TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
yankovic fan

OMG! They killed Chef!

Singer, songwriter Isaac Hayes dies at age 65

8 minutes ago

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Isaac Hayes, the pioneering singer, songwriter and musician whose relentless "Theme From Shaft" won Academy and Grammy awards, has been found dead at home. He was 65.

The Shelby County Sheriff's Office says a family member found Hayes unresponsive near a treadmill on Sunday. He was pronounced dead about an hour later at Baptist East Hospital in Memphis. The cause of death was not immediately known.

In the early 1970s, Hayes laid the groundwork for disco, for what became known as urban-contemporary music and for romantic crooners like Barry White. And he was rapping before there was rap.

His career hit another high in 1997 when he became the voice of Chef, the sensible school cook and devoted ladies man on the animated TV show "South Park."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gsCUwiq...1RToZQD92FKRQO0

Very sad news indeed. I posted it under this forum due to his work in Shaft and South Park.

Man- this sucks. Hot Buttered Soul is a classic album

And why the hell isn't this in the music folder? Yeah I know he was on South Park and in Escape From New York but he was a musician first and foremost.

Man, famous black people are dropping like flies. Bernie Mac, Isaac Hayes, Estelle Getty, Koko B. Ware...the list goes on and on. Wonder what sort of impact this will have on the election. I think things are trending downward for Obama.

RIP, Mr. Hayes. I'll be missing you.

Jesus, this is turning out to be a shitty weekend.

For every day Obama stays in the race...

GOD SHALL KILL A BLACK ENTERTAINER

Mrs. Clinton is writing that speech right now.

I can't believe he's gone. My condolonces go out to his family and friends. While I'm happy a new generation got introduced to him on SOUTH PARK; I hope those same individuals pick up HOT BUTTERED SOUL and the SHAFT soundtrack to see why he is truly a music icon.

Its a bit morbid but I'm dreading hearing that next death announcement. This seems to be the only superstition that always bears fruit.

Man, famous black people are dropping like flies. Bernie Mac, Isaac Hayes, Estelle Getty, Koko B. Ware...the list goes on and on. Wonder what sort of impact this will have on the election. I think things are trending downward for Obama.

The above was my best Marvin impression. RIP, Mr. Hayes. I'll be missing you.

When did Koko B. Ware die?

He didn't. The joke just got away from him.

Got away from you, maybe. But, yeah, what do Scientoligists think happens to people when they die? Is Isaac out in that black righteous space now or is he with L. Ron or what?

The above was my best Marvin impression. RIP, Mr. Hayes. I'll be missing you.

What?

Guest Cal Moriarty

I know we're supposed to reflexively just say how it's sad when people die, but as I understand, his health had been deteriorating for a couple of years now, and really, the guy had a pretty amazing life, much more influential and fun than anything you or I will do. Hardly cut down in his prime. It's too bad that the Scientology bullshit will be a big part of his legacy. Oh well. One of the greats.

I'm moving this to Music, btw.

I don't care if Issac Hayes is more famous for being Chef and The Duke of New York. He was a legendary singer, songwriter, and producer and this belongs in the Music Folder, dammit! You did the right thing, Czech.