TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

NFL Week 16

Ward averaged over 14 yards a carry for the game and it wasn't really even due to just one or two big runs.

I didn't care who won the game, but I thought it would have been awesome if Jacobs went Jerome Bettis from the 1 yard line there after the Giants decided not to kick the easy field goal to win it.

Well today sucked. I don't think I predicted any game correctly.

Fucking Eagles had to go and lose again. I hate that they do this. They are fucking embarrassing early in the season against some bad teams and you think "Wow this team is horrible, at least we'll get a top 10 draft pick". But then they go and run off a few wins and you're suddenly like "We're getting hot! Maybe we'll make some noise in the playoffs!" Then they fuck it up and it's suddenly like "Well not only did you just miss out on the playoffs but you won't be getting a high draft pick either. Welcome to mediocrity Eagles!" Fuck.

If the Romo's win next week do they go to the playoffs? That'd be even worse, the Eagles lose and the Cowgirls make it to the playoffs at their expense. Ugh.

And what was up with Adrian Peterson? He turned into his college running mate Alan Patrick and decided to fumble every 5 snaps.

I don't know how the Giants pulled that one out, but it was nice to see Mr. Playmaker get shut out after halftime. I'm sure we'll rest most of the starters next week giving Minnesota their division, but I honestly don't care at this point. I would love for Philly to win next week and give us a crack at either Arizona, Atlanta or Tampa Bay in our first playoff game.

Time to check the predictions for this penultimate week of football:

Thursday

INDY @ JAX: There is absolutely no excuse for the Colts to not go down to Jacksonville and get this win. It will be tough as it tends to be in the Colts/Jags rivalry, but the Colts are playing to get into the playoffs. Indy by 7. (Nailed this one exactly. 1 for 1)

Saturday

RAVENS @ COWBOYS: Poor Baltimore, they had that tough loss to the Steelers and now have to turn around and play at Dallas. Basically an elimination game of sorts. Dallas by 4. (Congrats to the Ravens, though Sunday would show that the Cowboys still have life. 1 for 2)

Sunday

SF @ STL: There are plenty of fun games this weekend, this is not one of them. The Rams are awful, Niners have improved, so I'll take SF by 10. (Rams somehow found a way to lose one that they had in the bag. 2 for 3)

PIT @ TEN: I've been skeptical of the Steelers but the Titans are hurting a bit with Haynesworth out most likely so I think the Steelers will go on the road and secure home field. Steelers by 5. (Wow, Titans flat out sent a message in this one. 2 for 4)

CIN @ CLE: Wow, crappy game #2. Bengals at least are down to a 2nd stringer and not a 3rd stringer, so I'll say Cincy by 7. (Possibly the worst game ever. 3 for 5)

NO @ DET: Well, the Saints do suck on the road and the Lions can bring it at times. Ah who am I kidding? Brees isn't going to lose to these scrubs. New Orleans by 9. (Brees certainly did not lose to the scrubs. 4 for 6)

MIA @ KC: This is like a mirror universe game, with the Chiefs always finding ways to lose and the Dolphins usually find a way to win. I'll go out on a limb and say the Chiefs pull an upset here by 3. (I keep picking for the Chiefs and against Miami...neither pick works all that well. 4 for 7)

ARI @ NE: This could be a fun shootout, or it could be the Cardinals phoning it in again on the east coast. I vote for the latter. Pats by 14. (One of these teams will make the playoffs, and it's the one that lost by 40. Bleh. 5 for 8)

SD @ TB: The Chargers still have some slight hopes of making the playoffs. Can't see them having any after this one. Tampa badly needs this win at home. Bucs by 10. (SD is starting to come to life and coupled with the next game here creates an interesting finale. 5 for 9)

BUF @ DEN: Denver is a baffling team but the Bills are totally out of it now and the Broncos have no excuse not to win here. Broncos by 6. (The Broncos just suck and I don't like their chances at this point. I've thought all year that a team with a negative differential would have trouble making the playoffs, so really if SD beats them next week it's the universe righting itself. 5 for 10)

HOU @ OAK: Feel the power of the mighty Texans! Houston has managed to sneak up to .500 and a win here would assure them of an 8-8 finish. Texans by 12. (I think the Texans might have been a little full of themselves after the TN win. Ugh. 5 for 11)

NYJ @ SEA: Okay this is a curious game. Seattle plays people tough at home and the Jets seem to suck on the west coast big time. But with it all on the line the Jets have to win this game, and I'll take NY to win it here. Jets by 2. (I really thought about picking upset here but thought the Jets might finally be men on the road. They weren't. 5 for 12)

