TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 87 - Seek and Destroy

Who's Huerta ever KO'd? Halverston, Evans and Crane were all TKO victories set up by ground and pound.

He rocked Guida to set up the rear naked choke... Most of those fights ended up being ground and pound, but they were set up by Huerta knocking down the fighter, standing up.

I wouldn't say being able to throw a well-timed knee means a fighter has KO power. And he didn't drop Crane or Evans, he either got taken down and reversed it or scored the takedown himself.

I'm not trying to say Huerta has a chance to KO Florian, this is the same Kenny Florian who took shots from a KO power puncher at 185 in Chris Leben. But Huerta those have power in his shots when he commits to them, instead of throwing volume strikes like he usually does.

That's the clip from All Access for the Mir fight but the point stands... I'd die after that workout and I'm in relatively good shape.

The clip is misleading, that clip..while I thought was something new, is the old clip. Right when he started to complain about the bear crawls and the medicine ball sprawl I knew it was the clip that showed for his training against Mir.

Yahoo did the same thing w/ Penn/Sherk. They showed a clip of BJ eating healthy and talking about his training regimen from the Stevenson fight. It's definitely the same exact clip because I highly doubt BJ says "That's the stuff" everytime he eats yogurt.

Yahoo is guilty of recycling clips because that is 100% from the Mir fight.

Does anyone else think Herring will sub Lesnar?

It's possible, but I don't think it's likely... It's not like Herring has submited people in knee bars or has top notch BJJ like Frank Mir. Most of Herring's submission wins came from a wrestlers keylock, which he is not going to be able to do on Lesnar or rear naked chokes, which is kinda impossible to do on Lesnar because he basically has no fucking neck.

Lesnar was able to rip out of an armbar attempt from Mir quite easily, so I can't see Herring being able to pull it off.

I don't know, Heath has his moments. I didn't think he had a chance against Tom Erikson or Mark Kerr and look what happened. Lesnar, truthfully, looked kind of shitty against Mir as I thought his early success was more because of Mir being careless than Brock doing anything outstanding. I don't know, maybe I'm just being a hater because I don't buy into the Brock hype, or maybe it's because I've always kind of liked Heath.

There's not a professional MMA fighter alive who's stopping Brock's shot. I'd call that aspect of the Mir fight and his game in general outstanding.

I'd like to show if Brock's worked on his submission defense at all. That was his glaring weakness that Mir exposed. Depending on how strong his chin is, he doesn't seem to have any other weaknesses. His standup was frantic and not that great technically, but his sheer power gave him a Bob Sapp-like one hit knockdown potential. If he can TAKE punches, then not many are going to want to stand with him. It's demoralizing to be winning a stand up fight, and then one punch just floors you on your ass.

The thing is, I could see Brock not training in submission defense much for this fight...It would have been completely non-existant for Coleman, but the odds aren't much higher for Herring. Herring CAN submit people...He just doesn't like to. Herring would have to be I think on the verge of death before he tried a bottom knee bar or arm bar.

Brock has all the potential in the world, because he's got legitimate skills, and he's got freakish strength that gave Bob Sapp advantages when he was actually *training*. I don't think there's a fighter who can beat Brock's power, and if he REALLY wanted to, he could probably hold down just about anyone for a UD...it just depends on how he's been training, and where he comes in mentally.

You know, I don't post much over in this section of the boards (mainly due to my lack of real knowledge of MMA) .. but I'm a Brock fan and I want to see him win.. but I think he's gotta win decisvely. No split.. no 30-27 UD. I think he's gotta go out and either end it in the first / second round or he's going to have to make the UD come out to 30-26 / 30-25 to make it look like he really belongs.

He's got the size and power to be a force in the division and as a guy who watched his run in WWE and was awed by what he did there, I want to be able to root for him and not have a discussion of wanting to see the fight and someone throw back: "Oh, so we're going to go see Brock tap like a bitch again?"

Like I said earlier in this thread. If Brock Lesnar stops Heath Herring I will be goddamn surprised.

Brock winning a decision is in the realm of possibility, but Heath Herring has only been stopped by strikes once that I know of to at that time the greatest stand up fighter in MMA. If you consider a cut being "stopped", then twice. This is a tough man.

