TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - December 2008

According to Prowrestling.net, Raw's rating from this past Monday was 3.4, up from 3.3 the previous week. Looks like Cena's return, as well as a shitty MNF matchup were probably big contributors to that number.

If this continues, I think this effectively ends all the Cena bashers' argument that people don't like Cena. I mean, it's one thing to go to shows to boo Cena (if they still do that) but it's another to tune in Raw on TV to watch Cena.

There are people that still boo Cena. It's a little hard to hear through the high pitched screams of women and children, but you still hear boos mixed in there. I may be a "Cena Basher", but I will be the first to admit the guy has a rabid fan base. He's just not someone I personally enjoy watching. The guy's dedication to wrestling is second to none though, and I will give credit where it's due.

I'd say Cena right now is a perfect example of a mixed reaction. He seems a little more liked now than he did before he went away last time, but there are certainly still people in arenas who boo and boo loud.

I haven't watched Raw since Jericho lost the belt, because Cena returning to be the superface doesn't interest me, so I wondered about his reception. But the ratings are hard to deny. Cena does bring eyes to the TV.

I believe he addressed this on one of the first episodes of the original Tough Enough series. One of the trainees, Kenny I think, asked about the Liontamer, so Jericho put him in it. After letting the guy experience a little "discomfort" for a few minutes, Jericho asked "how would he like to be in this position after wrestling a 15-20 minute match", or something to that effect. The guy said he understood completely.

Are they building to Finlay wacking his midget, and going heel? I think I read too much into the end of the RAW match.

I was getting that same vibe after that match too.

You know... I think WWE has full potential to make Cena the most interesting character they have and they so could have gone down this point after his feud with Edge. If you really want him to be like Hogan today, give him some heels that would have fit in perfectly during the Attitude era. It's real simple. They're angry that Cena's brand of non-conformity doesn't fit in line with theirs, and his is a much more friendly image... even though he's being himself. He just needs guys who wanna make his life a living hell in a Jake Roberts fashion, and they've almost gotten that down perfectly during his feuds with Edge and Orton.

I know it's a fresh idea, but it's one that shouldn't be hard to write out... ah, who am I kidding? This writing team would take something as easy as this and completely botch it missing the whole point by a mile.

KOAB, I think that is exactly what they've been doing, and I think that's why he mostly gets booed by the older crowd.

Cena isn't an edgy wrestler, like Orton, Edge, Jericho, Angle, or even DX. So when he feuds with them guys, the crowd splits, because those guys are still products of an era where anything goes, while Cena is ushering a era of being a genuine good guy, and the older crowd hates that. While kids and women love it, which probably why his reaction is so different than anything we've seen in wrestling.

Jericho would have fit in perfectly in the attitude era, and most of his fans are people that remember from back then. They don't care that Jericho calls them idiots, long as he beats Cena ass, they couldn't care less about Cena defending them, and as a matter of fact they don't want Cena to defend them. These are the fans still hoping, for a return to the "Attitude Era", totally ignoring that it has been phased out for the last 2 years, but WWE still manipulates the crowd in to believing, that it can one day return to that style. The reality of the whole thing is they have no plans on ever going back that route, and they shouldn't.

I find it somewhat comical, that Jericho’s current character is probably WWE’s clever way of calling the older fans out for being assholes to Cena. John is a good human being; nevertheless people hate him, because he doesn’t fit in with their idea of traditionalism. They will cheer the most obnoxious assholes, like Edge, Orton, and Jericho because those are the guys they came up watching, and that’s what they think a wrestler should be, an obnoxious asshole.

This is good, which is why Austin was so big in the first place. He was what Bret Hart wasn't. Once the good guy era is in full effect, a big star who is totally different will rise and help lead a new era. It only makes sense. You have Hogan - nice guy, Austin - badass, Cena - nice guy, ???? - badass.

KOAB, I think that is exactly what they've been doing, and I think that's why he mostly gets booed by the older crowd.

Cena isn't an edgy wrestler, like Orton, Edge, Jericho, Angle, or even DX. So when he feuds with them guys, the crowd splits, because those guys are still products of an era where anything goes, while Cena is ushering a era of being a genuine good guy, and the older crowd hates that. While kids and women love it, which probably why his reaction is so different than anything we've seen in wrestling.

Please define "older crowd" for the purposes of this exercise. I'm not exactly "rabid" about Cena, but I like the guy; in fact, he's my favorite male wrestler on the roster right now. Speaking only for myself, I'm not a big fan of "edgy" characters, and didn't particularly care much for the Attitude era. If the kids that grew up in the Attitude era constitute the "older crowd," then what am I? I demand classification! :huh:

Please define "older crowd" for the purposes of this exercise. I'm not exactly "rabid" about Cena, but I like the guy; in fact, he's my favorite male wrestler on the roster right now. Speaking only for myself, I'm not a big fan of "edgy" characters, and didn't particularly care much for the Attitude era. If the kids that grew up in the Attitude era constitute the "older crowd," then what am I? I demand classification! :huh:

I totally agree with you, Cena is my favorite wrestler, and I didn't really care for the attitude era, the 98-99 seasons anyway. I'm just saying most older fans are not like us. They hate Cena, because he's not Austin and Rock.

Yes I know, but I just wish there was someone else other than Edge and Orton who could come along and take it to the next level.

You may have noticed that WWE has been conducting double Smackdown tapings on various Tuesday nights, except when it is not possible due to scheduling. Look for that trend to continue, at least until Wrestlemania, reports the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. At that point, WWE will evaluate the situation. The plan is to continue to tape ECW on Monday nights along with the live Raw show until February.

Eliminating one taping saves WWE almost $700,000 in production expenses, and is likely to be apart of WWE's plan to cut $20 million in expenses from the budget.

If it cuts $700,000 per taping, they would almost be at $20M cut just by cutting out every other taping. Solid strategy if those numbers are correct.

I'm sick of this line of thought that the "attitude era" was sooo long ago that only the "older crowd" would remember it. That era ended.. what? 2-3 years ago? It's not exactly an entire generation ago that it happened.

I consider it to have ended at Mania 17, which would place it about 7 years ago, which still makes the point valid, but hardly that recent. After all, it only took about 7 years for the WWF fans to tire of the Hogan era.

Have they decided on a name for Randy Orton's stable? And is Jericho going to be in that stable?

atecyz8.jpg

Jericho as a waiter?

Jericho:"I'm going to serve Cena up on a silver platter."

Have they decided on a name for Randy Orton's stable? And is Jericho going to be in that stable?

atecyz8.jpg

Jericho as a waiter?

Jericho:"I'm going to serve Cena up on a silver platter."

LOL

He was wearing that when he attacked Cena on RAW. He had the Jacket over it for most of the show but he took the jacket off durring the beatdown..I think he should have left it on.

I gave it a chance, but I'm really not digging Jericho's constant suited appearance or his new, skimpy wrestling gear. The haircut was enough of a change. The rest doesn't really matter that much to his character.

You can't cut the promos he's been cutting while wearing a shiny vest. The suit makes perfect sense.

I didn't say I liked the shiny vest. I thought that looked stupid too.