TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Divisional Playoffs, AL Edition

The hell are you talking about? The Cubs had the best record in the NL.

He said both teams, meaning if the Angels got swept last night both teams with the best record in their respective league would have been swept.

^^^

Yes. Sorry, I probably should've worded that better.

I like a decent amount of parity in sports, but the best teams in the regular season shouldn't be going down without a fight in the first round.

Wow, the Rays are in the ALCS, never saw that coming at the beginning of the season. Good for them, though.

Yeah... as much as it sucks to see the Sox lose, the Rays make for a good story. Very promising young team. They just outplayed the Sox in this series. The Sox' problem had been stranding baserunners, but they barely had any baserunners in Game 4.

Clutch hit of the year by Torii Hunter. I don't have much of an interest in seeing either team advance, but I really like Torii and it's nice to see him pull through where the rest of the team has struggled with men on.

Jon Lester has been nothing short of fantastic this postseason.

...and as fantastic as he has been Francona pulls him after 7 with 109 pitches. I know there arent any "Horses" in baseball these days that can throw 130 but when a guy is dealing and not showing any signs of fatigue you have to run him out to at least start the inning with some relief warming.

All I heard about the Angels all season was how they do all the right things and blah, blah, blah. Yet, they've played some of the most fundamentally unsound baseball in the playoffs this side of the Cubs.

Right call, but Aybar can't bunt for shit.

No way. You've got a guy at third with one out in the ninth inning of a tied game. You get that run in, you set yourself up to go home for a decisive game. Why try to squeeze against a guy who throws 97 MPH? Just get a damn fly ball.

Do the Sox have anyone past Lester, Dice-K, and Beckett? Or are they going with a three-man rotation?

All I heard about the Angels all season was how they do all the right things and blah, blah, blah. Yet, they've played some of the most fundamentally unsound baseball in the playoffs this side of the Cubs.

Because people have been running that story into the ground ever since the 2002 playoffs so why stop now?

Go Rays.

No way. You've got a guy at third with one out in the ninth inning of a tied game. You get that run in, you set yourself up to go home for a decisive game. Why try to squeeze against a guy who throws 97 MPH? Just get a damn fly ball.

Because all it takes is making contact. Aybar did some weird shit, jabbing at the ball instead of trying to make contact. Willits is fast enough that he would've scored. That pussy ass shit style of play you're calling for would have seen him pop out or some shit. I would definitely have taken my chances with the squeeze.

And I don't get your first few sentences. The squeeze is to get the run in.

I'll probably jinx it, but I think the Rays have a great shot at advancing to the World Series. Boston was neck-and-neck with the Angels, who played like morons the majority of the series. And I don't think much of the Sox rotation.

Man on second with no outs and 2 bunts is the play? Just let somebody try to hit the ball. Two groundouts can probably get you that run.

The infield was playing in. And Kendrick is garbage. He had to bunt.

I'll probably jinx it, but I think the Rays have a great shot at advancing to the World Series. Boston was neck-and-neck with the Angels, who played like morons the majority of the series. And I don't think much of the Sox rotation.

I agree with your first two sentences. I'm very perplexed by the third.

Because all it takes is making contact. Aybar did some weird shit, jabbing at the ball instead of trying to make contact. Willits is fast enough that he would've scored. That pussy ass shit style of play you're calling for would have seen him pop out or some shit. I would definitely have taken my chances with the squeeze.

And I don't get your first few sentences. The squeeze is to get the run in.

Yes, because the squeeze worked so well. I don't see how trying to make bunt contact with a guy who's throwing gas is easier than getting a fly ball. Even if you pop out, you've still got the guy at third and one more chance to get him in. Botch the squeeze and you have nobody on with two outs.

I agree with your first two sentences. I'm very perplexed by the third.

Lester's amazing. Dice-K is a five or six-inning pitcher. Beckett's the real X factor here. If his outing last night was just rust, then the Sox are in a good position. Who's their fourth starter?

Making contact isn't difficult to do especially when comparing it to getting a flyball. I think it's easier to bunt than hitting a flyball.