TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWE SmackDown - January 9, 2009

From PWI:

Triple H defeated John Morrison in a Table Match. There was a scary incident during the finish. HHH pushed Morrison off the top rope and Morrison was to land back first on a table that was set up on the floor. Morrison missed the mark and only grazed the table, flipping it over. He had a very visible spot on his back. They re-did the spot and it went right the second time. After the match, The Miz came out and distracted HHH. Chavo Guerrero snuck out and put HHH through another table.

GM Vickie Guerrero confronted HHH backstage and told him he still had two matches left.

The Undertaker defeated Shelton Benjamin with a tombstone in a non-title match. Not a squash. Shelton gets some offense in and actually escaped a Last Ride attempt.

A Tazz interview with Edge is shown.

The Bella Twins defeated Michelle McCool & Victoria after one of the twins rolled up Victoria after she missed a moonsault. McCool put a serious beatdown on Victoria after the match and hit her with her Styles Clash.

Triple H defeated Chavo Guerrero & The Miz in a Handicap Match. Chavo walked out on Miz and HHH fed Miz a pedigree for the win.

After the match, GM Vickie Guerrero comes out and tells HHH that his last match is a Last Man Standing Match against The Big Show.

MVP hosts the VIP Lounge with guest, Mr. Kennedy. Kennedy makes fun of MVP and plugs his shitty movie again. After the movie plug, several men come out to repossess all of his set pieces. Kennedy tells MVP to cheer up because it could be worse. The Boogeyman pops up and gives MVP a pumphandle slam.

Carlito & Primo defeated The Brian Kendrick & Ezekiel Jackson to retain the tag titles.

The Big Show defeated Triple H in a Last Man Standing Match after connecting with the knockout punch. This means Triple H will not be allowed to compete in the Royal Rumble (at least, for now).

Post-Taping Dark Match saw Jeff Hardy defeat Edge with the swanton.

Wasn't it last year that HHH lost the rights to be in the Rumble, but then won a last chance battle royal or something and all of the sudden he was back in it, making the whole task of getting there a waste of time? I hope that doesn't happen again this year. I still think Orton is going to win the Rumble and HHH will win the No Way Out of The Chamber match.

Why is there no Jeff Hardy except for a dark match?

I believe this was the second half of a doubleheader taping, as both Matt and Jeff Hardy already took on Edge and The Big Show in the Main Event at the end of the first taping.

Wasn't it last year that HHH lost the rights to be in the Rumble, but then won a last chance battle royal or something and all of the sudden he was back in it, making the whole task of getting there a waste of time? I hope that doesn't happen again this year. I still think Orton is going to win the Rumble and HHH will win the No Way Out of The Chamber match.

We do this crap with HHH every year. I'm getting tired of it.

I'm interested in seeing Taker vs. Shelton, but I can do without all the overdone heel GM stuff. It's basically the main reason I rarely watch SD.

MVP hosts the VIP Lounge with guest, Mr. Kennedy. Kennedy makes fun of MVP and plugs his shitty movie again. After the movie plug, several men come out to repossess all of his set pieces. Kennedy tells MVP to cheer up because it could be worse. The Boogeyman pops up and gives MVP a pumphandle slam.

Ugh, I am so done with Kennedy and all of this crap.. seriously. What draw does this guy even have anymore?

Ugh, I am so done with Kennedy and all of this crap.. seriously. What draw does this guy even have anymore?

A movie coming out.

Not sure if you've heard that. They're trying to keep it on the DL.

Anymore? He's always been terrible.

I believe this was the second half of a doubleheader taping, as both Matt and Jeff Hardy already took on Edge and The Big Show in the Main Event at the end of the first taping.

That shouldn't matter, the 2nd taping was for a different Smackdown show so Jeff Hardy and Edge should have been on the show in some kind of manner. Instead we get a show built around HHH fighting to get into the rumble. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

That shouldn't matter, the 2nd taping was for a different Smackdown show so Jeff Hardy and Edge should have been on the show in some kind of manner. Instead we get a show built around HHH fighting to get into the rumble. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Exactly. Double header or not it makes no sense to have no champion on your show. Enigma may have missed something here, because I doubt it's possible they would do an SD without the WWE champion. He might be doing some interviews or some shit.

