TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Thread - December

Two things of note happened today at work:

1) I sold a TV and warranty to an older couple. They asked me if the price was negotiable, since they "wanted to get it home in time to watch the hockey game". I said it hinged on what team they cheered for. They asked me who I liked, but I didn't answer right away. After five or ten minutes of legitimate television discussion, they agreed to take it with the warranty, so I gave them $100 bucks off. They then said they were Rangers fans, because their son was assistant coach Mike Pelino.

2) About five minutes later, a retard walked by. He was wearing a Habs t shirt and tuque.

My trip to Vancouver was amazing. Best two days of my life, even met Henrik Sedin!

It was funny how in New York, you wouldn't know who Mats Sundin is.

In Vancouver, if Mats Sundin blinked, it was front page news

solid game by the habs last night. Nice to see the team to play physical for a change. On the Leafs/Bruins game, the Bruins defence was poor, but they took the advantage of playing against the marlies by scoring eight goals. Tim Thomas looked like the Thomas of old by letting in a few soft goals. The Bruins are finally playing the game of hockey by skating very well with and without the puck.

The Kings practically doubled the Sabres' shot total but lost 5-0. Fucking Jason LaBarbera. Jonathan Quick played in his first game this season. I really hope Ersberg's groin heals quickly.

I have never seen the Senators play this bad in my 12 years of following the team. They just cannot score goals. Hartsburg's talking about scratching Spezza if he doesn't play harder, that's how bad things have gotten.

I find it amusing that over on the HFBoards (the biggest bunch of puss hockey fans on the planet) that they are somehow defending Crosby punching a guy who was already tied up with someone in the back of the head and the taint.

Doesn't surprise me. I was reading through two pages of that thread and I had to stop. It was funny that someone had to bring Ovechkin into the discussion for no reason at all. And Pitt fans still think Crosby/Malkin are the two best players in hockey? Seriously, they don't even come close to Ovechkin.

Funny tidbit in the Flyers/Caps game. Everyone threw their hats on the ice after Scott Hartnell scored his 2nd goal of the game because everyone including myself thought Jeff Carter scored his 3rd of the game. Hartnell's stick knocked Carter's out of the way as he scored.

EDIT: While trying to set up Carter on the rush for the hat trick, the Flyers score as Scott Hartnell gets the hat trick and Carter still is hatrickless for his career. This comes minutes after Carter is stoned on a breakway by Jose Theodore.

The Kings practically doubled the Sabres' shot total but lost 5-0. Fucking Jason LaBarbera. Jonathan Quick played in his first game this season. I really hope Ersberg's groin heals quickly.

You had the misfortune of catching the one game a month that Ryan Miller plays like an elite player. Now that that's out of the way for December...I expect Montreal to beat him early and often tonight.

Guest Czecherbear

Man, in the spirit of vintage Kingofthe909, the L.A. Kings can suck my dick. What good does it do for the Hawks to win seven in a row if the Wings won't lose either? They almost had it, too. Fuckin' Wings. At any rate, it looks like both teams are going to come into the Winter Classic looking pretty strong, more so than the Penguins and Sabres did last year. However, I'm really worried that this thing is gonna be a flop. The sightlines are awful, and I have this bad feeling that we're gonna have one of those fluke 60-degree New Year's Days that we've had a few of lately. It would be another typical John McDonough production for the hype to be overwhelming and the actual result to flat-out suck.

It's gonna be like -2 for the possibly meaningless Packers-Bears game on Monday night, though. OH GOOD.

It's weird seeing the Blackhawks play so well. I thought the Nucks would steamroll over them given it was the second night of a back to back, but I guess not. Luongo needs to come back at this point, Curtis Sanford is fine, but it's not working long term.

Wings looked good last night, OUTSIDE of giving up goals the second they got one themselves. But they seemed to be in the Kings side of the ice the entire game. Even when they were down near the end of the game I wasn't worried about them losing.

Awesome game, even though some douche nozzle stood up RIGHT in front of me as the second Wings goal was scored

This is a post on the Habs General Discussion board on their website...

Talking of something wrong, the piracy has to come from within the NHL itself because we're not the only ones getting robbed by pure piracy after building comfortable leads: the Red Wings, the Flames and Roberto Luongo are getting pushed away by votes for Blackhawks and Ducks players.

After I voted for almost 2 hours, I looked at the leaders... Sadly, Kane, Getzlaf and Toews are pushing away Hossa, Datsyuk, Iginla and Zetterberg. On defense, Niedermayer and Pronger pushed away Phaneuf in no time (he was in a comfortable position just 10 days ago). In goals, Luongo is almost caught up by Giguère now.

If we look at this, we have Pittsburgh, Chicago and Anaheim. What these 3 teams have in common? They have good players, they are "small markets" (Chicago was a big one but shrank over the years until recently), but also the NHL is clearly trying to sell the game to the Americans with them rather than with teams with tradition, class and history such as Detroit and us.

IMHO, this is not just cheating, it's blatant favoritism PLUS cheating from the inside with orders from the inside. If the phenomenon was limited to Pittsburgh, we could say there's piracy from only one set of fans. However with a problem involving 3 teams, there should be no coincidence at all.

I hope somebody will jump to Bettman's face someday and tell him about no one giving a [damn] about selling the game to small US markets. THE GAME BELONGS TO THE NORTH!

So, the fans are mad because other teams' fans got an idea of what they were doing, so they did it themselves. And somehow, when the tables are turned, makes everyone else evil. Gotta love it.