TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 87 - Seek and Destroy

I'm really looking forward to this show, which is actually somewhat rare for me when it comes to UFC. The reason is probably because they have three really intriguing fights on this show that MATTER. GSP/Fitch is for the title, Huerta/Florian gets a title shot (and I'd say both are overdue for title shots anyway), and Brock/Herring is a major fight for both men. Herring's shown the ability that he could *maybe* start rebuilding his career and become a contender again, while Brock *NEEDS* this win given his contract and the hype around him. Credibility with insider fans, going down to Herring won't hurt him...but to casuals who UFC courts? Brock would have to be rebuilt at that point.

UFC should hire Dan Casterlana to do the ring intro's for McCrory and Cummo and instead of the usual stats just have him yell out "NEEEEERRRRRRRRD" and then ask the crowd "Hey buddy, did you get a load of the nerd?".

I've heard rumours (yeah, I know, unsubstantiated, websites, blah blah blah... but this seems legit) that the winner of Barncat/Piss drinker will get an autographed poster of Battlestar Gallactica. I think a chick signed it too.

Jesus fucking Christ that countdown show was awesome. Huerta's segment had me tearing up. Needs to be seen to be believed. That dude is far and away the most marketable star in MMA and has the potential to be one of the biggest stars in the history of the sport.

Fuck. I completely forgot about the countdown show.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's not on Spike TV until tomorrow. Damn you Canadians jumping the gun.

I just watched a stream of the countdown show. That was fucking amazing. It's amazing how these countdowns have done a 180 in terms of less "OMG BIG FIGHT BESTFIGHTERSOMGWHOO" and more on the stories of the fighters. GSP/Fitch didn't really do much for me, but some of the candid shots of Fitch were excellent. Florian and Huerta are buys though. That part was magnificent.

Even the two minutes on Brock/Herring got me more excited for it. What with Herring comparing them to King Kong and Godzilla while using his hands and sound effects to simulate them colliding.

I can't wait to see it tomorrow. I say tomorrow because 11pm is past my bedtime these days... pathetic I know.

I just watched a stream of the countdown show. That was fucking amazing. It's amazing how these countdowns have done a 180 in terms of less "OMG BIG FIGHT BESTFIGHTERSOMGWHOO" and more on the stories of the fighters. GSP/Fitch didn't really do much for me, but some of the candid shots of Fitch were excellent. Florian and Huerta are buys though. That part was magnificent.

Even the two minutes on Brock/Herring got me more excited for it. What with Herring comparing them to King Kong and Godzilla while using his hands and sound effects to simulate them colliding.

That part was great. Someone needs to make a .gif of Herring smashing his hands together like a little kid.

The countdown show was all kinds of awesome. It did a great job of building up Fitch and Huerta, and gave you a reason to want to see them. I think this is a 450,000 buy show. Speaking of which...

GSP beats Fitch in round four by TKO. I think the countdown did a great job of making Fitch look like a real threat, and I think he'll be a serious challenge to GSP, but I'm still going with the champion.

Huerta beats Florian by UD. I think Florian has the heart to stand the beating he's going to get, but I don't see him doing much more than that and I think he'll survive all three rounds.

Either Lesnar beats Herring by pounding him into a pulp or Herring knocks Lesnar into next week and out of the UFC. I don't see this fight ending any other way, except maybe Herring taking a horrible beating for three rounds and the fight somehow not getting stopped.

The countdown show was all kinds of awesome. It did a great job of building up Fitch and Huerta, and gave you a reason to want to see them. I think this is a 450,000 buy show. Speaking of which...

GSP beats Fitch in round four by TKO. I think the countdown did a great job of making Fitch look like a real threat, and I think he'll be a serious challenge to GSP, but I'm still going with the champion.

Huerta beats Florian by UD. I think Florian has the heart to stand the beating he's going to get, but I don't see him doing much more than that and I think he'll survive all three rounds.

Either Lesnar beats Herring by pounding him into a pulp or Herring knocks Lesnar into next week and out of the UFC. I don't see this fight ending any other way, except maybe Herring taking a horrible beating for three rounds and the fight somehow not getting stopped.

Did you not see Huerta getting throughly out-wrestled, grappled and rocked by Guida for 95% of their fight? Florian will do all of that plus not run head-first into a knee.

People underestimate Florian, and I'm not sure why. He's only lost once since TUF, to Sean Sherk who pretty much just hugged him. Besides that, he's won SEVEN fights in UFC, all by finishing. He hasn't went to a decision aside from the Sherk fight.

People may just remember the Diego fight still, but there was a huge weight difference there that Florian had to deal with, not to mention he'd only had three "pro" fights before then.