Exactly. Double header or not it makes no sense to have no champion on your show. Enigma may have missed something here, because I doubt it's possible they would do an SD without the WWE champion. He might be doing some interviews or some shit.

Then again the show's focus is on HHH.

Kennedy's biggest problem other than his various injuries is that he's never evolved past his initial schtick ("MIIIISTTER KEENNNNNEEDDYYY!"). That was an amusing bit to introduce him to viewers but he needed to move past it quickly, but never did. Now his act is old and annoying, and he's injured all the time to boot.

A segment will be inserted into these tapings where Jeff Hardy and his girlfriend are involved in a hit and run accident, where Jeff is basically uninjured, but Beth is hurt.

(I wonder if Rikishi will be the driver...)

Kennedy's biggest problem other than his various injuries is that he's never evolved past his initial schtick ("MIIIISTTER KEENNNNNEEDDYYY!"). That was an amusing bit to introduce him to viewers but he needed to move past it quickly, but never did. Now his act is old and annoying, and he's injured all the time to boot.

I think the injuries are the worst part of all.

So I heard last night on the LAW that the reason Jeff wasn't on the show is because he and his g/f get in a car accident with "mystery person" which will be shown on the show this week.

I think the injuries are the worst part of all.

Being a shitty wrestler didn't help either.

Being a shitty wrestler didn't help either.

I agree with you, to an extent. I think he's great when he's on offense, but the guy doesn't sell very well. He botches the bumps a lot, and he seems to be kind of half-way sandbagging his opponents at times. While some might think this makes his work more believable, well... we've all seen the results.

So I heard last night on the LAW that the reason Jeff wasn't on the show is because he and his g/f get in a car accident with "mystery person" which will be shown on the show this week.

Yep - just aired in Australia, and the show starts off with a 'capture' of WWE.com (with a story that isn't actually on WWE.com yet, since we get SD early) talking about the crash.

Wife and i picked up a new TV today with some of the wedding gift money. We're breaking it in with the hD broadcast of Smackdown. I'm kind of excited.

Why couldn't Michelle McCool have been the blonde SD diva to dislocate her kneecap? That chick sucks and brings absolutely nothing to the table.

What, nobody watch the show? The prospects of three HHH matches didn't entice you?

I might have to find UT vs Benjamin somewhere, as that sound like something I'd dig.

I watched but it's kind of lame to get excited for a 2 week old show ( a show taped and shown the same week was the standard) . On top of that, SD has turned into a 2 hour WWF Challenge/All American Wrestling. We don't even get entrances for both wrestlers now.It's like here's a SUPERSTAR and already in the ring, the guy losing) That shit wouldn't fly on Raw now. It's like WWE is half ass'n Smackdown and they don't care because it's the highest rated show on the network.

Storyline wise outside of the JBL/HBK thing, SD has a better product than Raw, but production wise, ECW blows it out of the water.

Sadly, we didn't get to watch it on the new TV. But we did watch it.

My wife is a new fan so she still has that marky innocence. It's interesting watching it with her. Kind of makes me realize how cynical being smart can make you.

-- The three HHH matches were interesting. But it didn't feel like an event, you know? The graphics made it look like it was supposed to be one, but it never FELT like one. I remember how JR sounds when he's really trying to pimp something, but none of that energy was there. I expected H to go over Big Show, no doubt out of cynicism, and so was pleasantly surprised when he didn't.

-- Benjamin v. Taker - pretty solid. The ending was never in doubt, but it wasn't a squash by any means. Taker made him look decent and they both came out of it looking good.

I always skip the Divas.

Tag match was fun, but short. Not sure THE Kendrik and that other guy are a good... team... But the big guy was fun to watch. Kendrick just annoyed me. Please tell me this dysfunction is leading to a feud or something.

If there was much else match-wise, I don't remember it. Take that as you will.

The Jeff/Accident stuff was... weird. They sold it like he DIED with the somber opening and stuff. Having not read any spoilers, I at first thought it was legit, but then remembered the escalator thing or whatever and figured it was a work. Meh. Prolly Christian, of course. Which I'm completely neutral about.