Sign in to follow this  
AnnieEclectic

ChocoSocko Roundtable: The Deep South

You Must Choose!  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Dirty South - Awesome or TL;DR

• Awesome
    • TL;DR

Outside of the South, Florida isn't considered part of the South. Unless you split the state in two, but people don't consider Miami to be "The Deep South"

It's just a perception of a non-Southerner, but that might be why.

The Carolinas? South. Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama? South. Florida? Ehhhhh.

I voted for awesome, though I'll admit there are some unawesome qualities to the south like any other area.

My main reason for picking awesome comes from the south's cultural impact. Just thinking of writers off the top of my head, there's Faulkner, Capote, Lee, and Williams. When it comes to music, the south can kinda claim most current forms via the influence of blues, country, bluegrass, etc.

Also jazz was invented in the South. Automatic Awesome.

Cracker Barrel + Jazz Music, you can't lose.

Nope, I'm from Florida, and it's not the real south. We don't think of ourselves as the real south, and the rest of the south doesn't think of us as the real south. Florida's just Florida... it's fucked up.

I still prefer blues to jazz... which is also from the south... but a direct result of slavery and oppression. So it's a wash.

Guest blame that goot.

I've always considered most of northern Florida to be part of the South, with the tip being part of a pan-Caribbean region. It is one weird state, though.

Bull fucking shit florida isn't the south.

Just because they have cute little cities like Miami and Orlando there, there are just as many bumpkin ass cities like Moorhaven and and the counties around Orlando and Miami where it is pure redneck.

Shit, Atlanta isn't bumkinville, but I will be damned if gerogia isn't the south.

Guest blame that goot.

Ripper's exasperation in this thread needs to be bottled and sold. I feel like he's going to hit Annie with an atlas as if it were a folding chair.

Ripper, I'm from the place. It isn't the same. It's geographically the south, but it's not Miami or Orlando I'm talking about, it's small town Florida, like where I lived. It's meth addled and full of sick weirdness, death metal and wrestling, but it's just not the south. Florida has it's own feel.

I lived in Kentucky briefly too. That's the south. Sure, Lexington is a nice metropolitan area... but you missed the argument there, Rip.

Also, redneck isn't a southern thing at all. They have rednecks from Biloxi to Butte to Juneau, Alaska. Redneck is a redneck thing.

Biggest redneck I've ever met (and I've met a lot) was from Maine.

Guest Vitamin X
We also have awesome beaches. Yeah bitches, miami counts.

No fuckin' way it does. You speak primarily English in the South, for one.

And our strip clubs are 100% nude. Fuck you guys and your topless bars.

I have never lived or been to a city that didn't have 100% nude strip clubs. Topless bars are all over though; in California, you have to be 21 or over to go to a titty bar because it has alcohol, but only 18 and over to go to the nude bars. Doesn't seem to make much sense from a horny freshly turned 18 year old's perspective.

And for the bigoted deep south, Atlanta is the San Fran of the East coast. The gay and lesbian community is HUGE down here.

No, I think Manhattan would be the San Fran of the East Coast. And if you're including Miami (which again, really shouldn't be in the equation at ALL) that's probably the second or third gayest city in the country up there with the other two.

And they look the other way when you lynch someone

That's because of a lack of whiny kids with folded billcaps and glasses asking why they were lynched.

Biggest redneck I've ever met (and I've met a lot) was from Maine.

there's a lot of rednecks in NH also.

Florida is beyond south, to where it's tropical. more a Latino/island vibe. so it's too far south to be south.

Sure, Lexington is a nice metropolitan area...

I'm getting ready to move back...I can't wait! My wife commutes there every day too, so she can't wait, either.

Where did you live in Kentucky, Milky?

On another note, Ripper wins the "gayest city: Atlanta vs. New York" debate:

2003432852.gif

Guest Vitamin X

Noooooo way. That's by percentage, though. I'm sure the sheer amount of gays in New York or Miami has to be way more than, say, Denver or Long Beach. Not sure about Atlanta (I'm going there for my buddy's wedding for the first time in September) but I'm surprised about Minneapolis.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, and furthermore, it depends on which study you look at. Here's an article from a D.C. area newspaper which claims..

# Among states, Vermont has the highest concentration of same-sex couple households (9.71 per 1,000 households); followed by New Mexico (9.03), Massachusetts (8.99), Washington (8.94) and Oregon (8.83).

# Among cities, San Francisco continues to reign as the gayest U.S. city, based on its concentration of same-sex households (28.72 per 1,000). Seattle comes second (21.27), followed by Minneapolis (18.68), Portland, Ore., (16.94), and Sacramento, Calif., (16.36).

The Left Coast: Gayer than you.

Okay, so what is the qualifier for south then Milky?

What. An accent? Because I will be damned if you are going to try and pretend that Avon Park, Moorhaven or Lakeland aren't southern as all hell. And have sadly had to spend large amounts of time in all three.

And seriously, lake placid isn't southern now?

Ripper's exasperation in this thread needs to be bottled and sold. I feel like he's going to hit Annie with an atlas as if it were a folding chair.

Dude...it wouldn't wet the bottom of the bottle. If i was annoyed I wouldn't post in the thread.

Somerset... the closest major city would be, I guess... Bowling Green. But it's hell... pure hell on earth.

My best friend lives in Somerset. Dear God, what did you do for fun there? That place is terrible.

Oh, and furthermore, it depends on which study you look at. Here's an article from a D.C. area newspaper which claims..

# Among states, Vermont has the highest concentration of same-sex couple households (9.71 per 1,000 households); followed by New Mexico (9.03), Massachusetts (8.99), Washington (8.94) and Oregon (8.83).

# Among cities, San Francisco continues to reign as the gayest U.S. city, based on its concentration of same-sex households (28.72 per 1,000). Seattle comes second (21.27), followed by Minneapolis (18.68), Portland, Ore., (16.94), and Sacramento, Calif., (16.36).

The Left Coast: Gayer than you.

Thats same sex couple households. Not total percentage of people considering themselves gay.

Somerset... the closest major city would be, I guess... Bowling Green. But it's hell... pure hell on earth.

My best friend lives in Somerset. Dear God, what did you do for fun there? That place is terrible.

Drugs.

And sex.

And more drugs.

Guest Vitamin X
Okay, so what is the qualifier for south then Milky?

What. An accent? Because I will be damned if you are going to try and pretend that Avon Park, Moorhaven or Lakeland aren't southern as all hell. And have sadly had to spend large amounts of time in all three.

And seriously, lake placid isn't southern now?

Dude...it wouldn't wet the bottom of the bottle. If i was annoyed I wouldn't post in the thread.

I draw the line for the south around just south of Lake Okeechobee. So West Palm Beach on south on the east side, and Fort Meyers on south on the west side. It's not just a cultural differentiation, and the cultural difference isn't just latin, either- West Palm and many parts of Broward and Dade County are full of native New Yawkers, Jewish and otherwise, which gives it a very different feel from say, Ocala or Lakeland. The weather is also incredibly different. The humidity is unbearable north of Okeechobee. Once you go south of that, it goes to suffocating.

Eh. I guess its all personal opinion. But Kentucky doesn't feel shit like Alabama to me but they are both unmistakenly southern.

Same for plenty of parts of Flordia.

Vita, I gotta draw the line somewhere around LaBelle. I don't think you can argue the stuff above that being southern as hell. I can make a argument for some places below there, but I would probably lose. LaBelle and up...country as all hell.

This might have to do with me being from Florida...

Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, the Carolinas... they all feel different, but they do feel southern.

Florida... feels like Florida.