TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 8/28 - 9/1

Man, either Alabama is playing with a huge fucking chip on their shoulder or Clemson is primed for another massive underachieving year. Either way, this is complete dominance so far.

I thought Clemson would actually get it done this year but it's not looking good right now.

EDIT: Otis Wiley's looking awfully good for MSU. I played against him in H.S. and never thought he would turn out to be this great.

Bama has looked good so far, but their relative inability to punch the ball into the endzone against Clemson (who had a shaky red zone defense last year) has me somewhat worried. Also, Clemson has shown signs of life in the passing game and with the caliber of athletes that they possess, one big play and the momentum could swing.

Running game has looked great; Ingram has basically come out of nowhere and Coffee looked good in the first as well. People were pegging Terry Grant as a top 20 back, but I only saw him once the entire first half.

Guest WhackingCockDick
Bobby Reid and Texas Southern are playing on ESPNU at 10:30 PM ET for those interested

im40.jpg THAT AIN'T TRUE

Last time I ever put any hope into ACC swine. Watch everyone get high on Alabama moonshine thanks to the schedule a vagina would make until they play Georgia in a couple of weeks. As soon as they hit conference play they're going to get swatted down by the Georgias and LSUs and Auburns and Tennefuckingsees. Only then, in the end, will the entire Atlantic shoreline (well, the southeast and a bit up in Boston for some reason) implode upon itself. I welcome this new age of an ACC that couldn't screw a pooch if it had a manual. Go Wake Forest.

Where was this USC offense last season? They were clicking on all cyclinders. I don't know what the game was more indicative of, that the USC offense is here or that the UVA defense is not.

Both. Gotta take into account that the USC receivers who dropped so many passes last year picked up that extra year of experience. Tight end may be an offensive weakness, otherwise, there aren't any. This team is ready to win it all.

I think McCoy is solid but unspectacular now when Blake Ayles is ready there will be a weapon there, it's nice to see some other SC fans around here. I personally think Damian Williams is going to be huge this year followed by Ronald Johnson, Hazelton already hurt himself again and I've never been enamored with Turner..

Either way who's your high school teammate?

Yeah I am quite impressed with that USC performance. Who knows for sure how down UVA is this year but that is still beating a feasible major conf. team like they were a I-AA scrub. Maybe the ACC is simply that bad.

Well I was jacked up for OU's glorified scrimmage. They went in at halftime up 50-0 and I was enjoying seeing the players I hadn't got to see all summer (practices and scrimmages have been closed). Then weather comes through and we sit through an hour and a half rain delay. Damn.

That just killed my will to watch anymore. Luckily I had 'Bama slaughtering Clemson and Illinois/Mizzou to keep me entertained.

Then of course Stoops has to take mercy on poor Tenn Chat by running the most vanilla offense in the second half and scoring just one TD.

Oh well, at least I'll get to see a real game against Cincy next week.

BTW, WTF Clemson?

Last time I ever put any hope into ACC swine. Watch everyone get high on Alabama moonshine thanks to the schedule a vagina would make until they play Georgia in a couple of weeks. As soon as they hit conference play they're going to get swatted down by the Georgias and LSUs and Auburns and Tennefuckingsees. Only then, in the end, will the entire Atlantic shoreline (well, the southeast and a bit up in Boston for some reason) implode upon itself. I welcome this new age of an ACC that couldn't screw a pooch if it had a manual. Go Wake Forest.

Gee, bitter much? :P

Guest Vitamin X

The argument that he's bitter would only make sense if he wasn't a Vols fan, not Clemson.

Totally not trying to be a smart ass here, but I know you're a UT fan so here goes: What does the Tennessee squad this year have to offer that they didn't have last year when they got ass raped 45-17? If the Bama squad from last year cut up the UT secondary like Swiss cheese I could only imagine what they will do if they look as good as they did last night. Of course this could all depend on how good Clemson really is, but that will be hard to tell because they play the schedule two vaginas would make in the weeks leading up to Bama playing Georgia. I could feel people jumping on the bandwagon when the game was only 6-0, so I don't want the hype machine to go out of control either.

Give us a UT football preview Art, so I'll know what to expect come that last weekend in October.

So apparently OU was trying not to score in the second half. I never thought I'd see Bob Stoops take mercy on someone.

The first Saturday of college football is over and I'm sad. I never wanted it to end. At least next week will be college on Saturday and NFL on Sunday. A whole weekend of football! Hell yeah!

Two I-AA teams choked in the waning minutes/quarter as Western Illinois lost to Arkansas 28-24 and UC Davis lost to San Jose State. Also Northern Illinois choked and lost to Minnesota... very disappointed that none of those games were won by the losers (esp. the WI game because WI is ranked #25 in I-AA and Arkansas has Petrino on board).

