TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 87 - Seek and Destroy

I heard from some local people he doesn't even want to fight in the UFC anymore. Not sure how reliable it is, but you never know.

Not a good mindset to get in to the cage with a deranged psycho killer like the Barn Cat.

PREDICTIONS:

GSP via 3rd round TKO. Georges wrestling won't be as successful as usual so eventually it will turn into a stand up battle and Fitch isn't equipped.

Huerta via 2nd round submission. Everything logical thought I have says to go with Florian but what kind of mancrusher would I be if I abandoned Roger at the first sign of trouble? I think Florian is probably going to win but whatever.

Lesnar via first round TKO. I might end up looking dumbest for this one tomorrow but this is the first win for the future UFC heavyweight champ. Immediate takedown followed by about 45-60 seconds of a beating and then it's fucking over. Steve Mazzagatti is going to jump in and then it's over. Joe Rogan: WOW! Ladies and gentlemen, Brock Lesnar! (picture that seemingly harmless sentence in Joe Rogan's voice and you'll know exactly what I mean).

Maia over Athlete by second round submission. I'm really tempted to go with Macdonald because he's saying all the right things. This is an MMA fight, not a grappling match, etc... but Maia gets bonus points in my book from the way he demolished Ed Herman and this will be a good test to see how good at MMA he really is.

Manvel via 1st round KO, Kongo via UD, Barn Cat by KO whenever he pleases.

Gusmao, Chris Wilson, Ryan Thomas also winners. I may have missed a fight or two or three... going off the top of my head.

I think Maia is just a really bad style matchup for a guy like MacDonald. WHile he's the more experience MMA vet in that matchup, I foresee this one going somewhat like Jacare vs. Mayhem, and I Don't think MacDonald is as good a striker as Mayhem to give Maia as many problems.

I think Herring being the underdog is weird also, even though I think he'll lose, because Brock is very green. I don't think Heath will deal well with Brock's aggression on the ground though, the bigger more credentialed wrestlers he fought were LnP guys, and from what little I've seen from Brock he doesn't seem to be in the same mold. Heath was getting taken down by Chieck Kongo of all people, after all. It's too bad Brock is getting two solid vets from the start, as he has a ton of potential and it would have been nice to see him fed some cans to build some confidence as well as give him time to polish his skills. He asked for tough guys though, so respect.

PREDICTIONS~!

Saunders by TKO in the second

Wilson by UD

Gusmao by TKO in the first

McCrory by TKO in the second

Kongo by KO in the first

Maia by submission in the second

Manny by Submission in the second

Ken Flo by UD

Lesnar by TKO in the second

GSP by TKO in the third

I'm pretty much pulling for all those guys except for Ken-Flo.

MacDonald has size and strength on Maia, and is good enough on the ground to neutralize some of Maias admittedly dope JJ. Standing, though he's not great, he's better than Maia and that's where he can score points to win rounds. Maia hasn't gone deep before so his conditioning is questionable for the later rounds, which is where MacDonald can also score points and possibly win.

This card is too good not to be filled with decisions.

I think J-Mac's the one that will get tired first, especially when he is struggling and bucking Maia off of him while defending GnP. I think this is a showcase fight for Maia. J-Mac was taken down and destroyed by Kalib Starnes not too long ago, and while he has improved since then considerably, I think it's only enough to let him last a round. WHile you say he will win the fight later on, he hasn't really shown great conditioning in the past.

I hope you're right. I want to see Maia continue to grapplefuck guys and turn from prospect to contender. I still think MacDonald has proven more re: conditioning than Maia, considering how many times Maia has made it past the first round (twice) and into a third (none).

Mik- Huerta by submission?

Really?

Yes, I picked the craziest thing possible to justify me going against my gut.

Any posted results of prelim in this thread before they could possibly air will make me very, very angry. Especially when one of my favorite fighters is on the undercard.

God damn fantastic fight.

I know the Athlete is a gatekeeper and all but Maia might be for real now. I'd imagine his next fight is going to be against a top-shelf opponent.

As much as I love Rog, I can't justify or fathom how the words "cakewalk" could even escape his lips when talking about Kenny Florian.

Mike and Joe called Roger an emotional fighter in the middle of the round there.

WHAT WOULD NATHAN DIAZ SAY?!

Kenny has the two takedowns but Roger is obviously controlling the pace of the fight..."Octagon control" if you will.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the judges give either round to either guy.