TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Wood Caulfield

Best Endings To Pay-Per-Views

I just finished watching WCW Uncensored 1997 on YouTube. The ending where Sting beat the crap out of the nWo is still awesome 11 years later. The crowd reaction when Sting punches Hollywood Hulk Hogan is amazing, as they were already loud and I didn't think it was possible, but they got even LOUDER. This is probably the best ending to a pay-per-view or at least the best ending to a WCW pay-per-view ever. If not that, then Hogan forming the nWo would be my first choice.

So, I wondered, what are some of your favourite endings to pay-per-views? They could be anything from a wrestler winning a championship and celebrating, to a shocking heel turn, to something happening that made you want to tune into RAW or Nitro the next night to see what happened next.

Some other favourites:

-Mick Foley walking back to the dressing room after losing the Hell In A Cell Match to Triple H at No Way Out 2000.

-Stone Cold Steve Austin chasing Vince McMahon to the parking lot where Vince gloated that Austin lost the WWF Championship (and the Smoking Skull Title belt) after Austin lost the Triple Threat Match against Undertaker and Kane at Breakdown: In Your House.

-Eddie Guerrero celebrating his WWE Championship win at No Way Out 2004.

-Shawn Michaels celebrating his WWF Championship win at WrestleMania XII.

-Bret "Hitman" Hart celebrating his WWF Championship win at WrestleMania X: Ten Years In The Making.

-The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin drinking beer after The Rock defeated Triple H to win the WWF Championship at Backlash 2000.

-Stephanie McMahon's heel turn against her father and siding with Triple H at Armageddon 1999.

There's more, I'm sure, but that's all for now.

Edited by Ed Wood Caulfield

The definitive PPV Ending to me is Hulk Hogan joining the Outsiders at BATB 96 and newly dubbing the group the New World Order in an interview while being absolutely pelted with trash.

benoit_and_guerrero.jpg

WrestleMania XX. Two of my favorite wrestlers of all time, celebrating at MSG. It's crazy to think they'd both be dead about 3 years later.

Realizing that the Rock had been with the corporation all along during the Survivor Series title tournament. That shit was AWESOME

Its funny that you mentioned this bps, since when I read the thread title, that was the first show that came to my mind.

The entire finish to the Iron Man match between HHH & Rock at Judgment Day 2000 (outside of the botched timing). I was a huge Taker mark around this point, so dead man or biker, I was thrilled to see him back.

Realizing that the Rock had been with the corporation all along during the Survivor Series title tournament. That shit was AWESOME

Yes sir!

SummerSlam 97 was pretty good too, with Shawn accidentally costing Taker the belt.

Warrior's return at WM8, as well as the win over Hogan at 6.

The entire finish to the Iron Man match between HHH & Rock at Judgment Day 2000 (outside of the botched timing). I was a huge Taker mark around this point, so dead man or biker, I was thrilled to see him back.

I was actually at that show, and yes, the crowd went NUTS for Taker's return. It was the loudest pop I've ever heard in my life, out of any wrestling show I've been too.

Gotta go with WrestleMania XX. Never been so caught up in the moment as a wrestling fan. Also of note:

- The 1990 Great American Bash with Jim Ross interviewing Sting right after his victory was really awesome stuff.

- SummerSlam 92, as mentioned in the best victory celebration thread.

- Survivor Series 92 and 93 with Bret/Luger celebrating with Santa Claus. They should do that more often.

- IYH: Buried Alive with Taker's hand reaching out of the grave a la Carrie.

- ECW Heat Wave 98. Sandman, New Jack and Dreamer standing atop their respective ladders while Spike marches around all three of them.

- WrestleMania XV. Just a culmination of Vince and The Rock getting a comeuppance for all the bullshit that they put Austin, Foley and Hebner through.

- Jesse Ventura raising Mankind's hand at SummerSlam 99, anyone?