I think Brock would have marched right through Coleman in less then three minutes. Coleman's old, and all his strengths Brock does better. But Herring's a different beast. I'd say Herring's a tougher test then Mir was, due to the fact that he can take a punch, or take a serious assbeating, has decent submission defense, decent scrambling abilities, and still comes at you. Brock COULD have finished Mir, but I really don't think he'll get that chance with Herring.

I think it's more likely that Brock just beats the piss out of Herring all three rounds, but never can finish him. Herring wins the few stand up battles they have, but Brock comes out no worse for wear. Brock wins a dominant UD for all three rounds.

How is Brocks cardio not an issue? The dude has fought a total of, like, 3 minutes.

I was thinking the same thing.

I think people rate it highly because he would wrestle in 20-30 minute matches, but the difference there is that both opponents control the flow and pace of the match. An MMA fight is an entirely different thing, as I can tell you from experience, and so can others on this board, that fighting will take the wind out of you quicker than any other sport on the planet. Adrenaline, damage from strikes, prolonged periods of offense and/or defense; all take an immense toll on all but the most in-shape fighters.

Look at somebody like Ernesto Hoost, who had probably the greatest cardio in K-1 history and he will still be sucking wind at the end of each round. Anyway, back on the subject at hand, I believe Brock's cardio is a serious issue here. Heath has never been known to have GREAT cardio, but he's tough and is usually there for the entire fight. It wouldn't totally surprise me to see Heath knock him silly on the feet, a la the Kongo fight. Heath has been in with great wrestlers before; Tom Erikson and Mark Kerr immediately spring to mind, and was able to outlast his opponents in both fights. If cardio is an issue with Brock, I can see Heath toughing it out and weathering the storm on the way to a TKO stoppage or a choke out. We also don't know how good Brock's ground control is. Sure he's strong, but Heath is pretty tricky on his back, even against a guy like Nogueira who is a wizard on the ground. Brock might get Heath to the ground quickly, but I wouldn't think it totally surprising if Heath escaped or reversed to a better or dominant position.

Comparing the muscle mass of guys Bas was referencing (Bob Sapp in particular) with the kind that Brock Lesnar has is a bit of a stretch. Brock is naturally huge, and while it's possible he's cycling off steroids, he's nowhere near the kind of body he had in WWE, and he's still a wall of muscle. Bob Sapp was and still is, juiced to the fucking GILLS. When you've got that kind of body, of course you'll gas out. You're not supposed to be THAT big and try to fight.

I find it hard to believe that Brock will gas. I said this before the Mir fight, but we didn't get to see then. The man has been in high stress and body intensive activities his entire life. He's not a Mark Coleman or Mark Kerr who got gassed up and lost their cardio as a result. And even if you discredit his Amateur history towards his cardio, the intensity of his training lends credibility to his not gassing. The man trains like that EVERY day. He's a natural athlete in the vein of a BJ Penn or GSP as well. He's not some dude that just trained really, really hard. He's gifted in the body department.

If Brock Lesnar loses, I guarantee it'll be a mental mistake again or a lack of training. On paper, in every department, Brock Lesnar SHOULD be better then Heath Herring. His striking power should be greater, his wrestling better, his speed is sure of a lot higher, in theory, he should have all the advantages you could possibly have without having the same time to train. It's going to come down to Brock Lesnar's mental side, and his training. His body won't fail him, I'm 100% sure of that.

Brock does the same exact cardio workout as "legendary workout habits and cardio machine" Sean Sherk.

I'm not going to say gassing is out of the question but I don't expect it.

So my usual nervousness about GSP losing is kicking in. This time I'm concerned about Fitch bullying him around and beating him up. GSP might be better then Fitch at pretty much everything but I think Fitch can take more punishment so I'm wondering how that will affect GSP mentally if the fight goes to the third or fourth rounds and he's tossed everything he could at Fitch but he keeps coming. I'm also wondering if Fitch will be the one to take GSP down and how Rush will react if it happens as I think that he has been on his back for less then 3 minutes combined in his UFC career.

There's also the fact that if he shits the bed in this fight he'll be forever tagged with the label of "Good enough to beat a champ, not good enough to be a champ."

Fitch with the first round knockout.

Seriously what is your beef with GSP? Every topic relating to GSP you always have something negative to say about him... Are you just a Canadian hater?