TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

Walmart clerk trampled to death

From Associated Press:

NEW YORK — Police say a worker at a Wal-Mart store in Long Island, New York, has died after being trampled by a throng of unruly shoppers.

Officials say several other people were injured in the incident.

It occurred shortly after the store opened at 5 a.m. on so-called Black Friday, the traditional start of the holiday sales rush in the United States.

Nassau County police say the 34-year-old worker was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m.

The exact cause of death has yet to be determined.

Police also say a 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation and three other shoppers suffered minor injuries and were also taken to hospitals.

A police statement said shortly after 5 a.m., a throng of shoppers “physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground.”

Officials at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., refused to confirm the reports of a stampede, but said a “medical emergency” had caused the company to close the store, which is in Valley Stream on Long Island.

“Local authorities are looking into the situation,” said Wal-Mart representative Dan Fogleman.

He said it would be “inappropriate for me to share any additional information” until authorities investigate further.

Shoppers around the United States lined up early outside stores in the annual bargain hunting ritual known as Black Friday.

Many stores open early and stay open late. The Valley Stream Wal-Mart usually opens at 9 a.m.

They can't even wait five goddamn minutes to get a $30 copy of Madden 09? Society's going to hell.

I just saw this posted at Yahoo and I knew it would already have been posted here too.

That's a really sad state of affairs if it's becoming common place for people to get so unruly that they would risk harming themselves and others just to save a couple of dollars. I guess I should be grateful I survived my morning opening at Best Buy.

If the guy had dedicated himself to pushing those shopping carts a little harder and a little longer each day, he could have fought off that throng of unruly *Walmart shoppers. It's sad, is what it is.

Guest Smues

Well obviously getting a Blueray player for $200 is worth a man's life. What a joke. Once this mess is sorted out and charges are pressed I just can't wait to see what the defense strategy is. HE HAD IT COMING!

Guest Smues

I've always said that I don't hate Walmart, I hate most Walmart customers. This just adds to that.

Damn. That's a bit fucked up. How do you not take notice of the lumpy thing you just stomped all over was, in fact, a human?

You can't stop. Once the crowd begins to move, and you try to stop, you're going to get taken down as well.

It is a shame their final moments were at a Wal-Mart.

Dont you just love my city? This is why I rather stay up on Thanksgiving and go online shopping, because I'm bound to knock a motherfucker out for trying to push me. This is so fuckin sad but it's not the first time. Black Friday is one of the most dangerous day in America because people are so fuckin inpatient and cheap that it cost a person's life. Fuck that shit, online shoppin is the best way to go, I dont care if I spent an extra 50 dollars, it's better than knocking a motherfucer out and spending a day in jail, and pay for damanges, court fees and the whole fuckin thing.

I love my city, but motherfuckers needs to get knocked the fuck out.

I'd pack a piece if I was the one charged with opening the doors on Black Friday. *Holds up gun* "Everybody, file in orderly fashion or you WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT."

I was thinking the same thing. Like Phil Ken Sebben did when there was a bunch of Harvey Birdmans.

This seems to be the popular topic from yesterday on every single message board I go to, followed by some hand wringing about how our "society has deteriorated into this madness."

Our society used to sell people to each other as slave labor and force children to work 16 hours a day around dangerous machines at the risk of their own lives. This is actually a step up.

This reminds me of my time in line at the Target for my Nintendo. I got there like, #23 and they only had 25 to give out and I had to practically fend off people for about a half an hour to keep my spot til they handed out tickets.