TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 94 - Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn II

Andy Wang is a samurai.

Real warriors like Andy don't go home to their girlfriends after they lose! He sticks it out and gets booted of his team!

And yet somehow gets loved by everyone in the house...and Mac Danzig the next season.

Mac Danzig: ANDY WANG CAN TAKE A PUNCH!!!!

Blake Bowman: ... but not a head kick.

You were obnoxious in your prediction, bashing Rashad as a fighter and his talent level. You've been bashing Rashad as a fighter for months now, yet you try to deny it. You're just making yourself look more stupid then you already have. Rashad has proven time in and time out to be an elite fighter, and everytime he proves you wrong you make excuses and still bash him as a fighter making you look more stupid.

How many times do I have to say that Rashad is a talented fighter? I wasn't sold on him going into the Chuck fight because he didn't impress me against Tito or Bisping. I didn't see the Chuck fight except for the KO, so I can't comment on that. And in my opinion, Forrest was winning the fight before getting floored. But he is a talented fighter. He is undefeated and he is the champion, so how can I say he isn't?

But this doesn't mean I have to become his biggest fan. I'm still not a GSP fan despite his impressive wins. I don't have to like a fighter because they win.

Just like I don't see you stopping me for making fun of you for getting trained by a guy who made himself look like an idiot on national TV. Joe Scarola is up there with Andy Wang and Noah Inhofer as the biggest douchebags in TUF history. Atleast Andy Wang didnt pack his shit up after he lost because he wanted to go see his girl.

Oh, like I give a shit what you think about Scarola and what happened on TUF. Yeah, I saw that season and I thought the same thing until I met the guy. Then I heard the interview that happened afterwards where him and Danzig both went on and said the show completely blew the situation out of the water just to make entertaining TV.

I shouldn't be defending myself against you. I don't even know who the hell you are or what you do. Do you even train or do you sit on your couch, watching UFC PPV's and PRIDE DVD's and assume you're knowledgeable. You know what? I don't even care.

Keep talking shit all you want about Scarola or any TUF fighter you want. The truth of the matter is these are still talented fighters who ended up on TV for a reason and continue to fight, while you post here. Good job, buddy.

I believe Greg Jackson's side of the story, however for people to say Greasing wouldn't have mattered, I would argue that, especially with BJ fighting from his back most of the 2nd and 3rd rounds. It would make it significantly harder to hold a tight guard and or work submissions, when someone is all greased up.

If you pay attention to the article Jackson says GSP was toweled off at the end of the 2nd so if you in fact believe Jacksons side of the story then GSP was vaseline-free going into the 3rd.

If you pay attention to the article Jackson says GSP was toweled off at the end of the 2nd so if you in fact believe Jacksons side of the story then GSP was vaseline-free going into the 3rd.

Yes I did pay attention, what I am saying is that "in general" greasing/vasoline-ing a fighter would have an affect, and it seems that people are saying that it wouldn't have mattered anyway, which I disagree with. I am not saying in this particular fight it happened.

GSP greasing in this fight wouldn't have changed the outcome much, seeing as how he outstruck BJ, has better wrestling, and BJ has never been great from his back. On the other hand, I don't think this and the previous accusations of greasing (if actually stated) should be disregarded as wholly unimportant.

It may have hindered BJ from stifling Georges' GnP with his pseudo rubber guard for a round or two, but I don't think BJ would have been able to implement a full offensive Rubber guard simply because GSP wasn't really giving him anything to work with.

Realistically speaking, since it appears to me that Nurse didn't use a lot of Vaseline, how much grease is needed for it to be effective?

The MMA media is blowing the Vaseline thing out of proportion. If you read between the lines, you almost get the feeling that some are attributed GSP's win to it This is not a Sakuraba/Akiyama type situation where Sakuraba couldn't take him down and then proceeded to SCREAM at the referee that he was "slippery" and stopped fighting. Of course, that referee being a K-1 referee was utterly incompetent and didn't do anything.

Here, they can only prove that the cornerman used a trace amount most likely because he "forgot" to wipe off his hands after putting some on GSP's face. Okay. Ban the corner man and anyone who did it. Done. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to think it affected the fight. By the beginning of round two (where most say it happened), Penn was already tired because GSP had worn him out against the cage with his intended gameplan. The vaseline didn't help GSP get those takedowns, and at most you can say it helped GSP pass Penn's guard.

Standing, it didn't help GSP land jabs and shots at will. Penn was being destroyed in all facets of the game. If you wanna believe that GSP was greased and therefore had a huge advantage, then I guess you could...but Penn wasn't going to win that fight. Round one before any "greasing" pretty much proved it.

I almost want to call sour grapes on most of the reports. Some, like Zach Arnold I get the feeling is just hunting for a story to run, while others I almost believe they don't want to accept Penn's loss and are running this as if to say "SEE?! SEE?! GSP COULDN'T WIN FAIR THE CHEATER!"

