TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Guest Brian

Does anyone here get the Observer and can type up what Dave has in there this week?

So I bought another Pride DVD(Shockwave 2005) and now I'm trying to figure out what to get next.

I want the 2005 Middleweight GP(is that any good?) but unfortunately they only put each round on the DVD's and they only have the first two rounds out!

Why are PRIDE and UFC so damn slow with releasing DVDs?

First round of the GP is solid, if unspectacular. Overeem/Belfort, Henderson/Nogeuira, Randleman/Nakamura and Silva/Yoshida are all good fights but the DVD is worth picking up for Shogun/Rampage, easily one of the best murderings in MMA in the last few years.

Second round has Arona/Sakuraba which is sickening at times to watch. Sak's face looks worse then Shamrock after the Tito beatdown at UFC 40. Silva/Nakamura is ok, ditto for Overeem/Voychanchen (sp?). The standout fight on it is Antonio Rogerio Nogeuira vs Shogun which is a great battle back and forth. The rest of the disc isn't really anything special though you do get to see Cro-Cop throw a disgusting liver kick.

Guest DRH 502

Henderson/Noguera is just phenominal on that card. Henderson looks like the champion he is even in defeat IMO....

Well the UFC and PRIDE needs to quit being slow in their release of DVD's.

One day I would like to own every UFC and PRIDE on DVD(even the shitty ones) but unfortunately that's not going to happen because the UFC doesn't have anything below UFC 39 on DVD and I really wish they'd go back and do the first 38. Yeah I know they're doing the classics but those really suck. And I doubt they'd do Classics all the way to 38. On top of that UFC 39-42 or so are all two DVD sets that are not only difficult to find but absurdly expensive compared to other UFC DVDs!

PRIDE is doing quite well at releasing DVD's, actually. They've been putting them out steadily at a rate of one every 3 weeks or so for a while now. UFC DVD's are at a stand-still because their distribution company went under and they don't have anybody who can ship them out at the moment.

Yo LOTC what's the context of your avatar? Who is that trying to scare Hunt anyway?

There was a WFA Countdown show. It must have done the trick, because before I couldn't give a shit, and now I'm interested. Really good piece, since they spent most of the attention on the fighters. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Mostly done on the main event, but that's to be expected.

They're expecting a half million buys and upwards of 17000 tickets sold. They're gonna be disappointed.

Yo LOTC what's the context of your avatar? Who is that trying to scare Hunt anyway?

There was a WFA Countdown show. It must have done the trick, because before I couldn't give a shit, and now I'm interested. Really good piece, since they spent most of the attention on the fighters. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Mostly done on the main event, but that's to be expected.

They're expecting a half million buys and upwards of 17000 tickets sold. They're gonna be disappointed.

I'll be a bastard and answer that for LOTC; it was Francisco Filho joking around with Hunt prior to their matchup in the GP Finals of 2001. Hunt won in an extra round decision.

In current news, check out the matchups for the next round of the Bushido GP, courtesy of prideofficial.com:

Filho Vs Chonan

Mousasi Vs Gono

Hendo Vs Misaki

Kang Vs Suloev

Interesting that they would match Hendo and Misaki up again so soon. I don't have high hopes for Filho against Chonan, based on the latter's fight against Schembri, but then again I would expect Filho to at least do more than Elvis did in that fight.

Looks like they want Gono in the next round, though I haven't seen too much of Mousasi so I could be wrong. I don't believe Kang is the second coming of Jesus Christ like a lot of Sherdoggers, but he at least brings it for every fight and this should be a good one against a competent fighter like Suloev.

Gono wins the Mousasi lottery because PRIDE probably loves his new gimmick.

Chonan gets Filho because his eye is still fucked up and Filho's the fighter least likely to actually... you know, punch him.

Misaki fights Henderson because he's the most likely of the Japanese fighters to be able to take him out.

Suloev faces Kang because the Japs don't give a shit about either.

Word is KID Yamamoto is putting MMA on hold to focus on wrestling.

Supposedly it's his father that's behind it, right? I think Kid may be a bit too "old" to come back to amateur wrestling.

UFC was on ESPN today announcing the GSP/Hughes rematch. Go to ESPN.com and you can see a streaming video clip of this segment.

I saw that on ESPNnews...I'm looking forawrd to the rematch. But, damn, what a stupid question to both guys at the end of their interview - "Whats your best story from the streets since becoming a UFC star?" They both responded with a hint of feeling that was the dumbest thing either had heard in awhile.