Randy Orton defeating ----- ------ clean at SummerSlam 2004

Edge winning the WWE Championship at NYR 2006

John Cena making HHH tap out at Wrestlemania 22

Randy Orton defeating HHH to win back the WWE Championship at No Mercy 2007

John Cena winning the 2008 Royal Rumble

All SHOCKING endings since I wasn't expecting them to happen at all.

All SHOCKING endings since I wasn't expecting them to happen at all.

You had to have been the only person to not see Roots Genoa dropping the World Heavyweight Championship at SummerSlam 04 (ironically enough I just finished watching that match about twenty minutes ago).

Nope, not funny anymore.

Most recently, Edge winning the TLC against Taker was awesome.

Flair closing out the '92 Rumble with the World Title win and the subsequent celebration interview was pretty wicked.

Yes sir!

SummerSlam 97 was pretty good too, with Shawn accidentally costing Taker the belt.

And watch the arena just EMPTY after that.

WM X comes to mind first, not just for Bret's big win, but for the face celebration, the dark cloud that was Owen lurking in the shadows, and the World's Worst Announce Team shutting up for a couple of minutes. The twelve months that came before were depressing and ambiguous and this kicked off a pretty solid Spring/Summer/Fall for them.

You had to have been the only person to not see Roots Genoa dropping the World Heavyweight Championship at SummerSlam 04 (ironically enough I just finished watching that match about twenty minutes ago).

I figured he would've held it a little bit longer.

I gotta second Heat Wave '98. When I think of amazing endings to a show, that's always the first one that comes to mind.

Also:

-Age of the Fall viciously destroying the Briscoes from RoH Man Up. Made all the better by the blood dripping from Jay (IIRC) onto Jacobs.

-Heyman making a run for it to count the pinfall after RVD hit the 5-Star on Cena from ONS '06, and the subsequent emptying of the "ECW" locker room.

-Guerrero/Benoit.

-Raven debuting in TNA, stealing the NWA title from Jeff Jarrett after nailing him with a DDT, and then doing the crucifix pose on the ramp as a sign that reads "McMAHON FEARS RAVEN" in full view.

See, personally I never liked the ONS 06 finish. I feared it would end up being some lame Dusty Finish type deal where RVD would have to relinquish the belt, so WWE managed to take the one thing I had wanted to see as a long time RVD fan and managed to make it dubious.

SummerSlam 1992 has my favorite ending ever to a PPV.

One of my favorite matches ever was the Austin/Dude Love title match with Vince as the referee and his stooges as the enforcers. Vince had emphatically said that the match would end "by my hand only" and that if Austin layed a finger on him, he would lose the strap. Austin ducks a chairshot, Dude nails Vince, and Austin pins Dude, counting the pinfall himself with unconcious Vince's hand. The crowd was awesome for this match.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could mention ONS 06 on here, since that finish made me more nervous than happy, because I thought Vince might do the most sleazy thing ever, by having RVD get the win at ONS so the crowd wouldn't riot, just so the next day when they're away from that crazy crowd, they would say RVD wasn't the champion after all. I was glad the next night on Raw, they officially made RVD the champion. I bet that Orton and (you know who) match at SS 04 is really bizarre to watch now. As for another PPV with an awesome finish, how about Sid showing up at the end of the GAB 99?! :lol:

Unforgiven 2001 with Angle finally beating Austin in his hometown and all the Angles celebrating the win.

Canadian Stampede 1997 with the Hart family celebrating in Calgary.

Shawn Michaels after beating Diesel at the In Your House after WrestleMania 12. He's chalk full of legit emotion after the win. Probably one of the best celebration/endings of all time.

I forgot to mention Booker T winning the world title again at The Great American Bash 2006. A GREAT moment in my book! :headbang:

Also, Ric Flair winning the title in his hometown at Starrcade 1993

Surprised WWE shooting fireworks into the crowd at WM 24 hasn't been mentioned.

Even though this happened, The end of Mania 24 was my favorite ever cause I was there live. Although walking on the cables was a little scary.