TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thanks for the Fish

JR and Lawler to reunite on Monday...

...to call the Saturday Night Main Event taping that is, according to Ross's official website (jrsbarbq.com)

Well at least this is one benefit to splitting up the longtime duo - bringing them back together for special events. I'm coming around to like Foley and Ross together, but Cole and Lawler are horrid. I wonder if they'd consider Ross and Lawler calling WM, or at least the ME's - the main events need Ross.

I don't really remember what Royal Rumble it was, but JR and Tazz did an amazing job together and had great chemistry on commentary.

Foley and Ross are definitely something different, but I agree that Cole teaming with the King is a bit rough.

They had one the night before ONS last year. I think it's got more to do with NBC's schedule availability than with WWE's storylines.

Seems like a good call though I do enjoy Ross/Foley. Cole/Lawler seems disjointed, it's like they don't really know how to work together. They're still better than Adamle so I'm ok with it.

Good lord, they're doing a SNME taping the same night as Raw? Didn't that horribly burn out the live crowd the last time they tried it?

I mean, I wouldn't complain, two shows for the price of one is a good deal, but still.

Good lord, they're doing a SNME taping the same night as Raw? Didn't that horribly burn out the live crowd the last time they tried it?

I mean, I wouldn't complain, two shows for the price of one is a good deal, but still.

I just read on WO.com that it's only supposed to be a one hour show, so it probably won't be as bad.

Plus, last time they also taped Heat before RAW. Now you can have SNME take the time before the show tat Heat would have been.

And it's mostly a charity thing anyway.

From WON:

They will be taping Saturday Night’s Main Event for 8/2 at the 7/28 Raw tapings in Washington, DC. Jenny McCarthy will be appearing on the show to raise awareness for her Generation Rescue group, which is a foundation raising money for scientists, doctors and parent volunteers researching the causes and treatments for Autism. McCarthy is on the group’s board. All of the promotion of the show will be based on McCarthy, and that the WWE is presenting a show to raise awareness of Autism. They aren’t promoting the show at all around the wrestling, and with less than two weeks to go, have not even announced a line-up. I expect they’ll air a lot of clips of Hollywood stars being taped at a function including Jim Carrey putting over WWE for helping with the cause. Ben Stiller, Toby Keith, Jewel and Billy Ray Cyrus are confirmed for appearing on the show. The show will feature the stars of WWE encouraging viewers to donate both time and money to the cause as well as to better educate themselves on the subject. Since the Chris Benoit incident and the WWE’s decline in reputation and public perception in the aftermath, Vince McMahon has decided to make the company front-and-center when it comes to publicly promoting certain charitable causes, and also to make sure to publicize the company’s involvement in such causes. For example, in the past, certain wrestlers (John Cena coming to mind) had always made it clear he didn’t want much of his work when it came to Make-a-Wish like visits and coming and bringing gifts to sick children in hospitals publicized, but since that time, WWE has worked on getting these type of stories out to local media to boost the public image of the company. From a business standpoint, doing this type of a show also eases pressure on the rating, since the network numbers have both been a disappointment and a hard sell to sponsors, but a show like this is one that, whether the numbers are good or bad, sponsors could feel far more comfortable about supporting. It’s a win, win. It’s a good cause and the company comes out looking good to the public. If the rating is down, there will be no negative ramifications. This will be McCarthy’s second wrestling appearance, as she appeared at the 1995 Wrestlemania as a guest manager for Shawn Michaels when he wrestled Diesel (Kevin Nash).

Plus, last time they also taped Heat before RAW. Now you can have SNME take the time before the show tat Heat would have been.

actually I was at that last RAW/SNME Taping at MSG and there was no HEAT taping, just one dark match with DLO Brown VS a jobber.

Cole and Lawler are terrible, I agree. Lawler sounds totally uninterested in being out there anymore now that JR is gone. I haven't heard JR with Foley yet but I figured I'd drop that my all time favourite team of "this generation" was when Paul E came in to do colour with JR when Lawler quit over that Kat fiasco. That was an awesome combo, IMO.

Yeah, Cole and Lawler are terrible. They have no chemistry at all. They're probably the one black eye on Raw right now. I've enjoyed the hell out of Foley and Ross on commentary. That was a pretty good idea. You know what? I think I actually like Adamle/Tazz better than Cole/Lawler. At least with Adamle, he will say something so fucking stupid it will make you laugh. Cole however, isn't so bad he's funny, he's just BAD. I mean who couldn't laugh at Adamle's horrible puns of Evan Bourne's name? :lol:

Adamle at this point is almost a parody of broadcasting, so if you listen to him with that in mind he's amusing for what he is. Cole though? At best he's so bland that I can tune him out and ignore him, and at worst he insults my intelligence and comes across like a cynical shill for WWE. As in he's a puppet for Vince rather than his own man telling you what he thinks.

The worst announcing team ever was Cole and Coach though. Remember that one episode of Smackdown this year, when there was a cage match with Michaels and Flair against the Edgeheads? There were amazing emotional spots where the Edgeheads were beating down Flair real bad in front of Michaels, making him watch. Cole and Coach stay quiet this entire time and don't sell this at all to the fans. Thats when I knew they needed to get rid of that announce team.

The worst announcing team ever was Cole and Coach though. Remember that one episode of Smackdown this year, when there was a cage match with Michaels and Flair against the Edgeheads? There were amazing emotional spots where the Edgeheads were beating down Flair real bad in front of Michaels, making him watch. Cole and Coach stay quiet this entire time and don't sell this at all to the fans. Thats when I knew they needed to get rid of that announce team.

Personally, I liked that they let the moment speak for itself instead of damning the Edgehead's to Hell.

Yeah, they were silent because the silence is what sold the moment to the fans. Maybe not to your liking, but times when the commentary is silent for big moments like that speak to the audience way more than if they were yelling.