TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

I think that goes for pretty much most places in the world. If you want to succeed, at least in the UFC, you have to train in the states (or at least how athletes in the US train). There is something to be said for American work ethic, ingenuity, and synergy. The way most camps stateside have made a science out of training is state of the art right now in fighting. You now have people outside the fighting disciplines getting involved (nutritionists, strength and conditioning coaches, psychologists). There's a reason why so many top fighters come out of so few teams. For one, once a team has a certain amount of high level athletes, they all push the others to get better. Add to that different coaches (strength and conditioning, BJJ, boxing, wrestling, etc) under one roof, being organized by a head trainer. The way fighters are training now is different from when they trained 5 years ago. If you are a fighter still training by those antiquated methods, you are not going to get as far as you should. It's not just about who trains hardest and longest. It's not just about who can get beat up the most in the gym. It's a lot more micro than that now.

I singled out Japan mostly for the fact that even as recently as a couple of years ago, it was considered one of the greatest hubs for homegrown MMA talent in the world. Now, in weight classes they used to utterly dominate, they've been shown to be undersized and outmatched physically then their American counterparts. While I do believe that your points about the quality of a camp's trainers and training partners do indeed bring out the best in fighters, I think the sheer physical disparity that Japanese fighters face is the single biggest detriment they face. It's not so rare to see fighters come out of relatively lackluster camps and succeed, to varying degrees. Far more rare is to see fighters who are smaller, weaker and/or less in shape than most others in their weight class succeed.

I have a higher opinion of guys who can groom talent from the ground up than someone who gets an inordinate amount of credit for refining the games of already well established fighters.

-Kenny notes that Yvel has no ground game at all, wonders why Josh couldn't finish

-Kenny says that Catch Wrestling is supposed to be a submission art, yet he didn't see good solid submission attempts from Josh

-Kenny specifically references an armbar Josh missed from mount, says the technique

wasn't good

-Kenny concludes with saying Josh needs to tighten up his submission game

Source: MMA Live Episode 38 - ESPN Video - ESPN

Barnett's response on some radio show:

Kenny Florian is a punk-ass bitch. He thinks he can put on a suit, shave his little spotty stubble off, and get in front of a camera, and it makes him some sort of expert on MMA. I think it just makes him an expert on taking it up the ass, as far as I can tell, talking smack about me.There’s one thing to be an analyst and another to act as if your an expert and another thing, yet again, to put some sort of personal spin on it. He has had some questionable comments on my technique and my last fight… and that’s fine anyone is aloud to say what they want. Less he ever he forget he’s been fighting since 2003, so essentially he’s a snot nose little babe still sucking on the tit of MMA. Anytime he thinks his ability on the mat can match his mouth and he would like to go and show me how to throw an armbar on somebody, then be my guest...I can fly out to "sit on a dong," grab him, and see what he's got to say now.

There are still a fair number of people out there who feel that Josh is simply a misread victim of MMA elitists who hate his catch-wrestling stylings and love pro-wrestling, and don't give him enough credit for his skills as a fighter.

The truth is that most people who've been following MMA for ant decent length of time has seen more than a few examples of Barnett being irritable, whiny asshole who personifies some of the worst stereotypes about MMA fighters while simultaneously pushing the annoyance envelope with his generally retarded statements in comparing pro-wrestling to MMA and his otaku shtick in general. As for his performances in the ring, his resume is pretty top-heavy, with wins over Couture & Minotauro flanked by not much else, including some pretty embarrassing performances against middling competition Kondo, Takahashi, Yvel).

I think Barnett just plays his pro-wrestling jerk shtick to the max, even in here in the States where he doesn't necessarily have to.

As for the differing standards of training between here and Japan, I always thought Kid was a prime example of a Japanese fighter who could succeed in the U.S. He wouldn't be dwarfed by other fighters (at his natural weight anyway), and his look and attitude are tailor made to fit in with the rest of the assholes we have over here already. Plus I want to see him fight Urijah Faber, but seeing as how Kid has had an injury ridden few years (hell, he didn't even fight last calendar year) and will probably be locked into Dream for life, I will be denied my fighting wet dream for the forseeable future.

Even sans the gimmick, Barnett is a legit troll when it comes to any journalist or anyone involved in the MMA business in general speaking ill of him at all. I mean, some journalists have taken to avoiding any criticism of Josh so as to avoid the headache of dealing with his inevitable bitching.

I've always looked at him the same way as EHME; he is what he is, so just try to go with the flow. Considering how poorly I regard most U.S. fighters personality-wise, I find it amusing that I find myself (somewhat) defending Josh from time to time on various boards. I guess he's usually respectful enough inside the cage/ring, so maybe that's why I give him a pass.

I'm kind of the opposite. I tend to care less about whatever kind of act a fighter may or may not be putting on inside a cage/ring. I think a truer measure of a fighter's personality and disposition is how they behave away from the cameras. In that sense, Sam Hoger is a nice guy, while Josh Barnett is an asshole.

I guess it's the whole lifestyle, fans and fighters alike, that sort of has me alienated. That's why I still watch the hell out of some K-1, at least Badr Hari knows he's an asshole. I'd prefer that over: "YEAH, I Know yall hate me, but ah'm good! yeah, represent [insert team name]!" Throw in some excessive expletives, lame ass jokes/insults, and a sideways hat and you end up with something that I deeply detest.

Maybe I'm just growing soft in my "old" age, but respect and honor are words that aren't held in high regards by today's fight community.

See, I like Josh when he comes out to Ai Wo Torimodose. When he came out at the last Affliction to generic rock music, I wanted him to lose.

Josh, at least in Japan, knew how to sell himself. I think on camera, he's a little unsure of himself for stuff like Affliction. He seems to have lost all his charisma. He was pretty boring on Affliction actually.

Kenny Florian should just make this his gimmick. Randomly bury fighters on radio or online. Not in his weight class though. Always in a different one so that they'll never fight.

Kenny: You see, Brock misses an easy armbar attempt from mount. Clearly he's still thinking he's working for that company up in Stamford.

Kenny: Here, we see Anderson be a bit too flashy and while it doesn't cost him the fight, it does show his overall lack of respect for not only his opponent, but for the sport.

Kenny: Now in this scene, ya got Sean Sherk who's just poorly trying..

Stage-Hand: Uh..Kenny...he's in your weight class.

Kenny: Oh...uhm...well, yeah! See, Sean Sherk is just utterly dominating his fight en route to another decisive victory for the Muscle Shark.

Blake Bowman's supposed "loss" to Keenan is to be treated as suspect until a further investigation into Keenan's alleged roiding/doping/cheating activities come are completed and Keenan is rightfully found guilty.

Well, I mean, it's "technically" hearsay & conjecture right now, but I refuse to believe that Blizake could lose to a freakin' Royce Gracie protégé.

Seriously, though. It does suck for Blake, who ended up taking the fight on a week's notice or so. But like someone else mentioned, that kind of thing doesn't really matter to the average person who'll see the extra L on his record.