TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

More Future Endeavours - Dykstra, Lena, Elijah

Kenny definitely was enjoyable in OVW. I quite enjoyed his feud with Brent Albright over the TV title as well as the slow burn with Lashley getting fed up with Bolin Services and challenging Doane. That said, how many people were exposed to that stuff, and how many people view him as a jobber from the Spirit Squad? Some guys can survive a cheesy gimmick, but an all time bad gimmick that was used as main event fodder? That's tough to overcome.

Kenny Dykstra is the kind of guy I actually WOULD like to see TNA pick up. He never got off the ground in WWE after the Spirit Squad so he could come in fresh and get over.

I'd rather them pick Burke up, but I don't honestly know if they'll grab either.

"First I would just like to say thank you to everyone who left a comment or message and for the support. It is greatly appreciated. Believe it or not i actually am happy to be gone from wwe. I dont have to do things around their schedule and i dont have to answer to anybody. i have never fealt so free in my entire life. i had been working with wwe since i was 16 so ive never really known anything else. i did have fun with wwe but the creative side never used me properly or really gave me an opportunity to get over. it sucks when you know your better than the majority and your only used to make people look good. will i stay wrestling? Im not sure. wwe kinda puts a bad taste in your mouth after all the politics and garbage that can go on. I may try to go to TNA but we will see. i have 90 days to think about it and possibly try. although i wont rule it out. I do feel like they could use me much better. I would also like to have some matches with guys like a.j. and kurt and joe and christian. plus sting has always been my favorite so to work with him would be great too. but i guess i will wait it out and see what direction i try to go in. as for wwe i am glad to be gone. i thank them for everything and wish them the best too. take care. Kenn Doane

(from Rajah as I don't have a myspace account)

What a crybaby. I wouldn't mind seeing a few ring vets kick the shit out of this kid.

"First I would just like to say thank you to everyone who left a comment or message and for the support. It is greatly appreciated. Believe it or not i actually am happy to be gone from wwe. I dont have to do things around their schedule and i dont have to answer to anybody. i have never fealt so free in my entire life. i had been working with wwe since i was 16 so ive never really known anything else. i did have fun with wwe but the creative side never used me properly or really gave me an opportunity to get over. it sucks when you know your better than the majority and your only used to make people look good. will i stay wrestling? Im not sure. wwe kinda puts a bad taste in your mouth after all the politics and garbage that can go on. I may try to go to TNA but we will see. i have 90 days to think about it and possibly try. although i wont rule it out. I do feel like they could use me much better. I would also like to have some matches with guys like a.j. and kurt and joe and christian. plus sting has always been my favorite so to work with him would be great too. but i guess i will wait it out and see what direction i try to go in. as for wwe i am glad to be gone. i thank them for everything and wish them the best too. take care. Kenn Doane

(from Rajah as I don't have a myspace account)

What a crybaby. I wouldn't mind seeing a few ring vets kick the shit out of this kid.

You're an idiot.

it sucks when you know your better than the majority and your only used to make people look good.

Better than the majority? Hah! Keep dreaming, kid.

Um, he has had matches with veterans, like the biggest veterans in the business. Flair, Dusty, Piper, HBK, HHH, Lawler, Big Show, Mysterio, Sgt. Slaughter, RVD, Kane, Hacksaw Duggan... okay, now I'm running out, but you get the point. Never got his head kicked in.

I'm not sure who you're talking to, Jingus, but if you mean he had the opportunity to get beaten up in response to my post, let me clarify. I mean the opportunity to make something out of himself. No one can sit here and tell me Ken Doane did not have potential.

Well, I'm not saying that I am surprised that everybody he has been in the ring with has been a total pro. But any young talent who hasn't drawn a dime who "knows that they are better than most" and isn't afraid to tell the entire locker room is just asking for it. That's just a breach of common sense, especially in that company.

I say this as a fan of the Spirit Squad and Ken in particular.

P.S. Disagree with me all you want, Porter, but there's no need for name calling.