I'll give my predictions for the top three fights:

I keep going back and forth between GSP and Fitch...but I think I'll settle on Fitch. GSP should win this fight, but I think that might be what comes back to haunt him. That and the fact that he KNOWS if he gets past Fitch, he has that super fight with Penn slated. I think it might mess with his head a little and the most dangerous thing is a challenger who has absolutely nothing to lose. Fitch has no starpower to lose, no status, he's just a guy that no one still really knows who's going to come in there swinging. If GSP's mentally and physically not at 100%, Fitch will beat him.

Florian over Huerta. I think Huerta has a shot, but at the same time, Florian's record doesn't lie. Florian's a dangerous guy, who can win by any method. He can KO you, he can submit you, and if he has to, his elbows are *perfect* for a massive cut. I think standing, their about even. Florian's probably the better striker, but Huerta probably has more power and their speed could be a wash. On the ground, I'd give Florian a huge advantage. If he can get position on you, you most likely won't get free. I will predict a decision, so I'll give Huerta that, that he'll survive and take Florian to Florian's first decision victory.

Herring over Brock. I think the odds are way too stacked against Brock. Herring has beaten top wrestlers before (Kerr and Erickson come to mind) and he's an incredibly tough opponent. Brock will get the fight down to the ground, but from there I don't know. I don't think Brock will be able to finish Herring, and I don't think Brock has the submission skills to submit Herring. Herring won't go for a submission unless he feels he HAS to, so if Herring starts going for legbars and armbars, it's a testament to how good Brock is. I think the most likely scenarios are a decision for Brock, or a KO for Herring. Herring will not be able to stop Brock's takedown, but standing is where Herring will do damage. Brock can't just keep shooting all the time, at some point if the fight gets stood up he'll HAVE to strike with Herring, and that's where it's dangerous. If Brock really wants to just win, he should take Herring down and hold him down...but he's not getting that huge contract to just win, and I think Brock knows this. He's going to come out 100 MPH at Herring, win or lose. If he loses and is done with UFC, then he can get a big deal from a Japanese company (...If one still exists) based on what he's done.

And honest question. Why the hell is Rob Emerson on the main card when Cheick Kongo is on the undercard? Weren't they grooming Kongo not too long ago?

I get what Hawk is saying about Fitch winning.....and I don't. I do because GSP, like usual is saying all the right things. He's saying that he's the best yet, he's saying that he's 100% focused on Fitch and not looking towards BJ and he's saying that he'll succeed where he failed last time.

The problem is, GSP has said those things in the past and they don't exactly turn out that way. Having said that if you're basing your Fitch pick solely on GSP's mental state....well....you've got moxie kid.

Even so, it's still odd match making. I guess they figure Manny will smash Emerson, but still he's 7-6. Not UFC main card material.

and I pick fights as logically as I can. In every department GSP should win, but then again, he should have smashed Serra the first time like he did the second. I'm not one of those guys that says there's a "pattern" to GSP or he has a "history" of it...but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Fitch just comes in looking for murder, and GSP is caught off guard. I fully acknowledge that I could be wrong, but at the same time...I could be right. Realistically, there aren't many fighters that should be able to even hang with GSP. He's just so naturally gifted in every department. Hell, if Fitch makes it to a decision then it's almost a victory in and of itself.

Here's the thing with Fitch that's a huge hurdle to overcome: he's looked mortal in a lot of his UFC fights. Not all but most. The only "dominating" victory he had was against Burkman.I had Alves, Hironaka, Sanchez, Carneiro and Wilson all winning at least one round against him and he put himself in submission danger against the bottom four out of the five of those mentioned. He's also a really slow starter so either he's forced to speed things up to match GSP's riddum or he sits back and takes an ass-beating. Was the fact that Fitch able to win against all of those fighters a plus for him? Fuck yes it is. But does it bode well for him against a fighter the level of GSP? Fuck no it does not.

Watching the shows coming up for this card on HDNet and TFN I'm damn happy with this main card. GSP/Fitch and Huerta/Florian are big time fights. Lesnar draws and Herring can bring a good show so the Big 3 are delivering as far as I see it. I dig MacDonald/Maia to see Demien test himself and Manny/O.C isn't terrible either. Fun stuff, methinks.

GSP vs Fitch- A complete mismatch.

GSP RD 2 submission 2:45

Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring - This one is difficult. Both Lesnar and Herring were a hair's breadth away from beating the 2 men who will compete for the Heavyweight title. Herring is both tough and experienced and still has KO power with his strikes, despite this fact I am going with Brock. Lesnar will get the take down and replicate his performance against Mir only this time there won't ( I hope) be incompotent interference from the referee to rob him of victory.

Lesnar RD 1 KO -shoot, forerarm strikes 3:34

Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta- If I didn't see the Countdown special it would be Florian hands down. Of course, did see the special and I want Huerta to complete the storybook aspect of his life. Huerta is intense and strong but he is also wild and lacking in defense. Florian is the consumate professional with pinpoint striking. It will be a great fight.

Florian Unanimous decision-

Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald

MacDonald RD 2 RNC 2:05

Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen

Kongo Unanimous decision