TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

2008 ALCS: Boston Red Sox vs. Tampa Bay Rays

Guest Vitamin X
Honestly, I find sporting events more enjoyable the less mainstream America is interested. How any football fan can sit through the Super Bowl is beyond me.

The 2002 Super Bowl must've been real exciting for you, then. And that scintillating match-up between the Falcons and Broncos a decade ago!

Ratings matter, but they won't be as bad as 2005, you guys.

Also, would more than one shit-for-brains be a group of shits-for-brains? It's like three Attorneys General, or two Whoppers Junior.

Wasn't ratings lower for the Cards/Tigers series? Or am I remembering wrong?

Ratings matter, but they won't be as bad as 2005, you guys.

Also, would more than one shit-for-brains be a group of shits-for-brains? It's like three Attorneys General, or two Whoppers Junior.

Wasn't ratings lower for the Cards/Tigers series? Or am I remembering wrong?

Yes, Cards/Tigers was the lowest rated Series ever, followed by Sox/Rox last year, then Sox/Astros.

Rays are just better, and they definitely want it more.

I don't even know what to thinbk about the Sox right now. Without Manny they just dont have that threat in the lineup anymore. Ortiz is nowhere near the hitter Manny is and was a product of Manny. The wrist and knee problems on top of that just make him completely worthless right now. Hopefully he recovers some in the off season, because if he can't get back to at least somewhat normal this team is in trouble.

The pitching is there as long as they get help in the bullpen because Delcarmen, Oki, and co just aren't getting it done between the starters and Papelbon. I almost wish Lowell would just hang it up and make room for Youk to move over to 3B full time so they can go after Texiera or something. It's never gonna happen and I love Lowell so meh.

They have enough young talent to keep competitive for a while so i'm not too concerned. I saw them win 2 WS titles so i'm good for a while. I'm actually happy for the Rays to be honest. They built the team the right way, and have arguably the best maneger in the game. I'll be rooting for them in the Series for sure.

I don't even know what to thinbk about the Sox right now. Without Manny they just dont have that threat in the lineup anymore. Ortiz is nowhere near the hitter Manny is and was a product of Manny. The wrist and knee problems on top of that just make him completely worthless right now. Hopefully he recovers some in the off season, because if he can't get back to at least somewhat normal this team is in trouble.

Thank you WEEI caller.

Look, Ortiz is hurt. He missed a good chunk of the season and he hasn't recovered. Maybe this is the start of a age-related decline, but we don't know yet. Calling him worthless is a severe overreaction.

Secondly, a product of Manny? Are you insane? Let's break this down.

#1. Every study well, ever, has shown that lineup protection is a myth. In the most extreme cases some players see a small drop in slugging and an increase in walks. The net effect of this, however, is neutral to an offense.

#2. If JD Drew, Kevin Youkilis, and Jason Bay aren't sufficient for lineup protection, then Papi must be a much worser player than I ever knew. Besides, Jason Bay had an OPS of .897 after the trade, compared to Manny's .927. There was almost no offensive drop off after the trade.

#3. Ortiz in the past (in a small sample size) has hit better without Manny in the lineup. There is no indication that he is a product of Manny whatsoever.

You think after winning two World Series titles in the past four years after waiting almost seven, eight decades? (I forget how long it was) for one title would allow Boston fans to be a little bit less critical of their team. You guys still have a good team regardless, and will probably contend next season.

You think after winning two World Series titles in the past four years after waiting almost seven, eigh decadest? (I forget how long it was) for one title would allow Boston fans to be a little bit less critical of their team. You guys still have a good team regardless, and will probably contend next season.

It's just Cartman. That's his gimmick.

The Rays were flat out better. I'm man enough to admit that. I don't think this is the critical end of the Red Sox as contenders, as some other fans are trying to claim. This team actually overachieved, all things considered. They were beaten down by injuries almost from day one (Schilling, Beckett, Drew, Papi) and had a lot of midseason stress with the whole Manny debacle.

They will need to tinker with a few things in the offseason, but what team doesn't?

Do you have a reading disability? I said he was worthless right now due to the lack of Manny and the injuries. Then I said hopefully he can recover in the offseason and be back to normal or at least close to it next season. I don't care about any studies about protection, when Ortiz says it's not the same then that's what i'm buying thanks. Even if it's just affecting Ortiz Mentally it's still a problem not having Manny there.

I'm not saying the team is screwed I just said the Rays are better right now and probably will be in 2009 as well. I'm also not saying that they should have kept Manny because that's ridiculous. So keep calling it my "gimmick" all you want and god forbid I make a post in a bit of frustration after watching my team get embarrassed at home.

EDIT: ...and yes in MY opinion Manny was the anchor of that lineup and Ortiz benefited from him greatly, as did everyone else. Ortiz was phenomenal no doubt, but I think without "protection" he gets exposed a bit.

My team's getting embarrassed at home too but you don't see me blaming the loss of Manny Ramirez on it.

The Red Sox overachieved, Tampa has brow-beaten them into submission now. A lack of healthy/quality starting pitching is what gets that done.

Ortiz can call lineup protection all he wants, it's a myth.

http://baseball1.com/bb-data/grabiner/protstudy.html

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/...-around-batters

http://www.retrosheet.org/Research/RuaneT/lineup_art.htm

I will be severely pissed if this is the third time in a row that Tampa Bay fucks over a Philadelphia team for a sports title. The Bucs in 2003 and the Lightning in 2004 and the Rays in 2008? No fucking thanks.

This should end up being a really entertaining World Series.

And at least Brewers fans can say that the team that beat them went on to the World Series, though I've never really followed that kind of thinking.