Well, I'm not saying that I am surprised that everybody he has been in the ring with has been a total pro. But any young talent who hasn't drawn a dime who "knows that they are better than most" and isn't afraid to tell the entire locker room is just asking for it. That's just a breach of common sense, especially in that company.

I say this as a fan of the Spirit Squad and Ken in particular.

P.S. Disagree with me all you want, Porter, but there's no need for name calling.

Fair enough. I rescind the name calling. You are correct that he is "asking" for it with his attitude and so forth, but my point is we are living in the year 2008. One would think reducing getting shot on in the ring would be for the better. I'm not naive to think it never happens, but I do think it SHOULD NOT happen. If it exposes me as someone who isn't a professional wrestler, so be it, but I view it as a business, not a place to be having high school level bullshit.

...but I view it as a business, not a place to be having high school level bullshit.

If wrestling teaches us anything, it's that it's almost nothing but high school level bullshit.

And people in wrestling wonder why we're embarrassed to be fans for the most part OR want to get out to go be MMA fans or whatever where nothing like this bullshit happens.

FORMER WWE STAR REMOVES BLOG DUE TO MEDIA ATTENTION

by Mike Johnson

Ken Doane (aka former WWE star Kenny Dykstra) removed the MySpace.com blog he posted late yesterday noting he was happy about his WWE release due to the attention he was receiving online.

In it's place, Doane wrote, "I took down my past blog cause dirt sheets were making such a big deal about it. oh well, **** happens. wonder if they will put this one up on the site too."

Note from Mike: Well, Ken, it did here. When you respond on a public forum that you are happy you've been dropped from your WWE contract, it stands to reason it's going to be seen as a story by the wrestling media, especially when you speak out on "politics" of the company.

I have no problem with someone thinking they are the best and better than the majority. What's wrong with that? It never said he actually went around telling people that. If he didn't, I see no problem. If he did, he's an idiot.

WWE should do a pre-screen of their wrestlers to make sure they've never even heard of the internet. :P

"Internet, eh?"

"They have internet on computers now?"

WON had some good write-ups about the releases. I might summarize later. Creative kept pushing for Lena to have a surfer gimmick (her legit athletic background) but Vince would have none of it.

Doctor, doctor, give me the news! I've got a bad case of guys were fired blues!

Chuck Palumbo: Contract expired, no one expected it to be renewed since no one did a thing with him. Palumbo matched Johnny Ace's perception of what Vince wants a wrestler to look like, and Vince was a fan of the biker gimmick. It seemed they had something good with the Noble angle but it was all lost after an angle with Finlay (and to show how successful this angle must have been, I have no idea what angle Dave is even talking about). He gained an office label as a guy who would never get over. The Raw creative team must have felt this too since he was drafted there and never used. Rey tried to use his AAA connections to set him up with a job, but they're already turning away ROH regulars and it's currently unlikely you will see any foreigners take regular jobs there. He may wind up in CMLL though.