Either way who's your high school teammate?

Averell Spicer, #99.

Another one named Terrell Thomas got drafted by the Giants in the second round of this year's draft.

Oh man, was that ever bad. I wasn't expecting greatness out of U of L this year, but this was 10x worse than anything I could have ever imagined. 27-2 loss to a very mediocre UK team? What on earth has happened to Hunter Cantwell? The guy was solid when he played in some games when Brohm was hurt, but he looked hopelessly lost out there today. Add in a total lack of running game and this was just...bad. Brock Bolen should be a FB, not the starting RB.

Totally not trying to be a smart ass here, but I know you're a UT fan so here goes: What does the Tennessee squad this year have to offer that they didn't have last year when they got ass raped 45-17? If the Bama squad from last year cut up the UT secondary like Swiss cheese I could only imagine what they will do if they look as good as they did last night. Of course this could all depend on how good Clemson really is, but that will be hard to tell because they play the schedule two vaginas would make in the weeks leading up to Bama playing Georgia. I could feel people jumping on the bandwagon when the game was only 6-0, so I don't want the hype machine to go out of control either.

Give us a UT football preview Art, so I'll know what to expect come that last weekend in October.

I honestly can't tell you anything until the UCLA game tomorrow night. I also don't want to sound like a pessimist before the Vols put together one of those quiet ten win seasons (including a bowl performance people forget about too). I find it's best to keep my hopes low with this team in terms of a whole season, as the top five preseason ranking in 2005 taught me. On game day I feel like we can beat anyone, natch. Let's go game by game:

@ UCLA: Win, but it'll be pretty competitive. UCLA won't have the insane speed that Cal did last year.

UAB: Win.

Florida: Win. If we're going to beat goddamn Fagshitter Tebow, this is the year. We could lose every game from here on but I'll be golden.

@ Auburn: Loss. They'll have that new offense working by the time we come to town. If not, Auburn's fucked.

Northern Illinois: Win. I guess. Garrett Wolfe isn't there anymore, right?

@ Georgia: Win. I think we just have Georgia's number. Our chances also increase if we lose to Auburn AND Florida. Any time we play Georgia and really need that win, we get it.

Missisippi State: Win. Poor Sylvester.

Alabama: Win. This is based on nothing besides wanting to kill the hype.

@ South Carolina: Win. lol, South Carolina

Wyoming: Win.

@ Vanderbilt: Loss. Too many wins so far, and a mild shocker on the road is plausible for this team.

Kentucky: Win. Kentucky's season will be doing an impression of a man who's had his heart removed.

SEC Championship: Loss to either Auburn or LSU.

Can't spell Citrus Bowl without UT again, it would seem. This is all way too optimistic, but none of these teams have really played yet except Alabama and come on, we've got that. Alabama looked good last night, but Clemson also looked like they gave up when they came out and got punched in the face, like this was going to be a tackle football game or something. The Georgia game will tell us a lot.

After seeing them in person, I can safely say that pretty much all the players on USC are Terminator-esque football monsters sent from the future. Whew.

Virginia will be down from last year's 9 wins, but I was actually kind of pleased with what I saw, despite that whole 45-point loss thing. The new QB, Lalich, will be good this year and has the chance to be special down the road, and the running backs should do fine against the significantly slower and shittier ACC (hahahaha Clemson). Probably 5-7 wins on the year, but I think the offense is going to be really fun to watch. The defense was terrible yesterday, which isn't surprising considering the line and half the DBs were all new starters and Al Groh is possibly the worst coach in the country when it comes to gameplanning for season openers. Also, the Song Girls are not that hot when they're not wearing the longsleeve sweaters.

One of my friends went to hotel where USC was staying to see if he might run into anybody. Pete Carroll was in the bar, talked to him for half an hour, picked up his bar tab, and brought Rey Mauluga down to hang out and sign a couple of autographs. I forgive him those 52 brutal points.

Cal Poly also upset San Diego State 29-27 on a 21 yard FG with 0:00 left on the clock. Nice...

QB Jonathan Dally went 12/20 for 220 yards and 1 TD and had 17 carries for 40 yards and 1 TD. RB James Noble and RB Ryan Mole combined for 23 carries for 173 yards and 1 TD. WR Ramses Barden went 7/161/1.

I can't believe how bad Rutgers' new kicker is. Granted, on that second one the snap was bad, but neither of those were even close. It doesn't help that they can't seem to find the endzone with no real rushing game.

This game is terrible. This is going to be a LONG season for UCLA.

And I can see now why SEC teams rarely leave their state for out of conference games.

Can't think of two more disparate halves than Craft had. Ben Olson and Patrick Cowan limp in solidarity with their newfound hope. Tennessee's totally gonna make it to FG range, though.