TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWE To Now Exclusively Call Their Talent "Entertainers"

From PWInsider, via Lords of Pain:

WWE announcers were informed to refer to talent as "entertainers" instead of wrestlers or Superstars. The change was made to re-establish WWE as an entertainment-touring event instead of a sporting event. By doing so would take the power away from the Athletic Commissions in certain states and keep the company from having to pay taxes on their events.

From PWInsider, via Lords of Pain:

WWE announcers were informed to refer to talent as "entertainers" instead of wrestlers or Superstars. The change was made to re-establish WWE as an entertainment-touring event instead of a sporting event. By doing so would take the power away from the Athletic Commissions in certain states and keep the company from having to pay taxes on their events.

Boy, that sure looks familiar to the original post.

So what if it is? I've skimmed over the thread and skimmed over the initial post..with what seemed to be a bit of debate as to why it was happening, I saw the post at LoP and posted it here.

Anyways, I officially checked out of WWE fandom when they had Hornswoggle spray paint a tunnel on a locker room wall and had everyone act like he really ran though it. Bonus stupid points for Carlito actually trying to chase him through it and the tunnel magically not working for him.

I knew when I saw that, I was done. I just periodically watch now for curiosity to how bad it can get. WWE 24/7 only magnifies the frustration for what I see now.

So what if it is? I've skimmed over the thread and skimmed over the initial post..with what seemed to be a bit of debate as to why it was happening, I saw the post at LoP and posted it here.

Don't you think that in the initial post, the story you posted would've been mentioned? Come on now.

Anyways, I officially checked out of WWE fandom when they had Hornswoggle spray paint a tunnel on a locker room wall and had everyone act like he really ran though it. Bonus stupid points for Carlito actually trying to chase him through it and the tunnel magically not working for him.

That's pretty stupid. It was a silly skit designed to invoke a laugh, it meant nothing in the long or short run.

I just periodically watch now for curiosity to how bad it can get.

That's also pretty stupid. I thought WWE's done pretty well this year, and I really like how the RAW title scene has been for a long time, and that they're giving Y2J a chance to shine.

Hell, TNA give every episode an episode title.

That's far more ridiculous than what WWE is doing here, although I still think what WWE is doing is goofy also.

Let's not forget who one of their writers is now btw (if he even still works there, haven't heard his name in weeks now).

I laughed at the Hornswaggle skit, so I guess I should turn in my Smart Mark Card™ now, eh?

Back on-topic: I really don't give a crap what they call the wrestlers since I tend to tune out most of the announcers when I watch the TV shows or can't hear what they're saying when I watch the PPVs at Hooters, so meh... It's just not a big deal to me and if it really did affect my enjoyment of wrestling, or the WWE in particular, then I was probably already starting to hate it beforehand.

I'm amazed I haven't seen any really cynical cracks along lines of "Okay, they're called entertainers, so when do they actually start entertaining?"

I'm not sure there's ever been an opinion expressed in this world that Bob Barron didn't find disagreeable.

See, Bob? Dave and I tried to tell ya!

No, you said I present my opinions like they are facts.

The Esoteric Dunce is saying that I disagree with people's opinions.

I'm amazed I haven't seen any really cynical cracks along lines of "Okay, they're called entertainers, so when do they actually start entertaining?"

According to Meltzer, the term "sports entertainment" is now banned too in favor of just "entertainment."

If they wanted to go this route, they should get a ruling from court that they are nothing more than an entertainment company, and it is not an athletic event.

According to numerous sources, the decision is part of a organized plan of attack towards getting WWE as a company re-classified as an

entertainment touring event, as posed to a legitimate sporting event.

I think this is what they're trying to do, Dandy.

That wasn't what I meant. I meant behind the scenes without changing the on-screen product in a ridiculous manner. I didn't make it clear with the way I worded that.

And the guy that said it is going to sound ridiculous nailed why I think so badly of this move. It just makes the show seem stupid and hard to like. There is much better television all over the place, and I only watch out of habit because I have been watching it non-stop for 25 years. I am addicted to watching wrestling.

