TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 94 - Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn II

Former number one welterweight contender, Karo Parisyan, has tested positive for several painkillers, including Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone and Oxymorphone, following his controversial split decision win over Dong Hyun “Stun Gun” Kim at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2” at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Jan. 31.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) today passed along the results to MMAmania.com.

“The Heat” has recently battled a nervous disorder, as well as injuries, which forced him out of a match against Yoshiyuki Yoshida less than 24 hours before showtime back in September 2008.

More on this breaking news in a bit. The other fighters tested on the card all passed their respective screenings for illegal/banned substances.

http://mmamania.com/2009/02/10/karo-parisy...s-after-ufc-94/

It'll be interesting to see how UFC handles this.

Usually when a UFC fighter tests positive for something, if they are a relatively big name, UFC will go to bat for them and either defend them (Sean Sherk) or whitewash it and treat it like it never happened outside of the odd Rogan mention (just about everyone else).

However, this is Karo. No matter how much UFC likes him, he hasn't looked good in his last few fights. He looked poor here. He hadn't fought for awhile. He has mental issues. And he failed the drug test with three different forms of painkiller in his system.

I'm interested to see if they'll release him, try to get him some help (because he obviously needs it), or just act like it's never happened. Any of the three are equally valid with UFC and how they operate.

So, if Penn v. GSP III does happen, I don't think it should be a main event on a PPV. Mainly because it fucks people over who spent the money to see the second fight because that was supposed to be THE fight, and now we are supposed to just throw that one to the wayside and spend another $50 to see a third fight. If anything, throw it on as a main event of a fight night card, or one of the lead-ins to the main event, but I will be pissed if it Main Events another PPV. And then there is always that outside small chance BJ Penn wins, THEN WHAT?

If it Main Events a summer PPV, I will just catch it at the bar.

As much as I'm opposed to a third fight for pretty much all logical reasons I read a suggestion at another board that's interesting: both fighters vacate their belts and UFC puts together Alves vs Fitch II and Florian vs Sherk II for the interim titles.

Me too but if BJ and GSP want to go at it again I don't see why deserving fighters should have to wait around.

If they fight again it'll be July at the earliest which means Florian and Alves wait until October or November for a shot? Fuck that.

Kenny Florian knew that trash talk would be par for the course gearing up towards a fight with UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn. However, he didn’t quite expect the kick-off he got on Tuesday.

Penn, who’s been nursing his wounds since his four-round loss to welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 94 on Jan. 31, expressed surprise that Florian planned to train with the French Canadian fighter, claiming that Florian had previously contacted Penn to warn him of St. Pierre’s proclivity to “grease up” before fights.

Penn dropped the bombshell statement during his first sit-down video interview since UFC 94 on BJPenn.com.

“That is kind of surprising to me because Kenny is actually the guy who tipped us off that GSP was going to be greasing,” said Penn. “He actually e-mailed me and tipped me off.”

Florian, who once trained with the popular Hawaiian fighter in his homeland, seemed flabbergasted by Penn’s assertion.

“I’ve never emailed a fighter about anything like that. I don’t even have B.J. Penn’s email,” a puzzled Florian told Sherdog.com on Tuesday. “I’d love to see that email. I would say print that email and show it to everybody. Where’s this mystery email?”

Florian, 32, also dispelled any possibility that the two had exchanged the alleged information by other means.

“I haven’t spoken to B.J. -- besides ‘hello’ -- since January of 2007,” he said. “I’ve never trained with [st. Pierre] in the past. I have no motive in saying that. Even if I knew, would I say that? I know of other fighters who have [greased] and I don’t say anything to anybody.”

Florian doesn't want to wait for his shot at Penn. Florian, who busted through Joe Stevenson in four minutes at UFC 91 last November, has gone 6-0 in the Octagon since his unanimous decision loss to then-champion Sean Sherk at UFC 64 in October 2006.

The Boston native is widely considered the No. 1 contender to Penn’s lightweight throne, though the controversy surrounding greasing allegations by St. Pierre’s corner and subsequent aspirations for a rematch have threatened to derail a Penn-Florian showdown.

