TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Truthiness

WWE SmackDown - January 2, 2009

WWE taped this week's edition of SmackDown at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Special thanks to Wrestling News World readers Alisha, AJ Maltese, Armando, Bobby Gross, Josh Vankell, Kevin Eperjesi, and Mark Sasso for sending live text-message updates. If you are attending a WWE event in the near future and would be interested in sending us live text-message updates please email your name, mobile number, and show date to wnwryan [at] yahoo.com. Thanks for your support!

* A new video on the WWE Universe is shown.

* A Tribute to the Troops video package is shown.

Dark Match:

* R-Truth b. Ryan Braddock

- R-Truth comes out to a big pop. Braddock comes out to a little heat. Truth gets the win via pinfall after a scissor kick.

WWE SmackDown: (Airing Friday)

* Jim Ross and Tazz come out to do commentary.

* SmackDown begins with Justin Roberts in the ring. He announces Vickie Guerrero and she comes out to lots of heat. She announced that Jeff Hardy will face Edge at Royal Rumble for the WWE Championship. When she is about to leave, Triple H comes out. He receives a huge pop from the live audience. Hunter wishes Vickie a Happy New Year and then asks her about the Royal Rumble entrants. He makes fun of her until she gives in and lets him in the rumble. He then says she has nude pictures on eBay. Vickie runs out of the ring to the back.

* An Umaga return promo video is shown.

* The Great Khali & Finlay b. Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins

- Hornswoggle comes to the ring with Finlay. The Great Khali comes out to a new entrance theme with Ranjin Singh. Khali gets the win with the Khali Bomb. After the match Finlay & Hornswoggle beat up on Ryder & Hawkins. The Great Khali, Ranjin Singh, Finlay, and Hornswoggle all dance in the ring.

* Eve interviews Michelle McCool. She blames Maria for her loss. Eve asks her to apologize and she refuses.

* Vickie and Edge are backstage talking about her nude photos. Big Show says he's seem them. Show and Edge get in an argument.

* The Brian Kendrick & Ezekiel Jackson b. Jesse & Festus

- Ezekiel Jackson hits his finisher on Jesse and gets the win via pinfall.

* Vladimir Kozlov b. Hurricane Helms

- Quick match. Kozlov gets the win with his chokeslam finisher. Several boring chants are heard throughout the crowd.

* A Behind Enemy Lines video promo is shown.

* Another Tribute to the Troops video package is shown.

* Jim Ross is in the ring and announces that Triple H, Big Show, Vladimir Kozlov, and Shelton Benjamin are in the Royal Rumble. Benjamin comes out and says he should be announced as the winner and that no one compares to him. The Undertaker comes out a chokeslams him. Taker receives a huge pop.

* A Kizarny promo is shown. It says he will debt tonight.

* Michelle McCool comes out and apologizes to Maria and Eve. She then attacks Eve with the microphone.

* Vickie Guerrero & Chavo are backstage. Triple H interrupts. Vickie tells Hunter that he's going to compete in a Triple Jeopardy Match on next week's SmackDown: 1) A Table Match 2) A Handicap Match 3) A Last Man Standing Match

* Kizarny b. MVP in a short match.

- Lots of boring chants are heard throughout the arena.

* Ken Kennedy comes out a cuts a promo. He makes fun of MVP and talks about Behind Enemy Lines.

* A Royal Rumble preview is shown.

* Edge comes out and cuts a promo saying that Jeff Hardy is an embarrassment as WWE Champion. He says after the Rumble that he will be WWE Champion. Edge says he gets blamed for everything but when Jeff loses - blame him. This leads to Matt & Jeff Hardy vs. Big Show & Edge.

* WWE Champion Jeff Hardy & ECW Champion Matt Hardy b. Edge & Big Show

- Matt Hardy hit Twist of Fate and Jeff hit the Swanton to get the three count. After the match Jeff and Matt pose with the belts. This concludes this week's SmackDown.

Who took the pinfall in the main event? I'm assuming that it's The Big Show.

EDIT: According to PWI spoilers Big Show left Edge to fight the Hardy Boyz in a 2-on-1 situation. So Edge takes the fall.

* Ken Kennedy comes out a cuts a promo. He makes fun of MVP and talks about Behind Enemy Lines.

Not this shit again.

"Behind Enemy Lines! Behind Enemy Lines! Misterrrrrrr Kennedaaaaay!"

I swear to God HHH better not win the rumble this year.

I'd hate a repeat of 2002 as well.

I just hate it when WWE tries to tease wrestler A being screwed out of the Rumble then Wrestler A gets in the Rumble in some kind of way then wins the Rumble. I like the Royal Rumble a lot more when the fans really have no clue who is going to win the Rumble, like last year.

The only time WWE really did it correct recently was with Beniot when Beniot really came off as the guy who wasn't going to win the Rumble but they kinda screwed it up by Beniot going after the World title HHH had and not the WWE title that Lesnar had.