A big, snobbish grin to all those who thought K-1's MW tournament wouldn't blow, as BJ isn't participating (unsuprisingly), and so the line-up is:

Melvin Manhoef vs. Carlos Newton

Shungo Oyama vs. Rodrigo Gracie

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Taiei Kin

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Kestutis Smirnovas

In regards to UFN 6:

- Forrest Petz vs. Sam Morgan has been added

- Yuki Sasaki vs. Dean Lister & Eddie Sanchez vs. Jake O'Brien are rumoured

- Kalib Starnes & Michael Bisping are scheduled to compete

Manhoef is going to murder Newton...

Interesting to see Sam Morgan getting another shot at the UFC, his fight with Cummo was very entertaining.

A big, snobbish grin to all those who thought K-1's MW tournament wouldn't blow, as BJ isn't participating (unsuprisingly), and so the line-up is:

In regards to UFN 6:

Hey, I have a completely different view on it now that BJ is out. But if it leads to Saku/Newton II I'm all for it. My God, Oyama and Rodrigo has the potential to be hideously boring.

I don't think Manhoef will murder Newton either. Newton should weather Melvin's early flurry until he gasses then take him down and sub him. Wouldn't surprise me if it is under a round either.

In regards to UFN 6:

Hey, I have a completely different view on it now that BJ is out. But if it leads to Saku/Newton II I'm all for it. My God, Oyama and Rodrigo has the potential to be hideously boring.

I don't think Manhoef will murder Newton either. Newton should weather Melvin's early flurry until he gasses then take him down and sub him. Wouldn't surprise me if it is under a round either.

Is it under MMA rules or K-1 rules???

In regards to UFN 6:

Is it under MMA rules or K-1 rules???

MMA, all of these fights are under K-1's HEROES (MMA) banner. Manhoef has fought under K-1 rules before, though, impressively mauling Tatsufumi Tomihara before pulling himself from the tourney with an injury.

Newton should lose to Manhoef based solely on the fact that he's never been anything at MW, not mention that he's been on th shelf for a long while.

Also, even if Penn were in instead of Taiei fuckin' Kin, K-1 would've still kicked one of the other fighters out to bring in a total can for Akiyama to beat.

Guest DRH 502

I dunno man sometimes I think Newton's best days are behind him. I haven't saw a fight in a while but the last few times I saw him in PRIDE he didn't look so good. Has he worked on his standup or subs??

I dunno man sometimes I think Newton's best days are behind him. I haven't saw a fight in a while but the last few times I saw him in PRIDE he didn't look so good. Has he worked on his standup or subs??

I don't think he really needs to work on subs, and I don't think he's stupid enough to stand with Manhoef standing either. Manhoef doesn't exactly have the best conditioning ever and he's never really fought anyone who could be considered "dangerous" with subs, let alone someone like Newton.

Guest DRH 502

I was speaking in general. I've never really saw Newton do much outside of ground and pound...it just doesn't seem like he has evolved from his early days. Again I haven't saw many recent Carlos fights but what I have saw it just seemed like he has been passed up by the rest of the MMA world...

I was speaking in general. I've never really saw Newton do much outside of ground and pound...it just doesn't seem like he has evolved from his early days. Again I haven't saw many recent Carlos fights but what I have saw it just seemed like he has been passed up by the rest of the MMA world...

He's kind of like a smaller Heath Herring, but with more skill. He always puts on good fights and can usually beat C and sometimes B level fighters, but usually loses to top rung opponents. Kind of like a JTTS in the fight world to use an *ugh* wrestling analogy.

Guest DRH 502

Yeah I have noticed. It really sucks because I see a dude like Newton who has all the skills in the world to be at the top of the 170 pack, but it just seems like he lacks confidence whenever someone stuffs his takedowns...like when that happens he quits fighting to win and just starts trying to survive...

Newton's subs are really good, especially on top where he will be in this fight. Depends on which Newton shows up, the guy has a good chin, combined with solid wrestling, great subs and amazing athleticism. I would pick him normally but, he's a weight class above what he's used to, and he's been inactive while Melvin has been on a tear. Newton with no inactivity would win this handily since Manhoef's grappling is questionable. It would be like Carlos vs. Pele most likely, who is a much better striker than Manhoef. Carlos was also pwning Anderson on the ground before the standup, and Anderson is a much better grappler than Manhoef.

I've seen Carlos recently at the gym, no way that guy can cut to 170. He's gotta be above 200 at least.