Realistically speaking, since it appears to me that Nurse didn't use a lot of Vaseline, how much grease is needed for it to be effective?

I think it depends on the lubrication used. Thai oil, which Guillard supposedly used against Huerta, is supposed to be effective in small doses. Don't know about vaseline, though.

I think it depends on the lubrication used. Thai oil, which Guillard supposedly used against Huerta, is supposed to be effective in small doses. Don't know about vaseline, though.

As a dad who has to change a shitload of diapers, I can tell you that a dot of vaseline here and there will not make much of a difference. Get a bit more and spread it around and it's somewhat slick. That's the key though - you have to make the effort to spread it around. Dabbing vaseline on someone should leave a rather obvious amount of the stuff on them.

No it isn't. That proves nothing, one way or the other

What's it then? Is it a freakin wet pad? Look, I'm not trying to discredit St. Pierre's victory but rather questioning the legitimacy of the action.

At no point in that gif does St.Pierre's cornerman touch him with vaseline. His left hand has nothing in it, the other hand with the jar grazes GSP's shoulder. As has been previously explained, fighters get Vaseline put on their faces in between rounds to minimize the possibility of a cut. At that point, GSP's just finished a round, and his people are likely trying to get him to his corner; not as you seem to be implying, greasing him up in front of the cameras

The idea that that gif "proves" the greasing is fucking hilarious.

Nurse (I think that's his name) comes up after the round, places his hand on GSP's shoulder and back as a soothing gesture, and the vaseline jar touches GSP's shoulder.

There's no rubbing. There's no motions unless you wanna say he was touching him with vaseline so he could THEN spread it. But you wouldn't get much on GSP doing that anyway, so why the fuck bother?

The whole thing is stupid. The NSAC say GSP only had trace amounts on his back. Not enough to influence the fight to any large degree. If they thought that, they'd have already acted and you wouldn't have Dana and Lorenzo actively trying to get the commission to act. They *WANT* the cornermen that were responsible banned from cornering, even if it is Greg Jackson that did it.

People need to get off this "OMG CHEATER" thing and be logical for once. It was a mistake. A mistake that will probably end up with Phil Nurse and Greg Jackson banned from cornering FOR LIFE. Think about how that's going to change everything. Rashad, Jardine, GSP, they won't have their trainer in their corner anymore.

That's huge.

MMAMania is reporting that B.J. claims he was going to retire and vacate both belts if he beat GSP.

What the fuck is going through his head?

The idea that that gif "proves" the greasing is fucking hilarious.

Nurse (I think that's his name) comes up after the round, places his hand on GSP's shoulder and back as a soothing gesture, and the vaseline jar touches GSP's shoulder.

There's no rubbing. There's no motions unless you wanna say he was touching him with vaseline so he could THEN spread it. But you wouldn't get much on GSP doing that anyway, so why the fuck bother?

The whole thing is stupid. The NSAC say GSP only had trace amounts on his back. Not enough to influence the fight to any large degree. If they thought that, they'd have already acted and you wouldn't have Dana and Lorenzo actively trying to get the commission to act. They *WANT* the cornermen that were responsible banned from cornering, even if it is Greg Jackson that did it.

People need to get off this "OMG CHEATER" thing and be logical for once. It was a mistake. A mistake that will probably end up with Phil Nurse and Greg Jackson banned from cornering FOR LIFE. Think about how that's going to change everything. Rashad, Jardine, GSP, they won't have their trainer in their corner anymore.

That's huge.

At the very worst it's going to be Nurse that's banned and even then only in Nevada. Jackson is fine.

Actually, no. There's statements that say Jackson did what Nurse did as well at least once.

His cornering is at risk as well.

And if Nevada says someone is banned, they are *banned* from the rest of the commission states. UFC won't allow anyone to corner who Nevada has banned.

I’m not the only one who has said that GSP felt greasy during a fight. I know Matt Serra has mentioned it and, even in their first fight, I think BJ said something. I’m not saying GSP did something wrong and I’m not saying that it would have changed any outcomes of any fights; but what I am saying is, for my last two fights against Georges, he felt greasy.

- Matt Hughes

I’m not the only one who has said that GSP felt greasy during a fight. I know Matt Serra has mentioned it and, even in their first fight, I think BJ said something. I’m not saying GSP did something wrong and I’m not saying that it would have changed any outcomes of any fights; but what I am saying is, for my last two fights against Georges, he felt greasy.

- Matt Hughes

Translation: "I'm not saying that GSP was cheating, but he was cheating. Matt Serra said so."

What a douche.

- Matt Hughes

Translation: "I'm not saying that GSP was cheating, but he was cheating. Matt Serra said so."

What a douche.

gsp_hughes_2.gif