TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

Lions hired Titans DC Jim Schwartz as head coach. Sounds good to me, Detroit really needed a defensive-minded coach (no, Rod Marinelli doesn't count). Hopefully he'll have a big influence on the draft in a few months. Who knows, maybe they can make a run at Haynesworth now (yeah right).

By MEG KINNARD ? 1 day ago

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) ? Several months after he was charged with raping a South Carolina woman, former NFL running back David Meggett was in jail Wednesday on allegations of another sexual assault.

Meggett, 42, was arrested and charged with raping a 21-year-old woman in her North Charleston home, authorities said.

The woman told police she woke up at 1 a.m. Tuesday and found a man she knew as "Mike" sitting on her bed, according to an incident report. The man demanded that she repay $200 she owed him and raped her when she said she didn't have the money, police said.

Afterward, the man told her he was sorry and that she didn't have to repay him. The woman drove herself to the hospital, where Meggett later met her and was arrested, according to police records.

Meggett, who is listed as living in North Charleston, had been out on bond in connection with another sexual assault charge.

In September, he was charged with third-degree criminal sexual conduct after a 17-year-old North Charleston woman told authorities she was raped by a man she knew as "Michael," according to police records.

Both South Carolina arrests occurred while Meggett was serving out two years probation for a 2006 sexual battery charge in North Carolina. Authorities there allowed the Charleston native to serve his sentence in South Carolina and have been notified about both of Meggett's recent arrests, said Pete O'Boyle, spokesman for the South Carolina Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services.

North Carolina probation officials did not immediately return a phone message Wednesday.

The running back played for the New York Giants, the New York Jets and New England during his 10-year NFL career.

He was denied bond Tuesday night on charges of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and first-degree burglary, said Spencer Pryor, spokesman for the North Charleston police. He was being held Wednesday in the Charleston County jail, and it was unclear if he had an attorney.

Meggett has been acquitted on sex-related charges in the past. In 1990, while he was with the Giants, Meggett was found not guilty of soliciting sex from an undercover police officer in Baltimore. Eight years later, he was charged with assaulting a woman in a Toronto hotel room after she refused to continue having sex with him, but that charge was dropped.

The Patriots released Meggett in 1998 after the Toronto charge.

The man demanded that she repay $200 she owed him and raped her when she said she didn't have the money

Sounds like my sunday school.

CFL Invasion? http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content...de_the_dolphins

The best defensive player in the CFL worked out with the Miami Dolphins today, according to a published report.

Defensive end Cameron Wake of the British Columbia Lions was in South Florida so the Dolphins could take a look at the two-time CFL Defensive Player of the Year, according to the Toronto Globe and Mail.

Miami reportedly isn’t the only team vying for the services of Wake, a 6-foot-3, 241-pounder who played at Penn State.

The report stats that Indianapolis, New Orleans and Minnesota also are interested in Wake, who would move to weak-side linebacker in the NFL.

New York Giants signed QB Andre Woodson, RB Dwayne Wright, WR Taye Biddle, and WR Micah Rucker to reserve/futures contracts

As a note: Reserves/Futures contracts are essentially 1 year contracts (i.e. 2009 only) and only players not on active rosters are eligible. Essentially a way to steal a player from a team's practice squad or lock up a PS player for another season and hope he can make the 53 man roster (often as a Special Teams player).

I don't who any of those other guys are, but the Giants drafted Andre Woodson last year. I guess he was on the practice squad or something though, because they only ever dressed 2 QBs throughout the season.

Yeah, he was on the practice squad. Micah Rucker was a really good WR (think Limas Sweed type build) in I-AA. Biddle would probably be a Special Teams guy (as would Wright) but Wright could move up depth chart wise if the Giants utilize a 3/4 man rotation at RB again.

Most players hit the practice squad first if they're late round picks (Tom Brady in 2000) and gradually move onto the active roster. It's literally a "farm" if you will but allows young rookies to get some experience without wasting a 53 man roster spot on them. Usually helps them get ready for the #3 QB/#4 RB/#4-5-6 WR spot if they're at offensive positions by the next season after they're drafted.

Also the place where late round picks who are "raw" or "need work" land to get some extra coaching.

Somewhere in Seattle, Kinetic is shedding tears of joy.

At least he won his Super Bowl*. Even when he was with the Raiders, his offensive schemes were always bland and predictable, and while I'm not surprised this happened, you would think this would have happened right after the Raiders loss. Wonder who the Bucs have in mind. Shanahan maybe?

Al Davis must be smiling in Oakland right now.

*with Tony Dungy's players.

Jon seemed to doom himself by trying to "resurrect" players after his success with Gannon/Brown/Rice in Oakland...

- Brad Johnson/Brian Griese/Jeff Garcia at QB, Ike Hilliard/Joey Galloway/Antonio Bryant at WR, Michael Pittman/Earnest Graham/Warrick Dunn at RB

It seemed like every season, there was one hire at an offensive position where as a fan you went, "WTF? Isn't he like 32 years old?"

