TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/7 - 7/13

I still don't buy the Cards as legit contenders, but if they absolutely feel they must make a move, Burnett is probably not going to cost any team a lot.

The Cardinals are in a really weird space this year. After starting out white hot, they've been playing around .500 ball for the last month or so, but they've been achieving that mark against some really good teams (taking two of three from Boston in Fenway, for example) without their best players (Pujols, Wainwright, Molina, Ankiel).

With those guys returning to the fold with other guys coming off of rehab (Mulder, Carpenter, Clement), it looks like they would be in position to make a little bit of noise down the stretch, but they really have too many needs (leadoff hitter, corner OF bat, middle infielder) to really break through. And, given that they're stockpiling their quality prospects like Colby Rasmus and Jaime Garcia for next season, they don't really have any quality trade chits available to use in addressing those needs through trade.

So they'll probably stand pat, make a very dramatic push at the end for the WC slot, and come up short with ~85 wins.

Mulder leaves after a 1/3 of an inning, probably having re-injured himself on a pickoff throw. I just feel bad for the dude now.

Guest !!!

Glendon Rusch vs. Ben Sheets in Milwaukee tonight, the lineup is Weeks-Hardy-Braun-Fielder-Hart-Hall-Cameron-Kendall. Oh, this'll be fun.

Mulder leaves after a 1/3 of an inning, probably having re-injured himself on a pickoff throw. I just feel bad for the dude now.

How unreasonable is it to wonder if the Oakland A's are not just built on exploiting market inefficiencies, but also on needles in the ass? I mean, look: they were right across town from the really good shit, and they were obviously up to no good with Canseco and McGwire back when they had the Great Enabler managing them, not to mention Tejada and Giambi from the Art Howe years. Moreover, Eric Chavez is disintegrating, as are Zito, Mulder, Harden, et al. Michael Lewis might need another epilogue.

I still don't buy the Cards as legit contenders, but if they absolutely feel they must make a move, Burnett is probably not going to cost any team a lot.

Burnett was looking good through 5 innings up 8-1..

Then the Os jumped all over him and scored 6 runs in the 6th, capped by MISTER JONES' 3 Run HR that was absolutely crushed..

funny he can still get the win giving up 7 runs in 5 1/3.

That'll happen against shabby teams.

This might be it for Mulder. He's said he doesn't want to have any more surgeries.

Zambrano's dealing right now. One hit (an Adam Dunn solo shot) and no walks.

Glendon Rusch vs. Ben Sheets in Milwaukee tonight, the lineup is Weeks-Hardy-Braun-Fielder-Hart-Hall-Cameron-Kendall. Oh, this'll be fun.

How unreasonable is it to wonder if the Oakland A's are not just built on exploiting market inefficiencies, but also on needles in the ass? I mean, look: they were right across town from the really good shit, and they were obviously up to no good with Canseco and McGwire back when they had the Great Enabler managing them, not to mention Tejada and Giambi from the Art Howe years. Moreover, Eric Chavez is disintegrating, as are Zito, Mulder, Harden, et al. Michael Lewis might need another epilogue.

You know, I never really thought about that. You might be on to something. We should probably watch Rich Harden closely now that he's left there to see what happens.

And what the hell is in the water at Dodger Stadium?

So, I decided a few weeks ago I wanted to pay closer attention to the Mets farm system, cause it's not all that hard with all the information we have on the internet nowadays, and I might as well be informed. I came across something today I felt I wanted to share. Ike Davis, the Mets' first pick this year, has played 13 games of short season A ball. His line is as follows: .281/.276/.336. How the fuck is his on base percentage lower than his batting average? What the fuck? He's played 13 games and hasn't walked yet.

Guest Vitamin X
And what the hell is in the water at Dodger Stadium?

You don't want to know. Trust me.

So, I decided a few weeks ago I wanted to pay closer attention to the Mets farm system, cause it's not all that hard with all the information we have on the internet nowadays, and I might as well be informed. I came across something today I felt I wanted to share. Ike Davis, the Mets' first pick this year, has played 13 games of short season A ball. His line is as follows: .281/.276/.336. How the fuck is his on base percentage lower than his batting average? What the fuck? He's played 13 games and hasn't walked yet.

If you have more sacrifice hits than walks, that can happen.

miguel cabrera has been scorching hot since magglio got hurt. i think as the summer gets hotter, so does cabrera. sad thing is detroit isn't florida so it didn't start as early this year.

If you have more sacrifice hits than walks, that can happen.

That slipped my mind. You're pretty good at this baseball stuff, you know what Al?

So tomorrow I get on a plane at 6:30 am to head to Queens. I'm going to see Shea Stadium one last time :( Isn't baseball amazing? This game turned a shitty, poorly maintained building into a sentimental 2nd home.

And the Orioles blow it again against Toronto. Well, the way things are going now, it looks like Huff and a few others are going to be shipped off for younger talent at the trade deadline unless the O's clean up their act.

And the Orioles blow it again against Toronto. Well, the way things are going now, it looks like Huff and a few others are going to be shipped off for younger talent at the trade deadline unless the O's clean up their act.

They should trade them regardless. Can this team honestly win the AL East?

I just can't believe the Jays actually came back to win a game.

If McGowan's out for any longer than the month some are saying (he might need surgery) and they trade Burnett, the pitching is going to go from awesome to mediocre pretty quickly. Especially if Brian Tallet, who has probably been the worst guy in the bullpen all season, is going to have to fill a rotation spot.

They should trade them regardless. Can this team honestly win the AL East?

Forget about winning the AL East, that won't be possible. I'd just like to see them get to .500 at the end of the season.

I just saw Mike Hampton pitch. A real baseball game. Mike Hampton. Without collapsing. I'm pretty proud of myself. He almost hit a home run, too.

Rather than watch the Home Run Derby on Monday, I'm electing instead to head out to Williamsport to see the Crosscutters play the Oneonta Tigers. Oneonta has Pleasant Valley HS product Aaron Fuhrman on their roster, with any luck I'll get a chance to see him pitch.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm going to not ONE, but TWO Portland Beavers games next week since the Colorado Springs Sky Sox are coming to town. On Friday it's $1 hot dog night, and Sunday I have free tickets.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ian Stewart, Cory Sullivan, and Franklin Morales take on absolutely no one I care about but should because they're the only baseball team I could give a rat's ass about besides the Rockies!

I just can't believe the Jays actually came back to win a game.

Two in three nights. I'm speechless. It was a weird game, too, with five of the 6 Jays RBI coming on putouts (four RBI groundouts and a sac fly). Only Lind, with the game-winner, had an RBI come on a hit.

David Wright ended up making the AS team as he'll be replacing Soriano on the roster.