TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

2008 Stanley Cup Finals

Wow, lots of discussion on tonight's game.

If Detroit holds on to win, Jiri Hudler's first and only goal of the Finals will end up being the most important in the series.

I love/hate close games. Love it when my team wins, hate it when my teams loses...haha. I'm so happy the Red Wings won, and Zetterberg played an awesome Offense/Defense game :)

The Red Wings broke the Pens undefeated streak at home. I honestly thought that the youthful Pens would out skate the Red Wings. Detroit is the better team in the series but the Penguins will be back to the finals soon.

Darren McCarty = soon to be 4 time Stanley Cup champion.

Does McCarty have enough games to have his name etched into the cup?

Anyways, I thought Detroit was better than in game three, but not as dominate as in the first two games. What killed Pittsburgh is they never attempted to shoot the puck more. Instead they were throwing it around and hopefully a man becomes open. They were trying to hard to make highlight reel plays instead of playing it simple.

Roberts needs to be playing on the top line to be effective and Malkin needs to learn there are four other players he can pass to.

Well...that sucked.

(not much action in this thread tonight I see)

EDIT: Detroit gets their goal anyways as Datsyuk finally gets on the board.

EDIT 2: Damn...

Maxime Talbot, you'll never score a goal more important goal than this (so far)

Oh if it does finish tonight, Franzen, Datsyuk or Zetterberg for Conn Smythe.

Nightwing may break something, I just get real sad and quiet....Soooo friken close but yet so far. If Detroit comes out playing like they did in the 3rd...then it should be over fast. It's like a totally different Detroit team in the 3rd compared to the first 2 periods, it's crazy.

I'm still nervous. You never know what to expect, anything can happen in OT

Yes usually there are some plays that would have been called during the regular season, but how can you call such an iffy play and the season is decided on that? I know its not a perfect system, but I rather have the refs put away the whistle until there is a definite penalty. (Like a high stick or an elbow). They aren't going to call interference, tripping, hooking or holding unless its fairly obvious.

My buddy and I were just discussing the shot of the bar in Harbour Grace. Would Cleary be the first Newfoundlander to win a Cup? We both think he'd be the second, but neither of us can recall whom.

So the Cleary call is not goaltender interference, and the Sykora hook is a penalty. You just can't do that infront of the referee.

I can see Crosby and or Fleury getting the Conn Smythe award.

Crosby because the NHL are pretty dumb, and this would be a consolation prize for him, and Fleury has been playing stellar this post season (so has Osgood)

If the Penguins score I have a feeling Jarkko Ruutu's involved. He seems to be very involved since the OT started even though he's only logged about 10 minutes of the first 100 played. He also tends to score in good spots. On the Red Wings side I look out for Helm again.