TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

them losing wasn't mcnabb's fault. but he did lay an egg in the first half which hurt them greatly. just tryin to say the wide receivers weren't to blame at all. curtis got tugged down on the "catchable" ball.

mcnabb was awful during various stretches this year. including parts of the playoffs.

Curtis didnt get tugged down, he was still on his feet and in play of the ball... Regardless of the referee not calling the balant pass interference call, it was still a very catchable ball and he could've got it but didn't.

McNabb had a few bad games during the season like any other QB, the problem is people make a bigger deal out of him playing a bad game more so then they give him credit for the good games. Overall McNabb had a great season, and he more then made up for his horrible 1st half with a great 2nd half. Like I said, if it wasn't for McNabb we wouldn't have even have had a chance in the 2nd half. He LEAD the offense to a great comeback, but the defense and Kevin Curtis fucked up.

We need a big time reciever, DeSean Jackson is not a #1 WR yet and is still developing... Kevin Curtis is best suited as #3 WR like he was in St. Louis. Celek is emerging as a big time TE and can't wait to see more from what he can do in the future. Brian Westbrook needs to stay healthy, another reason why we didn't do as good against Arizona this time around is because he was playing at 50%, and couldn't give McNabb any relief when he was struggling in the 1st half.

Getting rid of McNabb right now would just be plain retarded... We are still team that can possibly make it to the superbowl, we almost did made it on Sunday. Why put the future in the hands of an emerging team in Kevin Kolb who isn't anywhere near being a starting QB in the NFL? That's just retarded. McNabb took us to the NFC Championship, Kevin Kolb takes us to a top 5 NFL draft pick.

Getting rid of McNabb right now would just be plain retarded... We are still team that can possibly make it to the superbowl, we almost did made it on Sunday. Why put the future in the hands of an emerging team in Kevin Kolb who isn't anywhere near being a starting QB in the NFL? That's just retarded. McNabb took us to the NFC Championship, Kevin Kolb takes us to a top 5 NFL draft pick.

McNabb is what 1 for 5 in NFC Championship Games? And he puked on himself during the Super Bowl. The window is closing shut, and leaving McNabb there for the next 3+ years with a new offer just means that you'll be another one of those teams that consistently contends for a playoff spot but never wins because you're afraid to do something at the QB position. He'll be 33 years old next November, and it's not like he's going to suddenly stop being jittery under pressure.

McNabb may be 1/5 in NFC Championship games, but at least he's been there five times. Tom Brady is the only other current QB who can say that. Why would you blow up a team that is in the prime position to compete year after year on the small chance that you find something better? McNabb is a top five QB in this league - what is the likelihood that you can even find someone better in the next five years? Think about how many teams around the league struggle for years to find some consistency behind center and you would advocate the Eagles dumping one of the few sure things in the league because he's always been very good, but not quite great?

It's been said before, but the Eagles need a go-to receiver and a bruising RB to take pressure off of Westbrook. I find it kind of preposterous that McNabb is being called a choker today when he threw for 375 yards and 3 TD. Shouldn't we be blaming Asante Samuel for failing to show up against Fitzgerald? How about the non-existent running game? Akers shitting the bed all day? Where's that backlash?

He's right. McNabb has proved through the years he can win. He just can't get over the hump. That's something he and Andy Reid need to fix, but I'd take 5 NFC Title games in eight years than none. By the way you type you don't seem very intelligent, and I guarantee if we had a bonafide #1 WR yesterday we would certainly have had a greater chance to win than we did. Anyone besides McNabb, even Drew Brees, doesn't take this team past any playoff round.

And honestly naiwf, I know you're a Giant fan and all, but I think any other team in the NFL would rather have McNabb in at QB than Eli. McNabb gives any team a better chance to win. You can't say that about most NFL quarterbacks.

The Eagles should throw money at either TJ or Boldin. Even if they don't have many catches at least they'll create the threat of a passing game. Something they've been missing. DeSean will be a fine #2/3 in a swtich with Curtis. Baskett for Red zone & 4 WR formations.