They haven't really done that yet with HHH but just him coming out and asking Vickie if he was going to be in the match very well could be the start of that angle.

I can honestly say that I knew these guys were going to win going into their respective Rumble match:

HBK in 1995 (it was clear that they going for Diesel-Shawn)

HBK in 1996 (you all knew that he was being groomed for the championship)

Austin in 1998 (see Shawn in 1996)

HHH in 2002 (all signs pointed to Helmsley)

Lesnar in 2003 (this one was very obvious)

Batista in 2005 (this one was even more obvious)

Especially the last three that I listed. I was really hyped about Rey going over in 2006, as I thought it was a possibility, but I was almost certain that I would be let down. I was wrong.

It was pretty obivous Austin was winning in 2001, there was no way Austin wasnt main eventing Wrestlemania in Texas.

I wasn't paying attention to the location that year, but in hindsight, it was very obvious. It was also obvious that Angle was going to lose the WWF Championship before the big show as well, long before I knew that The Rock was going to challenge him at No Way Out.

Truthiness, you the pic in your sig isn't showing up.

All I got to say is fuck this show. When you job out one of your more consistent workers to the shit-suck of Kizarny, and continue to have the one guy your high on one minute, than can't figure out what you saw in him the next come out to make fun of him... this show can eat a dick. It all went down hill after the championship scramble match.

A buddy of mine was telling me Kizarny is using some DDT variation where he wraps his legs around the opponents waist in mid-drop. That's just hear-say though, so don't read much into it. Sounds kind of odd.

I can understand the stupid name and the constant carny talk getting on peoples' nerves, but I am seriously intrigued with what this guy will offer. From all accounts he sounds like a really well-rounded performer.

When is Mr. Kennedy getting back in the ring. Also, I think I've had enough of the MVP losing streak. The guy is a great worker, has a great entrance and cuts a great promo. What's not to like. MVP is a convincing wrestler.

When is Mr. keendy getting back in the ring. Also, I think I've had enough of the MVP losing streak. The guy is a great worker, has a great entrance and cuts a great promo. What's not to like. MVP is a convincing wrestler.

I'm really hoping WWE isn't about to "future endeavor" MVP. Call it a crazy idea, but you never know sometimes.

Kizarny's finisher was called the Talula Belle, but that will likely be changed in the wwe. It's a double underhook DDT where he wraps his legs around his opponents waist while falling so his complete weight comes down on his opponents head (at least that's the reasoning).

Here's a FCW match between Scotty Goldman and Kizarny where he uses the finisher (though Josh sorta misses it) -

- Quick match. Kozlov gets the win with his chokeslam finisher. Several boring chants are heard throughout the crowd.

This is the kind of booking I don't care for. They build up a challenger, give him his title shot on free TV, he loses clean, and the next week he's losing a sqaush match.

This is the kind of booking I don't care for. They build up a challenger, give him his title shot on free TV, he loses clean, and the next week he's losing a sqaush match.

Quite the fall for Helms.

The back tattoo will be his downfall. I'm serious when I say that - it's that bad. Not to mention his character is a mess right now, as is his "look". I don't know why he just didn't come back under the same character as when he left. He has the hair from his Sugar Shane 3 Count WCW days, the colors and "mannerisms" (What's up with that pose) from his Hurricane days, with some Gregory mixed in as well. And he's also seemingly getting the Stevie Richards storyline how he's the forever underdog who came back from so much for the love of the "sports entertainment".

Who took the pinfall in the main event? I'm assuming that it's The Big Show.

EDIT: According to PWI spoilers Big Show left Edge to fight the Hardy Boyz in a 2-on-1 situation. So Edge takes the fall.

Am I the only one who found this bit of info great? So Show leaves Edge hanging as he feuds with the Hardyz? So it looks like Edge is going to need a partner to feud with The Hardyz. A REAL partner. I wonder who THAT could be.

Edge is pissed and calls out Show next week and........

Cue the music ................... JUST CLOSE YOUR EYES.

Con-Chairto on Show and the feud between the Hardyz and E&C begins.

The back tattoo will be his downfall. I'm serious when I say that - it's that bad. Not to mention his character is a mess right now, as is his "look". I don't know why he just didn't come back under the same character as when he left. He has the hair from his Sugar Shane 3 Count WCW days, the colors and "mannerisms" (What's up with that pose) from his Hurricane days, with some Gregory mixed in as well. And he's also seemingly getting the Stevie Richards storyline how he's the forever underdog who came back from so much for the love of the "sports entertainment".

I was just thinking the exact same thing. The tattoo is HORRIBLE, and his look now is just awful compared to his last "It's Time" look. What's going on with those ratty looking board shorts with the old Hurricane logo on them? Seriously, this guy's gimmick worlds are colliding.

When is Mr. keendy getting back in the ring. Also, I think I've had enough of the MVP losing streak. The guy is a great worker, has a great entrance and cuts a great promo. What's not to like. MVP is a convincing wrestler.

I think Kennedy is due back in February.