Paul London: He's been in the dog house for years, most recently for smiling during the 2007 draft when everyone was supposed to have a look of complete disdain, but there were also issues in 2005 (this aspect of 2005 isn't mentioned, but some may recall him briefly in the dog house for complaining about not being able to do certain aerial moves during his big CW champion push). After he lost the CW title (which again, I recall at the time the reports were that this happened because of his complaining) he was supposed to cut a heartfelt promo about the loss, but instead did his own goofy deal that the company hated (I guess this would explain why to Joe Viewer it seemed London turned heel by whining about a "March to Stamford", then never worked as a heel). Basically, he didn't like Dave Lagana's idea, but ignoring an order just to do your own bad idea isn't exactly a smart move. He has the rep of having no instincts as a 'performer' (not knowing how his character should do promos) but everyone knew he was great with ring ability. People feel his ability in the ring combined with an acting background and bilingual speaking abilities should have made him a money performer. London has also previously asked for time off due to burnout - this is allowed, but since this is wrestling, it isn't really, they just give you the time off then determine that since you had to ask for time off, they can't invest anything in you. One of his time off requests had him say he didn't know if pro wrestling was something to commit his life to, and obviously that's not something they want to hear either. Vince gave him time off anyway, but within a month of returning (and looking reinvigorated at first) it was felt his 'burnout' issues were already back and nothing had changed. When London and Kendrick were supposed to get a big push as a Rock and Roll Express type tag team they did a lot of pre-taped promos that never made it to air due to their poor quality. A direct quote from the article, "His relationship with Ashley Massaro was also seen as a negative for some reason with one person even saying it helped ruin him in the company. At one point they were going to do an angle based on Kendrick having the crush on Massaro, and then that was abruptly dropped. At another point, they were going to split London and Kendrick up, but that was also dropped. The Massaro thing got him negative heat in the locker room (don’t ask) and London had a reputation of being a headache to work with among the creative staff". Someone involved in the process has said London makes a great case system for the WWE system: a guy that was labelled as too small, but was given opportunities based on being 'talked about'. His feud with Billy Kidman in 2004 was intended to be a big break, but Vince soured on it when Kidman's heel work was weak and he didn't project a "killer indistinct" (that's a typo from WON and it made me laugh). London was also hurt before the No Mercy 2004 match, took time off after the match, then the angle was dead when he returned. Another direct quote just to make this easier, "He also never did things that others do to get ahead. While they had a lot of good matches on Smackdown, the London & Kendrick team never got over to the audience of one. They were moved to Raw and that’s when London did the smile thing and he never came up with an idea to make it up to Vince. Kendrick went to Vince at the end of last year, said he was frustrated and didn’t want to be seen in the same light as London, and showed passion to Vince. The feeling was by doing so, Kendrick showed Vince that he wanted it."

Lena Yada: She was stiff on both doing and conducting interviews and that's a bad start since that was what she was primarily hired for. They turned her heel (I was surprised to see her with the heel team on Raw, but from doing some F4W archive reading, she was apparently aligned with Layla in her feud with Kelly Kelly at the beginning of the year) and then forgot about her. She was never really in the running to be hired from the Diva Search pool but people lobbied to Vince and he gave in, but then showed no interest in any idea proposed to him about her (ex. taking advantage of her surfer background).

Kenn Dykstra: People were raving about him for years (since he was 14). Cornette always compared him to Randy Orton in OVW. All of this high praise seemed to give him a big head and he tended to rub people the wrong way (he was often the victim of pranks because of this, in an attempt to show him he was being too cocky). He was known for constantly acting goofy and getting noticed for negative things, including a high school like attitude when his relationship with Mickie James ended. Michael Hayes didn't like him, so his move to SmackDown in 2007 was pretty much the end of him.

Elijah Burke: "Small attitude issues". Everyone thought he had the tools to be a money player and no one understood why his push vanished at the end of the New Breed angle. He was supposed to move to Raw when Benjamin moved to SmackDown, but Brian Gewirtz didn't want him so they just did nothing with him. This was especially surprising when you consider this happened during a time when WWE was supposed to be pushing black wrestlers.

All of the cuts are part of the company's current cost cutting measures.

Chuck Palumbo: It seemed they had something good with the Noble angle but it was all lost after an angle with Finlay (and to show how successful this angle must have been, I have no idea what angle Dave is even talking about).

They had a short feud on Smackdown, about three weeks worth. Hornswaggle cost him a match against Finlay by spraying him with the green mist, then they had a Belfast Brawl which Finlay won. Palumbo's days were numbered after that.

This was right after the equalling forgettable Punk/Palumbo feud.

Thanks for the write-up, Venk.

He gained an office label as a guy who would never get over. The Raw creative team must have felt this too since he was drafted there and never used.

Which is funny, because he was getting over as a face when he first started doing the biker gimmick. I thought it was odd they tried to turn him heel in the Noble feud. Although it was a fun feud, and they could have done more, I don't know why they didn't just run with him as a face.