EDIT: And the defence let us down against the Cards in the first half more than the offence. It was constant blitzs, where all Warner did was dump short passes on slants to Fitzgerald and they worked their way up the field. I mean blitzing on 3 & 20? There's a difference between putting pressure & wasting 8 men when they have top WR talent.

Whew. I didn't think the Ravens would let the guy go so easily.

I think Ray Lewis will take a 1 year deal with the Ravens for one last shot at the Super Bowl next year which happens to be in Miami.

I could also see him end up on their coaching staff somewhere after he retires.

He's right. McNabb has proved through the years he can win. He just can't get over the hump. That's something he and Andy Reid need to fix, but I'd take 5 NFC Title games in eight years than none. By the way you type you don't seem very intelligent, and I guarantee if we had a bonafide #1 WR yesterday we would certainly have had a greater chance to win than we did. Anyone besides McNabb, even Drew Brees, doesn't take this team past any playoff round.

And honestly naiwf, I know you're a Giant fan and all, but I think any other team in the NFL would rather have McNabb in at QB than Eli. McNabb gives any team a better chance to win. You can't say that about most NFL quarterbacks.

I don't care about regular season wins. Eli Manning is not a great quarterback by any means, but I'll take him over McNabb any day for one single reason. McNabb's been in the league for a decade, been to five NFC Championship games and still has any many rings as everyone on TSM put together. Eli probably won't ever win another one, but I'd take his career over McNabb's just based on one magical six week stretch last winter. As a fan of teams who LOVE to choke under pressure, I'm not impressed with winning meaningless games and falling just short of a title. The Eagles are going to end up being just like all of those other teams that consistently won 8-12 games every year and have nothing to show for it because they thought they were closer than they were to "getting over the hump". Personally I'd like to see McNabb spend the next 6 or 7 years in Philly because it means I don't have to worry about seeing him or Reid ever hoisting the Lombardi trophy.

But naiwf, your entire premise presupposes that the team is not winning titles solely because of McNabb. Couldn't we just as easily say he's doing what he can but the organization needs to put better talent around him? I just don't agree with this notion that the team is pushing 8-12 wins each year but McNabb is failing them in the end. Replacing McNabb just seems misguided as there seems to be very little concrete evidence that he is the cause of this team coming up short.

Give him a better supporting cast and see what happens. It seems like it would be a lot easier to take a team that lost a conference title game and find a few pieces to get them over the top than to tear the whole thing down and start over.

It's haters being haters. Elway was the same way. Who's to say McNabb won't win the SB next year? Or the year after? He's still got a lot left. The whole argument I am making is that in no way does getting rid of McNabb improve the Eagles. At all. You're pulling at straws.

The year McNabb had Owens, McNabb got the team to the Super Bowl without Owens in two playoff games. It's easy to crack on him when you're a rival, but don't act like McNabb doesn't give this team a chance to win. It's stupid.

But naiwf, your entire premise presupposes that the team is not winning titles solely because of McNabb. Couldn't we just as easily say he's doing what he can but the organization needs to put better talent around him? I just don't agree with this notion that the team is pushing 8-12 wins each year but McNabb is failing them in the end. Replacing McNabb just seems misguided as there seems to be very little concrete evidence that he is the cause of this team coming up short.

Give him a better supporting cast and see what happens.

That's mainly because the QB gets all the blame and all of the glory even when they don't deserve it. Big Ben played like shit in the SB, but no one references that. McNabb may be the reason they get where they do every year, but at some point you've got to break through when you've been as far as the Conference Championship game five times in eight years. The one time McNabb had a stud receiver he played just poorly enough (3 picks) in the SB that they lost despite a 30/51 for 357 with 3 TD effort. I don't blame HIM for the failures of the team, but there's even less concrete evidence that keeping him is going to result in a title some day. He's onto his second decade in the league, plays in a brutal division and hasn't proven that he can come up big when it matters most. If they keep this core intact they'll end up like the Buffalo Bills of the '90s with a decade of high profile losses followed up by a decade of mediocrity because they're just good enough to get lower draft picks and have to try to win now because they're "close".

The whole argument I am making is that in no way does getting rid of McNabb improve the Eagles.

The whole argument I am making, is that keeping McNabb doesn't improve the Eagles and they're not good enough as presently constituted to win a title.

