TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

GSP can take Penn down. GSP can hold Penn down.

It doesn't matter whether or not Penn is better, more skilled, more talented, than GSP. Rush has the trump card in his wrestling and GnP. It's like saying a country has a better army, navy, and air force than the country that has nuclear weapons.

And you base this off the fact that GSP was able to takedown a gassed, out of shaped BJ Penn?

Please.... You and LOTC be on some "Canadian Pride" bullshit. Even if GSP was able to take BJ Penn down, it wouldn't be a good situation for him.

So if, say, an American presented the same argument what would you say? Certainly not Canadian pride.

But it's clearly you guys are biased for GSP... Look at your signature for fuck sakes...

I'm a fan of both GSP and BJ Penn, you in the past have showen your dislike for BJ.

I've shown my dislike for his fans that treat him like he's God and the fact that he's come off as a serious asshole quite a few times. I'm a fan of BJ Penn's fights and think he's a tremendous talent. I also think that GSP is better and will win.

I've shown my dislike for his fans that treat him like he's God and the fact that he's come off as a serious asshole quite a few times. I'm a fan of BJ Penn's fights and think he's a tremendous talent. I also think that GSP is better and will win.

I just can't see GSP beating a fully motivated BJ, but beyond the point this is going to be a great fight. This is the rematch I've wanted to see since the 1st fight.

Agreed. There are valid points that can be made on both sides as to whom will win. Obviously I want and think GSP takes it but I will not be shocked at all if Penn wins and I think most Penn fans will say the same.

Do you think we will see AFFLICTION and EliteXC fighters publicly calling out UFC fighters circa WCW vs WWF in the Monday night wars? If Fedor, Belfort and Lawler get some more coverage I can see some publicity stunts where fighters challenge UFC champions with twice their potential slary as a purse.

There is some talk of the next set of DREAM Grand Prix events including a featherweight grand prix. I know it will never happen but it would be completely awesome if Dana let Urijah compete.

Either way, at least there will be one quality American to root for in Benevides. Now that I saw him win in convincing fashion I'm definitely looking forward to his matchup with Kid Yamamoto that should have happened last weekend.

It doesn't matter whether or not Penn is better, more skilled, more talented, than GSP. Rush has the trump card in his wrestling and GnP. It's like saying a country has a better army, navy, and air force than the country that has nuclear weapons.

Penn has some of the best BJJ in MMA; wouldn't that somewhat neutralize GSP's ground and pound if he has to watch out for subs? I know it was quite a while ago, but Hughes subbed GSP, and B.J. is top-notch in that department. Chances are, he probably won't sub him, but still...

Would anyone have a link to the Dan Henderson vs Shogun fight?

Seeing as how that fight doesn't exist, no.

Strange, I heard about the fight here and how Henderson made an incredible 3rd RD charge.

Would anyone have a link to the Dan Henderson vs Shogun fight?

Seeing as how that fight doesn't exist, no.

Strange, I heard about the fight here and how Henderson made an incredible 3rd RD charge.

You heard about Hendo vs Ninja, Shogun's brother.

Penn has some of the best BJJ in MMA; wouldn't that somewhat neutralize GSP's ground and pound if he has to watch out for subs? I know it was quite a while ago, but Hughes subbed GSP, and B.J. is top-notch in that department. Chances are, he probably won't sub him, but still...

BJ is more of an offensive JJ guy, though. Not saying he doesn't have skills off his back, but I can't recall a single time he subbed someone from guard in MMA. A guard game is totally different and easier to counter if you know what to look for, and GSP should at this stage of his career. GSP is good enough to avoid what BJ throws at him, and strong enough to hold him down. Points, Points, Points. Hughes tapped George when Rush was on his back, so if you made the argument that BJ could take GSP down and tap him, then you would have something, but the likelihood of that is slim.

BJ is more of an offensive JJ guy, though. Not saying he doesn't have skills off his back, but I can't recall a single time he subbed someone from guard in MMA. A guard game is totally different and easier to counter if you know what to look for, and GSP should at this stage of his career. GSP is good enough to avoid what BJ throws at him, and strong enough to hold him down. Points, Points, Points. Hughes tapped George when Rush was on his back, so if you made the argument that BJ could take GSP down and tap him, then you would have something, but the likelihood of that is slim.

