TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chazz

WWE Raw; 11-24-08

I was thinking the same thing last night. Unless he's outgrown them or something, why does he only use the bodysuit and wig? That was a pretty sweet suplex->neckbreaker that he used on Santino last night, though.

Man good thing the internet didn't exist back in the 80s... there would be nothing but Hogan bitching, how people can't believe Jake Roberts just fucked up again, etc.

The internet didn't exist during the 80's? Are you sure?

There is a big difference between the 80's and today. Back then it was a different feeling.

Yeah and back then they didn't give us overkill with useless ppv and tv shows either :headbang:

I actually think Cena winning was more 90's attitude era. Book opposite what everyone thinks. Come on, how many people thought the wwe was going to draw out Cena's title win for down the line at Mania or something. You know the hometown hero losing in his home place started at Survivor Series 1997. A decade later reverse the finish.

Did anybody noticed, in the triple threat, it was so clear to me (Loud enough) that when Orton was about to whip Bautista towards the ropes, he said "Reverse to Spinebuster" and that's what happen. It was sooo freakin clear that I heard it and I have selective hearing.

I heard it too. I found it pretty entertaining actually...the screw ups in wrestling can be more fun than the actual wrestling itself.

Man good thing the internet didn't exist back in the 80s... there would be nothing but Hogan bitching, how people can't believe Jake Roberts just fucked up again, etc.

The internet didn't exist during the 80's? Are you sure?

There is a big difference between the 80's and today. Back then it was a different feeling.

Yeah and back then they didn't give us overkill with useless ppv and tv shows either :headbang:

I actually think Cena winning was more 90's attitude era. Book opposite what everyone thinks. Come on, how many people thought the wwe was going to draw out Cena's title win for down the line at Mania or something. You know the hometown hero losing in his home place started at Survivor Series 1997. A decade later reverse the finish.

True, but as soon as we saw that video package of Cena right before the main event we knew he was taking the title.

PS - I really hope they don't do anything to "Cena-ize" the WHC belt!

I watched Raw this morning (after trying to avoid the fact it was on TV where I was having dinner last night) and it sounds like I'm the minority (Alvarez referred to it was 'wretched') but I enjoyed the show. Maybe I just enjoyed HBK misnaming video game systems too much.

The show was really good last night. It had a great opening, and a great finish. You also had a PPV match (Jericho/Batista/Orton), and yeah HBK with the PS 475, WHY Box, and Wii3 4000.

Cena's promo was great, but the beatdown on Jericho took way too long.

Agreed. Everybody whining about Cena's promo sucking needs to wake up and get a freaking clue.

Jericho's been insulting the fans for months. Cena's been portrayed as the 'everyman' character. It's natural booking. Above all it's successful booking. Enough with the "he's a Hogan wannabee" BS. Hogan and Austin were the top two drawing babyfaces of the modern era. Hogan was booked as a man of the people and so was Austin. Why the hell would they NOT do that promo and go that direction with Cena!? Cena got at least a 95% postive reaction this week, which is a good thing and he cut a really strong promo without resorting to any goofy catchphrases. People were chanting Cena's name during the first segment, before the opening tag match and at least one other point during the night which I forget but was way before he was supposed to come out. Stop deluding yourself people.

Not to name names, but...

It's nauseating how much of a suck-up he is to the fans. I know that he really feels that way and that his passion for the business is real, but using that to get more popular is unbelievable annoying

John Cena sucking up to the fans like that pisses me off so much. I hope he gets injured again really soon. I liked him when he would do his comical rap routine but now he is just an ass kisser.

...SO much stupid I can't even begin to describe it.

On a lighter note, Regal's double-take after Lawler's "piece of crumpet" line was one of the greatest things ever.

He's now officially 'back'.

Cena's promo was great, but the beatdown on Jericho took way too long.

Agreed. Everybody whining about Cena's promo sucking needs to wake up and get a freaking clue.

Jericho's been insulting the fans for months. Cena's been portrayed as the 'everyman' character. It's natural booking. Above all it's successful booking. Enough with the "he's a Hogan wannabee" BS. Hogan and Austin were the top two drawing babyfaces of the modern era. Hogan was booked as a man of the people and so was Austin. Why the hell would they NOT do that promo and go that direction with Cena!? Cena got at least a 95% postive reaction this week, which is a good thing and he cut a really strong promo without resorting to any goofy catchphrases. People were chanting Cena's name during the first segment, before the opening tag match and at least one other point during the night which I forget but was way before he was supposed to come out. Stop deluding yourself people.

