TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

2009 Hall of Fame

The Fight Network ticker said Ric Flair was confirmed as inducting Austin, but I don't know where they get half of these things. Last week it said The Funks were officially announced as going in. Officially announced where?

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- It has been confirmed that Ricky Steamboat will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this year. He will be inducted by Ric Flair.

Steamboat and Ted DiBiase got a lot of votes for last year's internal election regarding the WWE Hall of Fame. Vince McMahon takes the candidates with the most votes under consideration but makes all the picks in the end. The two wrestling legends weren't snubbed last year, but Vince knows he can't put all the best candidates in at once, so they are spread out over years.

Also it seems like Vince himself wanted to induct Austin, so he bumped Flair, who as the above indicates, is induction Steamboat.

-- It has been confirmed that Ricky Steamboat will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this year. He will be inducted by Ric Flair.

Steamboat and Ted DiBiase got a lot of votes for last year's internal election regarding the WWE Hall of Fame. Vince McMahon takes the candidates with the most votes under consideration but makes all the picks in the end. The two wrestling legends weren't snubbed last year, but Vince knows he can't put all the best candidates in at once, so they are spread out over years.

Also it seems like Vince himself wanted to induct Austin, so he bumped Flair, who as the above indicates, is induction Steamboat.

Glad to see Steamboat is going in, and Flair is the one that will be inducting him.

This is shaping up to be quite the class:

-Steve Austin (I wouldn't be shocked if McMahon does induct him)

-Ricky Steamboat (Flair inducting)

-Bill Watts (Jim Ross inducting)

-The Funks (Still waiting to see if this is confirmed, but I would be shocked if they didn't get the nod - My guess is Dusty will induct them)

-The Von Erichs (See above and below)

I wonder who gets the remaining spot or two. Do they give it to The Freebirds by virtue of the ceremony being in Texas or does Hayes' actions from last year cost them a spot this year? (Although, I can see Hayes being one to induct the Von Erich family)

I still think this NEEDS to be the year that Howard Finkel gets inducted, at long last.

I mean, they missed the perfect one with WrestleMania 20...so do it this time around for WrestleMania 25.

After all he did name their biggest show in history and it's the silver anniversary. There still hasn't been any better ring announcer with the exception of Michael Buffer.

The Fight Network ticker said Ric Flair was confirmed as inducting Austin, but I don't know where they get half of these things. Last week it said The Funks were officially announced as going in. Officially announced where?

Personally, I'd only say Austin is the official one, but that's just me.

Fink, not getting not getting into the HOF is a WWE running joke.

Have any more inductees been announced on TV? I don't keep up with wrestling like I used to but I do enjoy the HOF shows.

After all he did name their biggest show in history and it's the silver anniversary. There still hasn't been any better ring announcer with the exception of Michael Buffer.

I'll be keeping the thread updated with whose offically announced via WWE.com and WWE tv. Discuss.

What is a "heavyweight eliminator" match? I know it seems obvious, but if this is the episode of Nitro I'm thinking of, it's a one on one match.

Also, does Steamboat's induction all but confirm DiBiase? Or will Vince fight this Internet leak too?

Glad to see Steamboat is going in, and Flair is the one that will be inducting him.

-The Funks (Still waiting to see if this is confirmed, but I would be shocked if they didn't get the nod - My guess is Dusty will induct them)

I wonder who gets the remaining spot or two. Do they give it to The Freebirds by virtue of the ceremony being in Texas or does Hayes' actions from last year cost them a spot this year? (Although, I can see Hayes being one to induct the Von Erich family)

What did Hayes do last year?

I don't know if this is a confirmation, but this is from JR's blog:

I can see it now....Dusty Rhodes goes too long with his HOF introduction and the Funks come out to the stage in the Toyota Center and assault the Dream just like in the old days. I miss aspects of the old days for moments just like I just described.

What did Hayes do last year?

The whole racial incident that nearly cost Hayes' his job.

What is a "heavyweight eliminator" match? I know it seems obvious, but if this is the episode of Nitro I'm thinking of, it's a one on one match.

In boxing, an eliminator is a number-one contenders match.

OK, thought that came about due to insomnia.

I don't think that it should happen this year...but I was wondering something really crazy:

Do you think for a future "celebrity inductee" to the Hall of Fame, a certain famous actor turned wrestler should be an inductee?

I'm talking about, of course, Andy Kaufman.

And before you say "Well, he was never in WWF!"...neither were Verne Gagne or Nick Bockwinkle, IIRC.

And before you say "Well, he was never in WWF!"...neither were Verne Gagne or Nick Bockwinkle, IIRC.

Bockwinkle, only as a road agent, though he did have a match against Backlund in an AWA vs WWWF "title unification" match - ended in a double countout. Gagne definitely not. But even outside of those guys I think the WWE HOF has shown on many an occasion that they'd induct guys who weren't necessarily a part of WWF history in specific, so Kaufman could happen.

Bockwinkle, only as a road agent, though he did have a match against Backlund in an AWA vs WWWF "title unification" match - ended in a double countout. Gagne definitely not. But even outside of those guys I think the WWE HOF has shown on many an occasion that they'd induct guys who weren't necessarily a part of WWF history in specific, so Kaufman could happen.

The other thing is that if McMahon Sr. hadn't turned Kaufman down, he would have never done the angle in Memphis. He approached McMahon Sr. first.

And yeah... the Hall of Fame has definitely shown they are willing to induct historical contributors to wrestling in general since, basically, the WWF is wrestling at this point and "owns" all that history.

In terms of this year's class, I must agree... it is loaded when you look at just who has been announced:

-Steve Austin

-Ricky Steamboat

-Dory and Terry Funk

-Bill Watts

That's four former World Champions, a highly influential and innovative promoter, and we haven't even had the official Von Erich announcement yet. It's a wonder who else they can and will add to this class.

Gagne wrestled MSG spots in the 1970s, and did a tour or two with Vince Sr. in the 1950s.

As far as celebrities, Cyndi Lauper is really the best one WWE can induct.

Especially after Mr. T turned them down.

Why the Hell didn't they induct Mr. T for Wrestlemania 21? With Hogan, Piper, Orndorff, Orton there, it would've been perfect.

Why the Hell didn't they induct Mr. T for Wrestlemania 21? With Hogan, Piper, Orndorff, Orton there, it would've been perfect.

I don't know if they asked him at that point, but his beef with them is that they inducted Pete Rose before him. He saw the induction of Rose as a joke.

If they want to keep the Texas feel of this WM, I want to see them induct Barry Windham this year and have either IRS or Daddy Blackjack introduce him.

If they want to keep the Texas feel of this WM, I want to see them induct Barry Windham this year and have either IRS or Daddy Blackjack introduce him.

I wish the Freebirds would go in, but I doubt that's going to happen this year. I'm also kind of surprised they haven't inducted the Road Warriors yet, but they might be waiting on them for next year.

PWInsider is reporting that Koko B. Ware will be the next announced name for the Hall of Fame.

:huh:

This 8 guys a year for the HOF is going to get funny in the next few years as we see more and more mid card guys careers trumpeted