PHI @ WAS: The Redskins look to be flat out done and the Eagles are starting to get on a roll. So why is it I think the Redskins muster up some futile last ditch effort? Eh...not happening. Philly by 7. (Here's another one where I thought about picking the underdog but didn't at the last second. Eagles are actually not 100% done though, but it would take beating Dallas and Tampa losing to the Raiders for them to make it. 5 for 13)

ATL @ MIN: Oh, man. The Falcons need this one big time. Vikings need this one big time. I bet they will start Tavaris Jackson and he'll revert back to mediocre form, and the Falcons find a way to win it. Falcons in OT by 3, much like in a more famous game in Jan. 1999. (Wasn't in OT like the NFC title game classic, but the Falcons did clinch a playoff spot. 6 for 14)

CAR @ NYG: Giants are struggling but Carolina has yet to prove they can beat anyone of note on the road. Undefeated at home, .500 type team on the road. Giants by 9 to secure home field. (This one WAS an OT classic, probably the best game of the year with Ravens/Steelers I being #2. 7 for 15)

Horrible week of predictions, and what's weird is most of them weren't even crazy picks. It was just a crazy week of upsets and unexpected results.

If the Romo's win next week do they go to the playoffs?

Yes.

The Eagles will need to win and have the Bears and the Bucs to lose to make the playoffs. It's entirely possible that both the Bears and the Vikings get into the playoffs I do believe. If the Bears win this week and next and the Bucs and Cowboys go down, the Vikings (with a win) and the Bears would be in while Dallas, Philly and Tampa would be dead out. Least I think that's right for the Bears now that the Eagles took a dump on the bed this week.

I guess Tampa gets in with a win and Cowboys loss. The Vikings need to win to be in, it's pretty simple for them.

On the AFC side, the Ravens need to win.

AFC East is simple, the Jets need the Patriots to lose and a win over the Dolphins to grab it. Pats need a Jets win and a win of their own and the Dolphins just need to win. Patriots apparently get the wild card if the Ravens lose and they win. A win by the Ravens and Patriots means all the Jets can do is spoil the Dolphins hopes and drag the fins down with them.

I really have no idea who holds the tiebreaker between the Ravens and the Jets.

I'm torn on tonight's game... Giants getting HFA means throwing out the third stringers next week and helping Minnesota, but I really hate Giants and didn't want them to get HFA

PFT says that Broncos/Chargers is the flex game next week.

On another note...

Due to the recording quality I can't understand either question asked at that press conference at the beginning

I'm torn on tonight's game... Giants getting HFA means throwing out the third stringers next week and helping Minnesota, but I really hate Giants and didn't want them to get HFA

On another note...

Due to the recording quality I can't understand either question asked at that press conference at the beginning

He was basically asking if the D-Cord. was only still there because he's Marinelli's son-in-law. He found about 4 or 5 ways to ask that question.

If the Romo's win next week do they go to the playoffs?

I really have no idea who holds the tiebreaker between the Ravens and the Jets.

Jets would because if they finish with the same record Jets would have a better conference record

On another note...

He was basically asking if the D-Cord. was only still there because he's Marinelli's son-in-law. He found about 4 or 5 ways to ask that question.

That's what I'm talking about when I say I like Marinelli, still addressing the media even though this about the 6th week in a row they've bent him over and owned him.

Guest Czecherbear

Oh, look at those big drooling jocks circling the wagons for one of their own. No, Terry, when the Lions are closing in on the worst defense in NFL history, the one that failed to stop a single team from beating them, a reporter can certainly make note of the situation here, that on any other team the DC would've been fired, but this guy married his daughter, so that's tougher. Team's fuckin' 0-15 and they're blasting this guy for not being a professional? Professionals can win a game! So what if this guy's a prick? What's Detroit's idea of good sports media? Sunshine, lollipops, and plagiarism with that douche Mitch Albom? Bradshaw's an idiot. "Why do you wanna pursue a guy when they're 0-15?" Precisely because!

The question was funny, so in that sense it was more successful than anything the Lions have done this year. You invite the perception of nepotism just by hiring the guy in the first place. By choosing to keep him on when he's obviously very bad at his job, Marinelli opened himself up to this type of questioning. Fortunately for Lions fans, all of these people and their wives and daughters will be run out of town very soon.

Guest Czecherbear
I know this might be a whole new world to some of you, but Rod is a classy guy. He's a classy man who obviously wants his team to succeed. It's not journalism, it's disrespect.

It doesn't matter how classy he is. Unprecedented futility should yield unprecedented scrutiny. I'll applaud coaches for being classy when they're winners. This guy is just a red-faced dope who can't do his job well and makes deleterious nepotistic hires. Go away.

