TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Divisional Playoffs, AL Edition

I was in class for the last few hours. I don't hate the Rays. I'd like to see them win the WS this year. I do however hate phony fans who show up during the playoff run and then start talking about how "I'm a diehard since mid June of '08 baby!" It just reminds me of my cousin who is LeBron James like in his bandwagon fandom across the sports. His favorite team is whoever's winning.

I see that, but anytime a team makes the playoffs, you're going to have fans coming out of the woodwork. In a lot of markets, it would probably just mean more people watching on TV, but since the Rays don't have a huge fanbase to begin with, they're going to the games instead.

Fairweather fandom seems to be most noticeable in the state of Florida, though. The Miami Heat is another great example. A year after winning the NBA title, they hovered just above the .500 mark for a while (still more than good enough to make the playoffs in the East), and those arenas were half full, if that, during the regular season. Both the Rays' and Marlins' stadiums are frequently close to empty, as well (though in the case of the latter, I can't really blame the fans for not giving their money to the people who run that franchise). Apologies if I offend any of our Floridians, but that's just something I've noticed over the years. I suppose there's a lot more to do at night in Florida though than in, say, Sacramento.

Miami specifically is a very bad sports town. I'm always flip-flopping as to whether Miami or Atlanta is the worst sports town in America.

The whole state of Florida seems to be in love with football more than anything else, though.

Florida really has a few problems as a baseball state.

1. It's over saturated. In the Tampa Bay region, you have the Clearwater Threshers, Dunedin Blue Jays, Sarasota Reds, Tampa Yankees and Lakeland Tigers all playing nearby in the Florida State League. And of course those Spring Training games in March. Spring Training draws fantastic, but the FSL draws terribly. Perhaps crowds would rise if the product was consolidated.

2. Said Spring Training complexes probably hurt efforts to drive fan loyalty. I would bet that fan support in Florida is more fragmented than any other region.

3. Many residents of Florida head North during the summer.

4. Florida is a big tourist state. Tourists do not make good baseball fans.

The result is that while you have many baseball fans, it is difficult to draw loyal fans to one team.

In Tampa Bay's defence, the Lightning have been towards the top of the league in attendance since they won the Stanley Cup (including last year, when they were god awful), so there is a precedent that the fans will keep coming out after the playoffs.

At least the Sox managed to get 2 runs after loading the bases with no outs. Although, given the circumstances, they should have gotten more. But failing to convert in bases loaded situations was a huge problem yesterday.

Jesus, 50,000 people there all with cowbells and I can still hear that FUCKING heckler.

Somebody please shoot him.

I cant wait for the Manny Series (Boston vs LA). TB got lucky catching the White Sox after they had to play the extra games but Boston will beat them back down where they still dont belong.

It might be the first year in quite a long time that I dont watch 1 game of the WS, I dont think I will be able to take it.

I only saw the last few innings but holy shit was C.B. Bucknor's strike zone abominable. MLB should be embarrassed to have such incompetency on display in a playoff game.

I only saw the last few innings but holy shit was C.B. Bucknor's strike zone abominable. MLB should be embarrassed to have such incompetency on display in a playoff game.

Bucknor's incompetence is well known by now. I'm really surprised it's tolerated.

Is it me or does Buck Martinez have obvious bags under his eyes. He does these late games and then does XM's morning MLB show at 6am ET. Can't keep burning the candle at both ends.

Guest Smues

So far so good on the AL side of the playoffs. Tampa is up 2-0 and Boston has a decent lead in game 2. I would be pulling for those two to win anyway, but there's the added bonus that if Tampa wins and Boston wins then Tampa hosts game 1 and 2 of the ALCS and I'll be able to catch at least one of those (even possibly without needing a scalper, but I'll go that route if needed despite my deep, deep hatred of Stubhub) so go Boston/Tampa!

I cant wait for the Manny Series (Boston vs LA). TB got lucky catching the White Sox after they had to play the extra games but Boston will beat them back down where they still dont belong.

If we get that ALCS I think Boston will win, but why so quick to count out Tampa? They took the season series from Boston, including 4 of 6 in September when they were fighting for the division title. Tampa beating Boston and advancing to the World Series would not shock me in the least.

Bucknor's incompetence is well known by now. I'm really surprised it's tolerated.

Is it me or does Buck Martinez have obvious bags under his eyes. He does these late games and then does XM's morning MLB show at 6am ET. Can't keep burning the candle at both ends.

Buck also did a lot of Os games on MASN. I dont know how he finds all the time.

If we get that ALCS I think Boston will win, but why so quick to count out Tampa? They took the season series from Boston, including 4 of 6 in September when they were fighting for the division title. Tampa beating Boston and advancing to the World Series would not shock me in the least.

Too many Sunday victories.

I'm not getting Francona's bullpen use tonight. He brought in Okajima a little too early, IMO. That probably leaves Delcarmen and Lopez (for lefties) for the 8th before Papelbon.

Of course, he had to do it because Dice-K couldn't get past the 5th....AGAIN!

Now why the fuck is Masterston still in the game? You really want to put that much pressure on him? Lopez is there for a fucking reason, Terry.

EDIT: Who the fuck dresses Craig Sager? I mean, seriously, someone is fucking with us.

Edited by KingPK

Two blown calls by the umps on tag plays go in favor of the Sox. Nice to see that MLB's best umps are living up to expectations.

It doesn't matter anymore since K-Rod just showed a great deal of aptitude for being the next Mets closer by giving up a crushing bomb in the 9th.

62 saves don't mean shit in October. This game is unfolding almost exactly like last year's game 2.

Edit: SoSH just exploded.

Edited by KingPK