And the guy that said it is going to sound ridiculous nailed why I think so badly of this move. It just makes the show seem stupid and hard to like. There is much better television all over the place, and I only watch out of habit because I have been watching it non-stop for 25 years. I am addicted to watching wrestling.

Kami said before when someone referred to her as "he" that she's female. I wish people wouldn't leave their gender blank to avoid confusion.

Kami said before when someone referred to her as "he" that she's female. I wish people wouldn't leave their gender blank to avoid confusion.

Fixed now.

I must have missed the "it happened once so everyone should know about it" meeting. Also, I was replying from a page that was different than the page she made the post on and didn't remember who said it. I had a 99.7 percent chance of being correct when I said "the guy."

I must have missed the "it happened once so everyone should know about it" meeting. Also, I was replying from a page that was different than the page she made the post on and didn't remember who said it. I had a 99.7 percent chance of being correct when I said "the guy."

Oops. Sorry.

I love how the WWE is a wrestling company, that is embarrassed to be a wrestling company.

You're wrong on that though AntiLeaf. What Vince is trying to do is just find loopholes to avoid stupid rules from state athletic commissions and to also get away from certain taxes. It's actually quite smart of Vince to try and do this. By doing this, they can really escape a lot of fines a state athletic commission could give Vince and the WWE say if someone bled or if there was a cage match that the commission wouldn't have allowed to have happen. So when you really look it, it's probably one of the smartest things Vince has really done in a long time.

Besides that, I honestly don't think the term "Entertainer" will hold up to long. It might be used for say a year or two, but once WWE is able to establish themselves as a entertainment company, they'll be able to refer to wrestlers how ever they want to.

Does bob_barron work for WWE or something?

No, I just think people overreact and will find any excuse to bash WWE over something so small and petty.

Does bob_barron work for WWE or something?

No, I just think people overreact and will find any excuse to bash WWE over something so small and petty.

I agree, it's also the same deal in the TNA folder.

I love how the WWE is a wrestling company, that is embarrassed to be a wrestling company.

You're wrong on that though AntiLeaf. What Vince is trying to do is just find loopholes to avoid stupid rules from state athletic commissions and to also get away from certain taxes. It's actually quite smart of Vince to try and do this. By doing this, they can really escape a lot of fines a state athletic commission could give Vince and the WWE say if someone bled or if there was a cage match that the commission wouldn't have allowed to have happen. So when you really look it, it's probably one of the smartest things Vince has really done in a long time.

Besides that, I honestly don't think the term "Entertainer" will hold up to long. It might be used for say a year or two, but once WWE is able to establish themselves as a entertainment company, they'll be able to refer to wrestlers how ever they want to.

Yeah, that was kind of a bland statement. I can completely understand why he is trying to do all of these things. Honestly, wrestling isn't a sport as much as it is an exhibition. All performers know how the event is supposed to go, and how it will end. There are some injuries, and things that happen that aren't planned, but what live form of entertainment doesn't have unexpected slip ups?

I remember in 82, when Snuka came off the Cage. That was when wrasslin' was wrasslin' brother! They didn't call 'em entertainers then and they ought'nt call 'em that now neither. It just ain't the same as the olden days. Wrasslin's dead to me!

*chews on imaginary cigar, for some reason*

No harm, Silence.

Scroby, I agree with what you say, but I still think calling them entertainers is unnecessary. This could all be handled behind the scenes without using a term that is going to make commentary, promos, and pretty much the entire show sound weird and confusing and totally unbelievable. The fact that it is a scripted event down to the last detail should be enough. It is like any other show, but the parts they are playing is "wrestlers." Other shows do not refer to their charactors as actors. They are supposed to be portraying "real life characters," and this does not allow that.

"John Cena might be one of the greatest...entertainers of all-time, but when I step into that ring with him, I'm going to out-...uh...I'm going to kick his BUTT. No one can wr...uh...no one can...shit...uh...do what I do, as well as I can. I entertain very well...fuck it. This is ridiculous. I'll just wrestle in Japan."