TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Krankor

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2009

Guest Vitamin X

Jesus! Both Milledge and Taveras go out a couple spots away from me picking? Way to pick my outfield apart, guys. :(

Guest Vitamin X

I'm not as excited about this pick as I could be, seeing as how he's my third option after both Milledge and Taveras were taken.. Maybe I should've saved Brandon Morrow for this spot? No matter. If he could keep from striking out too much, this is a heck of a power hitter to complement Ichiro and Josh Hamilton in the outfield. I'll take..

ankiel-hgh.jpg

Rick Ankiel, OF

mlb_g_tejada_300.jpg

Miguel Tejada, SS

Ok, I know he's had a no-good, very bad off-season, and he's suddenly 2 years older, but unless he spends time in federal prison (a possibility, granted), I need a shortstop, and he still gives you top 10 production from your SS. Plus he's a former Oriole, so you know.

Guest Vitamin X

I don't think it's an awful pick, per se, but from what I've seen the past couple rounds is that people have been picking up prospects waaaay too early in the draft and leaving the proven guys later, which seems kind of wasteful in a keeper league, since most of those picks are going to end up costing higher picks later on. Hmm.

Ive only got 1 or maybe 2 open keeper slots for next year barring a catastrophe so I really am not picking players for performance in 2010 and beyond, other than maybe a pitcher later. Im probably not gonna keep Duchsherer and Nathan I could keep but even though hes a top 3 closer and his stats have been consistant for the last few years, you never know with closers. I can't forsee not keeping Tex/Braun/McCann though. I could keep Gonzalez with a 3rd round pick but if Tex keeps his numbers up and I have someone else lower that I could replace him with then I might do that, but Im still quite happy about having 2 top tier 1B.

I don't think it's an awful pick, per se, but from what I've seen the past couple rounds is that people have been picking up prospects waaaay too early in the draft and leaving the proven guys later, which seems kind of wasteful in a keeper league, since most of those picks are going to end up costing higher picks later on. Hmm.

There aren't even that many good proven veterans left on the board. The ones I come across are unlikely to crack the replacement level of the league. If I come across a good prospect that's likely to contribute this season, I'm biting regardless of what round it is.

This is a six player keeper league, I started with one player. I need future stars, plain and simple.

Well, it was between this guy and Ankiel. I had no clue which I was going to pick, but VX made it pretty simple for me.

John Maine, SP

samuraida6.jpg

I've managed to build a nice set of starters I think, compared to the garbage I had last year. I kept no pitchers, and so far my starters are looking like the following...

Rich Harden, Felix Hernandez, Javier Vazquez, Josh Johnson, and John Maine.

Some decent risks, but aside from Harden, everyone is pretty safe and should be able to eat up quality innings.

Also, I tried the heavy upside young guy pitcher route last year, didn't work. This year I'm going for vets that know what the hell they're doing for my core staff.

Guest Vitamin X
There aren't even that many good proven veterans left on the board. The ones I come across are unlikely to crack the replacement level of the league. If I come across a good prospect that's likely to contribute this season, I'm biting regardless of what round it is.

Just so you're aware, for every year that you keep a player, their draft value increases by five rounds.. Meaning if you really want to keep a lot of those hot young prospects you're taking in the first ten rounds, you may end up with a position where you're going to have to either let them go or not get a first pick for a long time, assuming you want to keep A-Rod.

Also, I tried the heavy upside young guy pitcher route last year, didn't work. This year I'm going for vets that know what the hell they're doing for my core staff.

Yeah, you're telling me. I went for way too many hit or miss prospects last year, and I'm glad I'm sticking it out and going for some real players here. Three proven guys who have had injury/inconsistency issues in the past but will probably be better this year (Lester-Carpenter-Zambrano) and two awesome young prospects (Volstad-Morrow) and a damn good closer (B.J. Ryan). I'm extremely happy with my pitching staff, something I don't think I even tried addressing much outside of Lester until the last 5 or 6 rounds last year, and I paid dearly for it.

Just so you're aware, for every year that you keep a player, their draft value increases by five rounds.. Meaning if you really want to keep a lot of those hot young prospects you're taking in the first ten rounds, you may end up with a position where you're going to have to either let them go or not get a first pick for a long time, assuming you want to keep A-Rod.

H. Keepers can be kept for 3 years at their original draft value. After 3 years, if they have a draft value of round 11-20, their round value would have 5 rounds deducted from it. If the player has a draft round value of 1-10, than 3 rounds would be deducted from it. This would happen each year until the player would eventually be worth a first round draft pick.

(Example: Brian McCann has a draft value of 18. Once three years are up, he would have a draft value to start the fourth season of 13. If kept for the fifth season, he would have a value of 8. If kept for a sixth season, he would have a value of 5. If kept for the seventh season, he would have a value of 2. If kept again, he would have a value of 1 and that value would remain constant until Brian McCann is no longer kept.)

He should be fine for awhile unless he makes trades for guys that have been kept already this past year.

Also VX, you definitely have been drafting eerily similar to me. A lot of the guys I was zeroing in on you scooped up right before I was about to take them. Utley, Zimmerman, and Ankiel