Shanahan must have expressed some interest, because otherwise why do you make your coaching move nearly 3 weeks after everyone else? Did they not want to see Gruden go to the Lions or Browns to the point where they waited for those positions to fill up before cutting him loose?

I'd like to be thrilled about this, but it's just so puzzling that the Glazers would wait until 3 weeks after the season ended to make the move. You would imagine--and it's obviously been speculated on, given how sudden and unexpected this was--that they've got a Shanahan or a Cowher lined up. Otherwise, why do you fire a guy who, despite his weaknesses, is at least a proven commodity? I'm not at all upset to see him go, but just a little concerned that they won't be able to find an adequate replacement.

Harley's point is fair enough, although it should be pointed out that Gruden inherited both Brad Johnson and Michael Pittman and that they both won a Super Bowl with him. Earnest Graham is still young and only got on the field due to injuries. Ike, Galloway, and Bryant have all had good seasons in Tampa. I'm torn on Garcia. Bringing Griese back the second time was totally inexcusable, as was signing Charlie Garner and Tim Brown. And having Tim Brown return punts! Fuck. Good riddance.

So with Gruden and Shanahan getting the boot, plus Holmgren and Dungy leaving on their own... that just leaves Belichick and Coughlin as the only (current) active head coaches with SB rings

Though, even one year later (or especially one year later), SB champion Tom Coughlin still doesn't sound right

So the following teams will have new head coaches (excluding SF who had Singletary as an interim and then hired him)...

- Cleveland Browns

- Denver Broncos

- Detroit Lions

- Indianapolis Colts

- New York Jets

- Seattle Seahawks

- St. Louis Rams

- Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Also Kansas City could quickly be added to this list as well. I'll hold off on adding Oakland until they confirm they aren't bringing back Tom Cable.

Green Bay, after missing the boat on Nolan and Williams (probably during Ted's naptime, his eyes can't be half way outside his head 24/7), is now apparently looking into hiring Dom Capers for Defense.

As a reminder, the Shrine Game is on ESPN2 in 50 minutes. Very curious to see how Chase Daniel does as he's reportedly struggled during practices.

Some I-AA guys to watch... The following have received high praise during practices from DraftGuys.com

- RB Javarris Williams (Tennessee State): He ran with a good low pad level and initial burst once again, showing that he definitely belongs in this game. He continues to look like a viable backup RB with his compact strong build, powerful lower body, and surprising lateral agility.

- TE Brian Mandeville (Northeastern): He’s not as explosive as Tony Scheffler, but he could be a Kevin Boss at the next level. Mandeville drew kudos for his blocking on a few reps and even sealed the edge on a touchdown run. He also lined up in the slot on a few plays.

- LB Jason Williams (Western Illinois): Has been the best linebacker on the West squad all week and made a terrific play to read a run play and knife through a gap drawing kudos from the coaching staff.

- DE Lawrence Sidbury (Richmond): Sidbury didn’t always win his battles, sometimes being guided past the QB too easily or losing his feet, but with hard work and good coaching, he’ll be a productive sack artist in the NFL. His game is far from polished, but in a league hungry for pass rushers, he will be one of the first small school players off the board in April.

Julius Peppers, best known as "the only one of the top 3 2002 NFL Draft selections to not suck", wants to play in a 3-4 system and therefore won't re-sign with Carolina.

Franchise and trade, Carolina needs a 1st-rounder to replace Delhomme.

Green Bay, after missing the boat on Nolan and Williams (probably during Ted's naptime, his eyes can't be half way outside his head 24/7), is now apparently looking into hiring Dom Capers for Defense.

I would be fine with Capers. He has a good track record.

Raheem Morris is officially the new head coach of the Buccaneers. I'll let you know how I feel about this sometime in late December.

Spags has been announced as the new Head Coach of the Rams. I was hoping Gilbride would be the one to leave. FUCK!

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/

There's quite a quality upgrade for coaching the NFC West this offseason. Three good/great coaches there... good thing there's still Jim Mora Jr. to balance things out.

Let's not give Spags too much credit when he couldn't scheme up a single sack in 180 minutes against the Eagles this year. It's just a gut feeling from me, but I think he will be a bust as a coach and will be a DC again in less than 3 years.

What does everyone think about the Ravens going after LT this offseason? The consensus is they aren't a bad choice considering they have Cam Cameron and maybe Lorenzo Neal to block for him for at least 1 year. Doubtful that the chargers would take McGahee back in the deal, so the Ravens would need to find a suitor for the disgruntled McGahee which doesn't seem likely so the whole thing isn't likely, but anyway.

I also wonder about the long rumored Suggs for Boldin trade, which might be more appealing to both sides now. The Ravens wont be able to keep all 3 off Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and Suggs this offseason and I figure Ray Lewis will resign for a final time and Bart Scott or Suggs could be Franchises, but Suggs would have the most trade value and Boldin would fill a huge hole and give Flacco someone who he could throw his deep ball to.