Never have I seen the word "classy" used so often to refer to someone involved in pro sports, I guess because terms like "successful" or "competent" wouldn't apply. He'll be the classiest unemployed man in America soon, because he's been an abject failure as a head coach. Rob Parker's question, while probably out of line, was no more out of line than losing every game on your schedule.

I know this might be a whole new world to some of you, but Rod is a classy guy. He's a classy man who obviously wants his team to succeed. It's not journalism, it's disrespect.

It doesn't matter how classy he is. Unprecedented futility should yield unprecedented scrutiny. I'll applaud coaches for being classy when they're winners. This guy is just a red-faced dope who can't do his job well and makes deleterious nepotistic hires. Go away.

If you think using complex vocabulary makes your point more valid, then you're wrong. It's no one's business who his daughter marries, and besides, there comes a point when a defensive coordinator can only do so much. The talent and athletic ability has to be there too.

Or fuck it, let's just fire everyone without even knowing or working anywhere close to the organization. You don't know shit.

Guest Czecherbear

I had a post about the media's penchant for Jon Kitna/Rod Marinelli analingus two years ago. brb

Rod Marinelli, and he gets a LOT of attention from the Fox broadcasters, doesn't he?

"I bet Rod Marinelli was happy with this play."

"a 2-14 record won't be good enough for Rod Marinelli."

"The Lions will really improve with Rod Marinelli."

"That's the Rod Marinelli we know and love."

"You've really gotta hand it to Rod Marinelli."

Who is Rod Marinelli?

Answer: fired guy, I guess

I like Kitna...I don't know why, but I like him.

Because he's "competitive"?

That was the other thing I didn't get in that Bears-Lions game. "Jon Kitna is a very competitive player." "You have to admire how competitive Jon Kitna is." ""What really sets Jon Kitna apart is how competitive he is. And Rod Marinelli likes that." Yeah, Jon Kitna is a competitive player, unlike most football players at the highest level of competition. Rex Grossman doesn't even get paid by the Bears. They just let him show up to games because he doesn't want to rake leaves on Sunday afternoons.

Took two years for the Lions to really deliver on being a total joke, I guess.

Or fuck it, let's just fire everyone without even knowing or working anywhere close to the organization. You don't know shit.

You're a Cowboys fan from upstate New York. How is your finger on the pulse of Lions Nation? Who you crappin'? I don't need an office in the Renaissance Center to know that Detroit has a really shitty football organization that should fire basically everybody.

I'm not sure why there's such a (ok...somewhat mild) outrage over this. It was an unsuccessful attempt at a joke that Marinelli (and the meatheads at Fox Sports) didn't get and they call for the reporter's head? Admittedly, from what I gather, the reporter does seem like kind of a hack. But he's not the one who coached The Lions to an 0-15 record and they're calling for his head?*

*I went a Detroit sports message board to see their reaction after yesterday's game to see if it was any more depressing than this one *rimshot**

They ceased being competitive, and anyone who knows "Classy" Rod Marinelli knows that isn't going to be good enough.

His name has actually been brought up as a potential successor to Monte Kiffin in Tampa next year, assuming that Marinelli does end up getting canned. He'd probably do a good job, too. Some guys just don't make good head coaches, and you have to remember that Matt Millen gave the guy almost nothing to work with personnel-wise.

If you think using complex vocabulary

deleterious

Guy's got a point, Czech.

That's really the only point he has though

If Czech didn't go all pedantic there, all Roho would have was original go-nowhere post of "Rod's a classy guy, and... uhhh... the end"

If you think using complex vocabulary

deleterious

Guy's got a point, Czech.

That's really the only point he has though

If Czech didn't go all pedantic there, all Roho would have was original go-nowhere post of "Rod's a classy guy, and... uhhh... the end"

I guess I lose this one. But it's okay, I have class.

Guest Czecherbear

If you use "class" as a noun meaning "refinement" and announce that you have it, do you?

Just looking at the stats, I feel bad for Aaron Rodgers considering how well he's played this year (Team win wise)...

Rodgers: 296/466 for 3,470 and 23 TD vs. 12 INT. 214 rushing and 4 TD.

B. Favre: 323/482 for 3,239 and 21 TD vs. 19 INT. 43 rushing and 1 TD (Stats updated through yesterday).

Hey VX, are there still Green Bay fans wondering what the season'd be like if Favre stayed or have they accepted that Aaron's a really good QB playing on a team with a poor run game and poor defense?

Tirico brought this up on his show today and he was pretty pissed about it. And I agree with Tirico, it was disrespectful.

Now I do totally agree that Marinelli is a horrible HC too, but that was uncalled for.