TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Promoter

95% of wrestling fans

Jonathan Coachman

"In the last 18 months when I was at MSG and asked (by WWE) to do a few things a legit sports guy wouldn't do, I questioned that a little bit. But I also found quite a bit of our (WWE) audience -- 95 percent -- doesn't watch real sports. I never received any backlash whenever I did something a little off-color."

http://www.sescoops.com/wwe/Jonathan_Coach...rn_To_WWE.shtml

Is he correct?

I think he's way off-base and if the wwe is in this mindset it may explain a lot(although them hiring guys like Lesnar, Angle, Benjamin seems to say otherwise). They do also use a lot of guys from sports such as Mayweather.

Jonathan Coachman

"In the last 18 months when I was at MSG and asked (by WWE) to do a few things a legit sports guy wouldn't do, I questioned that a little bit. But I also found quite a bit of our (WWE) audience -- 95 percent -- doesn't watch real sports. I never received any backlash whenever I did something a little off-color."

http://www.sescoops.com/wwe/Jonathan_Coach...rn_To_WWE.shtml

Is he correct?

I think he's way off-base and if the wwe is in this mindset it may explain a lot(although them hiring guys like Lesnar, Angle, Benjamin seems to say otherwise). They do also use a lot of guys from sports such as Mayweather.

Yeah... 95% is a laughable number.

I don't know, I'd say its more like 60%. I hate sports and none of my friends who watch wrestling like "real" sports. And everyone I know who watches mma, baseball, or football, thinks wrestling is "gay, fake shit".

I never watch real sports. Well, "never" is a strong word, I sometimes click on some MMA, usually watch some Olympics when they roll around, and every once in a long while will catch a baseball game. Point is, I watch wrestling at least a hundred times more often than I ever watch real sports. I have some wrestler and ex-wrestler buddies who are the same way, just never gave much of a damn about competitive sports, usually they were the types who weren't athletes back in school and got into wrestling just because they were that much of a mark for it. (Except for MMA, which damn near everyone in wrestling seems to be at least a casual fan of.) However, I think we were in the minority. Most of the other guys in the locker room were usually dudes who'd been real athletes at some point or another, and they were always talking about whatever game happened the night before.

Wrestling is more scripted then actually fake. There are still times when injuries etc happen but for the most point there accidents...I think I was like 6 when my grandfather explained it out that sometimes aren't all ways the way they seem. Now when I was a freshman in college I took Sociology and my professor was a HUGE Wrestling fan....He even had it on the list for term paper. I thought oh gee I have watched it for years I can get an easy 100 ....A lady that went to Will Rogers Coliseum on a weekly basis had gone to school with Fritz Von Erich/aka Jack Adkisson....She gave me his address and said for me to write to him he might send me some stuff for my research on my paper...I thought well okay what can I lose. My Mom and I had just gotten back from the store and my Dad was on the phone he said it was for me....It was a person to person call from Jack Adkisson...He invited me to spend the day at the Sportatorium I had to walk a class to do it but wasn't about to pass up....I only thought I knew about Wrestling by the end of the day I knew a whole lot more...

Only wrestling I really watched this summer was some of the stuff from the Olympics one night. When really sit down and watch it can really tell the difference.