couldn't wait to get rid of him, are comparing him to fucking Guy Lafleur, there are some serious logic gaps somewhere.

Still, a crazy crowd is way better than a crowd who just sit on their hands the whole match. I think when they'll go to Boston, it will be another ballgame and the Bruins could cause quite a surprise on their home ice....but I'm still predicting Montreal wins the series 4-2. :P

Ok, I am not one to get on Ovechkin for the goal celebrations, as it is nice to see someone having fun out there. But the man pile the Caps had after tying the game at 4 like they just scored a game 7 OT winner to win the cup was pretty gay.

And Jaroslav Modry still sucks at life

Excellent job by the Flyers of shitting the bed in the 3rd period. Not often does a team take over a game like that in the second and just completely forget to show up in the third.

Either way, going by tonight's game, neither of these teams gets past Pittsburgh or Montreal.

Guest Teal-y Dan
You think getting hit in the groin hurts, Patrick Thoreson might have one of his testical removed.

I also got rid of his private folder.

Good win for Detroit today. Hasek was excellent and if they get that kind of effort consistently they'll be tough to beat. My favorite moment though involved Greg Zanon. He was miked up and when Nashville scored the tying goal, he went over to shit talk Hasek, calling him an old fuck (or something close to that). Not even three minutes later karma gets him as Draper scores the game winner off of his skate.

Good win for Detroit today. Hasek was excellent and if they get that kind of effort consistently they'll be tough to beat. My favorite moment though involved Greg Zanon. He was miked up and when Nashville scored the tying goal, he went over to shit talk Hasek, calling him an old fuck (or something close to that). Not even three minutes later karma gets him as Draper scores the game winner off of his skate.

Yeah I thought that was funny. I wash Hasek would have knocked him out when he was celebrating.

All I'm asking for is for the Bruins to not let in a crippling goal early and possibly even get a lead. I don't think it's too much to ask, but...

No Wideman, no Kessel. Alberts and Sobotka in their place.

To the divers go the spoils.

Fuck you, Mike Leggo. If you're going to call Reich for tripping, call Markov for diving or at least make the call before it seems that the Bruins are going to get possession in Montreal's zone. It's bad enough that the Bruins have to compete against the Scabs, but to have to compete against the incompetance that is the NHL officials too is just ridiculous.

A fairly ticky-tack tripping call gives the Habs a power-play win in OT. The Bruins had plenty of opportunities to get on them early, but couldn't. This probably snaps Montreal out of whatever complacency they had and they'll take the next two by a combined score of like 11-2.

I don't believe Reich was going for the trip, just Markov just skating down the ice and the stick was there. There was no intent to trip.

If anything blame Thomas, two softies he let in tonight.

Not having Andy MacDonald is killing them, and Sammy Pahlsson is invisible.

Oh, and if they can stay out of the box, they might have a better shot.

These are just practice playoff games, right? They don't count!

I do like the LA Times' new motto for the Ducks - Wait 'till last year.

Anyway, it's good of the Ducks to build more suspense like this.