Not to name names, but...

It's nauseating how much of a suck-up he is to the fans. I know that he really feels that way and that his passion for the business is real, but using that to get more popular is unbelievable annoying

John Cena sucking up to the fans like that pisses me off so much. I hope he gets injured again really soon. I liked him when he would do his comical rap routine but now he is just an ass kisser.

...SO much stupid I can't even begin to describe it.

On a lighter note, Regal's double-take after Lawler's "piece of crumpet" line was one of the greatest things ever.

He's now officially 'back'.

Nothing I said was stupid. I said that Cena nauseates ME. He annoys ME. I didn't claim that everyone hates him. But I, personally, can't stand him when he talks. He's good to great in the ring, but almost unbearable on the mic nowadays.

I didn't watch wrestling in the 80's so I can't speak on Hogan, but comparing Austin to Cena is the only stupid thing I see above. Sure, Austin was supposed to be an everyman, but he didn't come out every week and talk about how everything he did was for the fans.

Nothing I said was stupid. I said that Cena nauseates ME. He annoys ME. I didn't claim that everyone hates him. But I, personally, can't stand him when he talks. He's good to great in the ring, but almost unbearable on the mic nowadays.

No, you said,

"It's nauseating how much of a suck-up he is to the fans. I know that he really feels that way and that his passion for the business is real, but using that to get more popular is unbelievable annoying"

It's the second line that's the stupid. Basically, you're saying you're nauseated by his genuine feelings. And that the fact those feelings might be reciprocated if he expressed them is unbelievably annoying. So, basically, even though Cena genuinely likes the fans and they might respect that, you believe he should not play to the fans because it might make him popular.

You realise him 'sucking-up to the fans' on Raw is just him being himself, with the volume turned up (which I think is a Cornette saying.), which is the basis of all great wrestling characters, no?

It's a lost cause. The Cena haters are never really going to set aside their personal feelings when speaking of him. They always seem to classify themselves as the majority, therefore they have acquired the ability to speak in broad terms, as opposed as speaking as pertaining to self. I just skim past, seems to work pretty well.

Regal's commentary was awesome. Arrogant but classy, and he established Punk as a serious threat. William Regal with the flu is my new favorite gimmick.

Agreed.

People are still hating on Cena?

Morons.

Yes, how dare people dislike a wrestler that doesn't entertain them. Don't they know he draws money?

I made my peace with the fact that the John Cena I liked 'died' a long time ago and that the current incarnation is good for business for WWE. That doesn't mean that I have to like it, though. I spent about 3 hours on Youtube last night just watching old Cena promos and the man was awesome. It's too bad that he had to lose a large amount of what made him unique in order to be as successful as he's been, but sometimes that's just the way it goes. As far as his wrestling goes, it's a lot less impactful than before (he was never a 'technical' wrestler so anyone expecting him to be so is unrealistic) and kind of sloppy. Admittedly, I'm basing this on his Raw matches since I haven't ordered a non-WM PPV since late 2006, so maybe he steps it up for PPV. (Also, after the Benoit thing I just stopped watching WWE completely for about 2 months or so.)

I no longer like the John Cena character, but I know that a lot of people still do. So, as long as I'm still able to see the wrestlers I enjoy, I won't get too upset over it. Still, it's sad to see him be a shell of himself nowawdays.

It's not necessarily that they hate Cena that makes them morons. It's the fact that when they detail reasons for why they hate Cena, they are usually false or too personal to apply to the whole fanbase. It's also because some of them (goldengreek for one) assume that because they don't like Cena, nobody else does.

It's not necessarily that they hate Cena that makes them morons. It's the fact that when they detail reasons for why they hate Cena, they are usually false or too personal to apply to the whole fanbase. It's also because some of them (goldengreek for one) assume that because they don't like Cena, nobody else does.

That doesn't really annoy me that much because I just assume when people talk like that they are really speaking for themselves...even if they think otherwise. The argument about whether or not Cena was over WAS pretty moronic, however. That actually made me chuckle a little bit.

I'm quite late with this but it slipped my mind until some random reminder of it right now.

I was amused when Jericho referred to the people as "sycophants" and Michael Cole became outraged that Jericho "called the fans sickos".