Florian (11-3) interpreted Penn’s latest revelation as a step back in his direction at least.

“I was a little worried [about a St. Pierre-Penn rematch coming first],” said Florian. “From what I heard, it did really well with the pay-per-view and a lot of people turned up for it. The UFC certainly could have made a lot of money doing the third one, but I think the overwhelming response was –- I didn’t realize how big of a fight it would be between me and B.J. until I saw the polls and people talking on the Interweb. People want to see me fight B.J. and it feels good to know that.”

Florian suggested that Penn “feels threatened” by the fighter’s intentions to train with St. Pierre, and described the Hawaiian’s comments as “a mind game.” Florian hopes to join the multi-talented 170-pound king in Montreal sometime in March.

Penn’s assessment of Florian the fighter was far less controversial.

“He’s very good,” said Penn during the hour-long interview. “He’s very well rounded. He’s a black belt in jiu-jitsu. He’s obviously improved his wrestling and he’s a southpaw muay Thai fighter with great kicks. He can box, he can elbow, he can knee. He’s a mixed martial artist. He is. I give Kenny that: He’s a mixed martial artist, and I’ve got my work cut out for me.”

The UFC has not officially offered Florian a title shot against Penn (13-5-1) yet, though the part-time ESPN correspondent anticipates a return to the Octagon in June or July. Penn confirmed that his reps are currently negotiating the bout with the UFC.

Known as a cerebral competitor, Florian’s reasons for training with St. Pierre are two-fold.

“He’s trained everyone to fight against me. He trained both [sam] Stout and [Roger] Huerta to fight me,” said Florian. “and obviously, he got a first-hand account of fighting B.J. –- twice. He’s gone seven rounds with B.J., so that’s some good information to get. Hopefully Georges will forget about the email I sent B.J. Penn and share it with me.”

He should sharpen it as much as he can. Kenny isn't on GSP's level of wrestling or strength so he very much needs to be ready for the possibility of BJ stuffing his takedowns and keeping it standing.

The stand-up really depends on how much BJ presses Florian. BJ's best when staying the pocket and throwing punches, where Kenny's weakest. Florian will have to stay moving, and utilize leg and body kicks from outside and hope to wear BJ down that way. He may also find some success in the clinch, but risking dirty-boxing exchanges with a guy who punches harder and has a good chin is pretty risky.

I don't even know what to say from that article.

I get the feeling BJ Penn's going to go through life from now on and at various times randomly scream "GREASER!" and then try to somehow connect it the current situation he's in.

He's bordering on slander with his latest rant about GSP using steroids. I say bordering because he's saying "a friend of a friend" and making an accusation without actually coming right out and saying it. Honestly, I'd say that BJ has lost it except that he's still going right up to that line and not crossing it (as he always does), which indicates some level of sanity.

A lot of people think GSP is on steroids, guys in our gym included. Some guys swear he is, some swear he isn't. Before when I used to ask coach if he was, he'd be like "no, no, for sure no". Now, he throws his hands up and is like "I don't know, don't ask me things like that". That's all I'm saying, don't ask for anything else.

Almost everyone roids, with just variances of how much and how well they hide it. Even the most inexperienced of pro fighters have mentioned the feeling that they need to roid in or order to be competitive.

Illegal rubber guard enhancer.

EDIT: Speaking of rubber guard, I just wanted to mention how funny it was that my former BJJ trainer took 2 months to realize that excessive rubber guard'ing didn't really work well for me (a short Mexican with stubby legs.) Thank goodness for kneebar & kimura sweeps.

"Yeah it went from an email, to a text to a friend of the camp. I think next it will be a fax, and then it'll probably be a bird that delivered a telegram to him from a roommate's brother's dog's owner's sister."- Kenny, on his "involvement" in Greasegate.

Man, it's open season on fighters taking shots at BJ. He's taken more shit in the least few weeks then he has in his entire career.