TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball: 5/12-5/18

Question for Czech and the Cubs fans:

Now I didn't skim last weeks thread so it might've been covered in that one or the week before but what's the current situation with the Cubs ownership? Last I heard was that there was a move to sell the team off but I haven't really heard to who.. just that everyone in the area (business wise) wants to make sure that Cuban doesn't get the team.

Any knowledge you can drop?

Now I didn't skim last weeks thread so it might've been covered in that one or the week before but what's the current situation with the Cubs ownership? Last I heard was that there was a move to sell the team off but I haven't really heard to who.. just that everyone in the area (business wise) wants to make sure that Cuban doesn't get the team.

Check out this blog.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?opt...72&Itemid=1

Guest Desensitized

Funny you should ask!

The Tribune just announced it won't sell Wrigley to the state of Illinois, and the team and park will be sold together after all.Sam Zell bought the Tribune Company but plans to divest the team to help pay off the $8 billion debt. The real opposition to Cuban comes from Bud Selig and horseshit owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who want to hand-pick the next Cubs owner, namely John Canning, a business partner and friend of theirs, because they want someone who will go along with everything they want to do and will also keep payroll down, things that Cuban will not do. Today's news that Zell won't sell Wrigley Field to the state (which owns Comiskey Park) certainly hurts the Canning group's chances, because the team and real estate will likely push the price up to an even billion. Another prospective owner is local businessman and AHL Wolves owner Don Levin, but it really seems like it's down to Canning and Cuban now. I'm just so relieved that the collusion aspect of the sale has been somewhat minimized today.

The impression that I get is that a deal is closer than we think, and that this whole "buy the team then pay rent to the state" charade was not tolerated; it had to be all or nothing.

Seems silly to reduce your alleged power hitters to parlor tricks in order to get on base.

I despise Jason Marquis, by the way. It's insane this guy's rotation spot isn't in jeopardy. Meanwhile, Rich Hill is exiled to AAA for far less offenses.

Cincy wins, but what a cost. Jeff Keppinger is out after fouling a ball off his knee, breaking his patella. He has a MRI tomorrow, and could miss the rest of the year if surgery is needed. Best case his knee will be immobilized for 4-6 weeks before rehab can start.

It's appropriate since the Rays are the only team in the division that's showing anything close to consistency so far.

Seems silly to reduce your alleged power hitters to parlor tricks in order to get on base.

Carlos Delgado hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire lately.

Guest Desensitized
Cincy wins, but what a cost. Jeff Keppinger is out after fouling a ball off his knee, breaking his patella. He has a MRI tomorrow, and could miss the rest of the year if surgery is needed. Best case his knee will be immobilized for 4-6 weeks before rehab can start.

Neifi's gonna save you, dude.

I friggin' LOVE Manny Ramirez. Dude just made a great catch running towards the wall, jumped up off the wall and high-fived a Sox fan in the crowd, then threw the ball back into the infield which was relayed by Pedroia to double off the guy running back to 1st.

Awesome.

Expected starters for the Sunday interleague game between the Indians and Reds:

Cliff Lee (6-0, 0.67 ERA, 44 K, 4 BB, 0.67 WHIP) vs. Edinson Volquez (6-1, 1.12 ERA, 57 K)

Should be a good pitcher's duel, but you never know in GAB. My friend is going and asked if we wanted to go, but looks like we won't be able to make it.

I friggin' LOVE Manny Ramirez. Dude just made a great catch running towards the wall, jumped up off the wall and high-fived a Sox fan in the crowd, then threw the ball back into the infield which was relayed by Pedroia to double off the guy running back to 1st.

Awesome.

I'm normally not a fan of Manny's, but that was pretty freaking cool.

Awesome.

I echo this. I just saw the clip on MLB.com before I was getting ready to renew my mlb tv subscription since I can now watch the games since its the summer time and school is over with. On another note, Bronson Arroyo is doing pretty well tonight on only 3 days of rest.

Nights like this make me wish I still got MLB Extra Innings. I have zero interest in the Tigers and Royals and the ESPN game isn't exactly a competitive outing.

Through the sixth inning Cincinnati is putting on one of their better all-around outings of the year against the Marlins. Currently up 3-0 the defense has been fantastic and after struggling to get the runners around in the early innings, the Reds are finally capitalizing on some runners on base. Maybe Keppinger going out of the lineup is what this ball club needed to get in gear.

Guest Vitamin X

Interesting map I saw on Deadspin a couple days ago that I forgot to post...

newmapbb.jpg

.. I hate being in Mariners country.

Well the Reds escaped tonight 7-6 in the 10th after getting a hit from Paul Janish in his first big league at-bat. However, that bullpen's job tonight isn't going to inspire any confidence in the club house or in the fan base. I guess its just typical Reds baseball of scoring a lot of runs and hoping the other team just doesn't match that number.

Actually it was his second at-bat in his first game. I'm glad to have the win, but the bullpen collapse in the 9th looked way too much like the last two years. Th Reds have won 6 out of 9, but you simply cannot give up 6 runs in the 9th to tie the game. Arroyo has looked good in two straight starts, so hopefully he can get in a groove.

Thanks for the correction Dandy, I misheard what was said by the commentary team on FSN Ohio (which I enjoy listening to). I agree that I was having flashbacks of the last few years with the bullpen collapse in the 9th. I think pitching Arroyo on fewer days rest might be better since he tends to like to pitch that way and keep his mechanics in shape but you don't want to wear down a pitcher this early in the season. I'll take the win but a dominant one would've been sweeter.

Jay Bruce is hitting .366 with 9 doubles, 5 triples, 8 home runs, 33 RBI's, with a on base perc. of .398, slugging .662 and OPSing 1.060 in AAA

oh, and he has 7 stolen bases too

Walt Jocketty said in a meeting with writers today that there is no place for Bruce due to the number of strong hitting left handed outfielders on the reds. I will personally drive Griffey's old ass to Seattle if that's what it takes. I swear to god if Bruce sits in AAA all year while I have to see Dunn hit .203 and Griffey hit .250 I will go down the stadium and start snipering people.

Adam Dunn can be traded after June 15th. I personally do not want to see Griffey leave, but business is business. Expect Dunn to be gone before the deadline, though.