I guess I just don't see who the Eagles could replace McNabb with and expect to take that next step. They don't have a high enough draft pick to get a Stafford or a Sanchez unless they trade up. Besides, they just drafted Kolb in 2007. To be fair, Kolb doesn't have a large body of work, but the comments I've heard on him haven't been favorable. The free agent class doesn't look too promising overall. Cassell's gonna cost a fortune. There's always Warner (ironically), but I don't see that happening. Collins, Garcia, and Garrard are the next best options, but those would probably be lateral moves at best, if not taking a step back.

yes i'm a total idiot.

and eli has one more championship than mcnabb.

i think the killer instinct to not choke puts him ahead.

mcnabb is horribly inconsistant. always has been.

Trent Dilfer has one more championship than Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts & Jim Kelly combined. It doesn't make him a better QB.

Brad Johnson, and Mark Rypien FTW!

Trent Dilfer has one more championship than Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts & Jim Kelly combined. It doesn't make him a better QB.

Hostetler as well.

If we compared McNabb to Eli in the SB seasons whom had a better cast? Just food for thought. I agree that the Eagles should not get rid of McNabb, but I love how polarizing of a figure he is after a playoff loss. BTW, as a Bengals fan I would love to get the Carolina 1st Round pick you have for Chad Johnson.

Getting rid of McNabb would more than likely cripple the Eagles offence. You can have a bullshit McNabb vs. Eli bullshit argument, but it's not like Eli is on the table and the Eagles are passing on him in favour of Mcnabb. Shit, if there was a better QB than Eli I don't think the Giants would keep him. Kolb's nowhere near being ready and even then he'd some weapons like a TJ or Boldin. Sure Mcnabb threw a few awkward behind passes but a premier wideout would still catch those and thats what the Eagles are missing.

Even if the argument is that Mcnabb gets us to the championship game 5 out of 8 years and thats it, thats still better than 28 teams who didn't make the Championship game.

A premier wideout is what the eagles need. Last year they could get nothing done in the passing game becuase our starting two were #3 WR quality Kevin Curtis and lazy, underachieving Reggie Brown; who's pretty much on his way out this summer. This year Jackson was added and suddenly our offence became a threat. Defences started paying attention to him and other passers got open, as well as him making his own big plays. Add a Boldin or Housh on top of that and it'll add levels to the passing game.

Does anyone know for sure that Donovan wants BACK in Philly? Cause I don't know if he does. Earlier in 2008, yeah for sure. But he might not want to be back again after this. It might be a case where it would be better for both parties to just end their abusive relationship.

And TO back in Philly? What, does the stadium need someone for the dunk tank?

If McNabb does want to stay and does stay, he needs a #1. TJ isn't a #1 guy, he's a compliment guy. You already have the deep threat Terry Gleen-ish compliment in DeSean Jackson. They need their over the middle possession guy. If it's Boldin, then a Boldin-Jackson-Curtis trio is one speedy bunch. TJ just feels like they would still have 2 #2 receivers. But I don't know, I think Boldin is headed fast towards ego-ville.

Another thing I'd really REALLY like to see the Eagles address is a short yardage pound back. Third and short killed them all season and it wasn't friendly again in the playoffs. Westbrook, as much as I hate saying it, is running quickly out of legs considering the punishment he has taken. They really need to consider finding another guy FOR THE FUTURE (not now Eagle fans). Buckhalter and Booker just strike me as Westbrook clones, which is great for the passing game but zero help in short yardage spots. They need to find one somewhere, anywhere.

We were discussing whether or not McNabb was a top three QB from the decade in either this thread or earlier in the NFC Championship thread, so I just did a little statistics-based research last night. I've always liked using the TD to INT ratio as a good way to measure a QB's success, although obviously it wouldn't take into account that player's intangibles, but regardless, here are the top 25 QB's of the decade based on difference between TD's and INT's:

1. Peyton: 159

2. Brady: 111

3. McNabb: 103

4. Garcia: 78

5. Brees: 69

6. Favre: 60

7. Gannon: 54

8. Hasselbeck: 52

9. Culpepper: 46

10. Brunell: 42

10. Rivers: 42

12. McNair: 41

12. Delhomme: 41

14. Warner: 40 (he would be up to 64 if his '99 season were included)

14. Palmer: 40

16. Pennington: 39

17. Trent Green: 36

18. Romo: 35

19. Roethlisberger: 32

20. Aaron Brooks: 31

21. Bulger: 30

22. Eli: 24

23. Collins: 23

24. Garrard: 22

25. Griese: 21

25. Bledsoe: 21

jesus.

ok, first, mcnabb used to be a great quarterback, but he was still a notch below the (peyton) mannings, bradys, and favres of the world.

eli winning a championship before mcnabb. eli isn't a dilfer or rypien or whoever, he is a good quarterback. the other qbs mentioned won their championship in spite of themselves. eli won because of himself. he's not as good as mcnabb at his peak (he is now, though), but he showed the ability to get the job done in the clutch. i do believe that is what puts eli ahead in the eyes of many gm's.

did i say mcnabb should be cut this year? no. i said the eagles should start thinking about it. he's only getting older. his cap number is getting bigger. and in the nfl, when building a franchise, sometimes you need to do some re-building. its not wise to just sit on your fading qb and cross your fingers he takes you to the promise land. and when he doesn't, you have 3-4 years of painful rebuilding because you didn't look into the future. did the packers actually believe that aaron rodgers was a better quarterback than brett favre right now? i doubt it. but they saw the need for change. to move forward. ultimately they made the right decision. and even if favre would have won a superbowl with the jets, the packers would still be happy that they decided to move on with rodgers.

and lastly, i do a lot of the blame on mcnabb for sundays loss. he was brutal in the first half and left the team in an enormous hole. he struggled with his accuracy. his offensive performance set the sluggish tone for the eagles defense. thats not an excuse for the defense, but it certainly helped dictate the pace for them. i just saw mcnabb missing more targets than the wde receivers dropping/missing passes. i don't blame curtis for not catching the last throw because he was on his way to the ground. and kevin curtis, in the games that i have watched, has proven himself to be quite a remarkable receiver. i don't mind their wide receiver set. they don't need a superstar. maybe just another viable threat. and i'll concur about needing another back. westbrook cant withstand an entire year of being the main man in the running game. but as a rb/wr outlet, there's no one better.

Statistics don't really bear out your Eli > McNabb idea

this year?

eli is at least 4 years younger and has a championship. right now, i'd take eli. and i think their stats were comparable this year. if we're talking mcnabb in his prime, as i had stated, he is the better qb.

whats the matter with you?

First and foremost...it's called a shift button. There are TWO of them on your keyboard. It's like...tied for he highest percentage of buttons that you can hit.

Secondly...

You're awfully hard on McNabb for his first half against Arizona... How'd Eli fair in his one playoff appearance this year?

First and foremost...it's called a shift button. There are TWO of them on your keyboard. It's like...tied for he highest percentage of buttons that you can hit.

Secondly...

You're awfully hard on McNabb for his first half against Arizona... How'd Eli fair in his one playoff appearance this year?

is that what we're resorting to?

yes, eli played horribly, too. people play bad. i've said that they have had a comparable season. some good games, some bad. whats the argument? i don't necessarily care for either qb or their respective teams, i just believe that eli is a wiser investment right now because of his age and his superbowl accomplishment (and mvp on the superbowl, too). mcnabb isn't going to get any better. and it would be time to consider life without him.

why is this hard for you?

They don't have an option for taking a Eli Manning or keeping Donovan McNabb. Manning has had a couple of good years in a row. And that's great. He's also only had one year where the Giants didn't lose their first playoff game since he became a starter. Baltimore just proved you don't need a QB to get to the championship game. Winning a Superbowl does not a great QB make. As someone already said...Marino has 0. If your point is you'd rather have a QB who's younger and goes to the playoffs...super point. I don't see how Philadelphia has that option on their plate...so still...super point.

winning a superbowl and being the mvp of the game is a pretty good accomplishment. in fact, eli was really really really good throughout the entire playoffs that year. and for the last time, somebody previously in this thread said that mcnabb gives his team a better chance to win than eli manning. i didn't bring up eli. i just begged to differ.

Hostetler as well.

Jim McMahon has 2