TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The NFL OT Rule

Yeah, keep the playoff seeding like it is. Hosting a game is one of the incentives for winning your division.

What would you change about the overtime rules, Cheech? Change it to the college-style OT (which I find both exciting and sort of ridiculous) or play out an additional ten-minute period or what?

My suggestion to changing overtimes is to make it touchdowns only for sudden death, no field goal finishes the opponent off shit. If it becomes a war of attrition and no one can get past the goal line, it becomes a matter of field goals. Of course this could make it so one team tries to run as much clock as possible and kick a field goal to win it at the end, but I doubt that would happen much if at all.

College-style matching possessions, but with kickoffs, not starting at an arbitrary point. The game ends when one team leads after having an equal number of possessions.

If you believe the system is fine because "well then the defense shoulda stopped em then! footbaw!", your brain is most likely composed of oatmeal, especially on the heels of that Saints-Bears game where the end of the game was crotch-deep in highly dubious pass interference calls. It's an offensive league.

College-style matching possessions, but with kickoffs, not starting at an arbitrary point. The game ends when one team leads after having an equal number of possessions.

Even simpler, if neither team leads after each gets one possession, then it becomes sudden death. I'd knock 5 minutes off the current OT period and make it 10 minutes. Seems like the best compromise between the current NFL and college systems. Eliminates any questions of fairness (well, any non-delusional questions).

It occurs to me that that's probably what you mean, but what the hell.

Each team gets a possession starting at the 50, and if it's still tied after that you go to sudden death. Coin toss to start overtime lets you choose defense first, offense first, or defer to sudden death.

NFL Blitz had it right. Just play an extra quarter with no bullshit sudden death rules. Football is the only sport that has this first score crap. Even in Soccer you get two periods of play.

Football is the only sport that has this first score crap.

How many hockey games you've seen?

Yeah but with hockey you get at least a fighting chance for some offense. I'm just reading between the lines, but it's an easy inference that he meant, Football is the only sport in which only one team gets an option to score which will end the game on a first score crap.

There's no comparison between hockey and football, since hockey doesn't have the specialization that football has. Yes, a cornerback can intercept a pass and run it back for the game-winning touchdown, but is the defense meant to do that above all else? Not particularly; it's meant to stop the progress of the offense. Even a strip-at-all-costs defense like the Bears is only gaining possession to put the offensive corps in a better position to score. That's why each possession needs to be matched until there's some sort of turnover or outscoring.

^fuck yeah. Great example.

Best record should get the advantage. As for OT, I think they should play another full quarter, straight up.

At least in the playoffs. Regular season overtime can be kept as is but playoff overtime needs to be another full quarter.

No. If you're going to change the OT rules, make it the same rules for all regular and postseason games. Two sets of rules would only lead to more confusion for Pro Bowl quarterbacks.

I'm fine with the OT rules as they are, BTW. But if they want to change it, make it a full extra quarter, booth replay only, 2 timeouts per team.

Yeah, keep the playoff seeding like it is. Hosting a game is one of the incentives for winning your division.

What would you change about the overtime rules, Cheech? Change it to the college-style OT (which I find both exciting and sort of ridiculous) or play out an additional ten-minute period or what?

I'm a little late to the OT party here, but my idea closely resemble Czech's and that from WCS. Start with a kickoff, but if the receiving team scores the other team gets a matching possession. After that first possession, sudden death rules apply.

I don't like that 54% of OT games end on the opening drive. That hardly seems fair.

How hard is it to just play a 15:00 quarter and end the game that way?

No. If you're going to change the OT rules, make it the same rules for all regular and postseason games. Two sets of rules would only lead to more confusion for Pro Bowl quarterbacks.

I don't hear any complaints in hockey, but if playoff OT ended in a shootout I'd probably stop watching the sport.

There are no shootouts in the playoffs.

Whatever happened to the "first team to 6 points" idea from a few years ago? I really liked that idea, although Czech's "college + kickoffs" seems to combine the excitement of college with the common sense that a professional sport craves.

How about a 2pt conversion competition?

You line up one team on the 2yd line and they have to get into the endzone, if they do the other team gets a shot at doing the same thing. First team not able to match the coversion loses.

How about a 2pt conversion competition?

You line up one team on the 2yd line and they have to get into the endzone, if they do the other team gets a shot at doing the same thing. First team not able to match the coversion loses.

bwuh.jpg

Make it an untimed period. Cointoss. One team kicks off. If the offense scores a FG on their first possession, the 2nd team has one possession to try and tie or win it. Basically, each team is guaranteed a possession or an opportunity for one (in the case of a team that scored the FG turns around and recovers an onside kick, the game is over). If the score is still tied once each team had a chance for a possession, then it becomes sudden death.

That was easy.

If you do sudden death after each team has had one possession, it defeats the purpose of giving the other team a guaranteed possession in the first place. It would be like terminating a baseball game in the top of the 11th.

Okay, so let's say it's Bears against Lions, tied after regulation.

Bears call heads. Coin comes up tails. Lions choose to receive, return the kick up to the 24. They get to the other 25, kick a field goal and score. They kick to the Bears. From there, the Bears would need to hit a field goal to tie the game and kick back to the Lions, a touchdown automatically wins the game, and a turnover automatically ends the game. Another scenario would be that the returning team fumbles the ball on the opening kickoff and it is recovered for a touchdown. The game would be over since both teams have advanced the ball.

Another, much stranger, scenario is that the opening kickoff is returned for a touchdown. I suppose from there, the only recourse that the matching-possession team has is to return a kick themselves, so any tackle short of the endzone ends the game.

Just play another goddamned quarter. Or another ten minutes, if injuries in OT are somehow more of a worry than they are the previous sixty minutes. Ten minutes is enough to give both teams at least one possession.

Just play an extra quarter.

I don't like getting rid of kickoffs and/or field goals in OT. The damn game is called FOOTball, afterall.

All aspects of the game should continue to impact the score in OT, just as they did in the first four quarters.

The more gimmicky the solution, the less I like it.