When was the last time BJ actually had to use his guard?

It's so difficult to actually takedown BJ, especially a motivated BJ that actually is training. You could honestly tell me with a straight face that the BJ who GSP was able to takedown, is the BJ of now? GSP might be able to takedown BJ, but it's going to be a lot more harder now that BJ is actually hungry and motivated to be the best in the world.

Unless I'm wrong (and I'm not) BJ vs GSP I was for a title shot at Hughes.

This blows your "unmotivated" theory straight to hell because if that doesn't motivate BJ I don't know what would. BJ came in underprepared and rested on his laurels after winning round one while doing dick fucking all in the second and third. Bottom line.

His point is noted, though.

BJ has said in multiple interviews that he didn't start training/giving a shit until the Pulver fight.

The fact is... GSP has the best "MMA wrestling" out there right now; he can seemingly take down whoever he wants at will. BJ's takedown defense is off the charts and if he actually goes through a real training camp working on it above what it is now, then it's going to be like the unstoppable force and the immovable object.

I can't see him shutting GSP out... I just can't. Doesn't matter how good his defense is on that date. Georges is taking him down IF he keeps going for the takedown and that's the focus of his gameplan. But, maybe he'll change his gameplan if BJ can stuff a takedown or two. I can't remember GSP ever outright just getting his shot stuffed... I don't know how he'll respond to that.

I don't really think anyone should be throwing around superlatives or definitive statements because if you really think about the fight... you could make an intelligent argument either way, which really means no one is wrong enough to slam the other viewpoint.

Unless I'm wrong (and I'm not) BJ vs GSP I was for a title shot at Hughes.

This blows your "unmotivated" theory straight to hell because if that doesn't motivate BJ I don't know what would. BJ came in underprepared and rested on his laurels after winning round one while doing dick fucking all in the second and third. Bottom line.

BJ has stated in the past he barely trained for those fight, was eating very unhealthy, partying and getting drunk all the time. That's not what I call a motivated BJ Penn. He figured he would just get past GSP and Matt Hughes in the 2nd fight just based off his skills alone... And he was proven wrong. A motivated BJ Penn is the BJ off the last 3 fights... I believe his trainers said it best in that the Jens Pulver fight woke up a sleeping beast in BJ.

I take nothing away from GSP's win over BJ, he beat BJ fair and square... He came hungry and wanted the title shot more then BJ did. But that is not the best BJ Penn we've seen... Infact it was the worst BJ Penn I've seen.

BJ Penn wants the GSP rematch more then any fight, he is problay more motivated for this fight more so then the Jens Pulver fight... Because GSP is one of the top 3 pound for pound fighters in the world, where as Jens wasn't.

But of course this is all just talk, because we have to see GSP get past Jon Fitch 1st, and that is not going to be an easy task IMO.

BTW, Happy Birthday LOTC...

He looked like a douchebag... Even if he does go to the UFC, what makes him thinks Zuffa is going to give him a title shot right away? I don't even think he can beat the majority of the contenders in the UFC Welterweight divison.

I think Shield's has the wrestling and grappling ability to take out Sanchez and Alves and him vs Fitch/GSP/Koscheck would all be interesting fights. I think if UFC ever signed him they would put him up against a top guy and if he performed well he'd get an immediate title shot.

I think Shield's has the wrestling and grappling ability to take out Sanchez and Alves and him vs Fitch/GSP/Koscheck would all be interesting fights. I think if UFC ever signed him they would put him up against a top guy and if he performed well he'd get an immediate title shot.

I think Thiago Alves improved takedown defense, strength, his underrated BJJ, and of course his great muay thai striking would help him take out Shields. The only way Shields will have an easy time take down Alves is off a kick, and even then I think at this stage in his career Alves BJJ will prevent him from taking any really damage... Plus there is a chance of Shields getting swept or Alves getting back to his feet, just based off the pure strength of Alves.

Sanchez would be an interesting fight... But anywhere the fight goes is not safe for Shields. On the ground he has a chance of beating submited or swept, and Sanchez improved striking would give Sheilds a lot of problems.

I can't see Shields beating either Koscheck/Fitch/GSP, because all of them are better strikers and wrestlers.

Karo/Shields would be a fucking awesome fight though.