TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

2008 ALCS: Boston Red Sox vs. Tampa Bay Rays

Maybe Tampa Bay should have dropped the Devil from their names sooner. This is some Disney level fairy tale bullshit right now.

TBS has a contract with MLB. It's not like MLB can switch it to Fox.

Doesn't mean it's any less ridiculous for MLB to allow for games 6 and 7 (any whatever else games were here) to be broadcast on TBS.

Has baseball really fallen that far? I mean, they're only one step above Vs.

Who could have honestly called a World Series match up last year of Philadelphia and Tampa Bay.

Vegas odds on Tampa Bay at the start of the season going all the way was 150-1.

John Kruk on BTN spouting some nonsense how the Red Sox are now better for the future because they play small ball and don't rely on the 3 run homer anymore

Seems like we could have used a three run homer tonight.

Anyways, congrats to the Rays. They've had a great season and they did what was necessary to win tonight. Best of luck to them in the World Series.

What a great game. Game 3 and 4 weren't competitive, but all the rest were extremely close. A very well played game from both squads tonight, which is the least you can ask for in a Game 7. Even if the Sox were going to win, you'd like to see a close game. This series went a long way in cultivating the Red Sox/Rays into a true rivalry.

The best part of the night for me was a text from my lone Red Sox fan friend. This is the one who has jokingly mocked the failures of the Cubs over the years, while boasting of Boston's success. I was fearing another series of boasts from him if the Sox completed the comeback. I guess he assumed I was going to send a gloating text after the game, because I received one from him moments after the third out that read, "Shut up. Just shut your mouth."

Seeing the turnaround of the Rays gives me hope for my Reds next year.

Guest Smues
TBS has a contract with MLB. It's not like MLB can switch it to Fox.

Doesn't mean it's any less ridiculous for MLB to allow for games 6 and 7 (any whatever else games were here) to be broadcast on TBS.

Has baseball really fallen that far? I mean, they're only one step above Vs.

Doesn't the NBA have all their playoff games until the finals on TNT? No different.

Rays in 4 or 5 in the World Series. The Phillies have a shot with Hamels pitching, but after that, they're cooked.

At least they went down with some semblance of a fight. Well....not tonight since Garza was dealing, but at least it went the full 7. They need to throw whatever money they can at a guy like Texiera in the offseason since they need another big bat. They should be all right for next year since guys like Ortiz and Lowell will be healthy and Lester has emerged as a bonafide ace this year.

If this happened after 5 I'd have been more bummed, but I'm not.

For the record, I turned the game off after the 7th since the writing was on the wall.

Edited by KingPK

Yes! I was terrified that the Rays would fall in the Yankees and Indians footsteps and blow a 3-1 type lead to the Red Sox, but thankfully that didn't happen. I'll at least watch the World Series now...if Boston had actually made that comeback I doubt I would have watched a single game of it. In fact I think quite a few people agree with that.

The Rays have to win this thing now. They've got the home field, they've got the better overall starting rotation (though Hamels is a bit better than anyone they have). Besides, you can't beat the Red Sox and lose to the Phillies....that's like beating Russia and losing to Finland.

Besides, you can't beat the Red Sox and lose to the Phillies....that's like beating Russia and losing to Finland.

Come on.

Guest Smues

baker%202.jpg

Look at that smile, pure evil.

Besides, you can't beat the Red Sox and lose to the Phillies....that's like beating Russia and losing to Finland.

Come on.

Seconded. It's not smart to take what ESPN guys say about a team for three weeks to heart when you haven't seen them all season. The Rays are not leaps and bounds better than the Phillies and neither are the Red Sox.

I will say that I hope and pray that this is the last we see of Jason Varitek in a regular starting role. Unfortunately, the organization painted itself into a corner by adding ZERO depth behind him in favor of making the backup catcher Wakefield's lackey. The best they can do is sign a decent young catcher and Varitek to a one-year deal and platoon them.

Tropicana Field sure emptied out fast. I guess the fans want to get home before Monday afternoon if Smues' tales of horror told us anything.

I've followed the playoffs, but somehow managed to never hear of this 9=8 stuff until now. Huh?

It's some stupid shit about 9 players getting their team to one of the 8 playoff spots. It doesn't make much sense, really.

baker%202.jpg

Look at that smile, pure evil.

This reminds me: I just read an article about Juan Pierre's agent more or less requesting a trade for his client that would use him as a regular. Hmm, are there any teams out there without a center fielder, lead-off man and veteran presence? Thankfully that last part doesn't apply to the Cubs and they've already been burned by Mr. Pierre once, but I don't believe the Rev's team has yet had that honor.

After glancing at the members reading this thread, I eagerly await Edwin MacPhisto's annual baseball post.

I want to give BJ Upton one of his namesakes for giving Boston sports fans another kick in the dick.