TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Shelly Smith from ESPN

I have read rumors that she is in some trouble with ESPN. The rumor that I have heard is that she slept with Derrick Lowe.

Has anyone else heard any of these rumors?

That is just a rumor that I heard. I have no clue if that is true. However, there has to be better meat in the LA area for female sportscasters then her.

It was, supposedly, Carolyn Hughs since the other woman in question apparently worked for Fox Sports.

I was hoping it would turn out to be Lindsay Soto since I like Hughs.

So in this case can a reporter be fired for sleeping with an athlete? I will say that Carolyn Hughes is a huge upgrade compared to Shelly Smith.

So in this case can a reporter be fired for sleeping with an athlete?  I will say that Carolyn Hughes is a huge upgrade compared to Shelly Smith.

He's not even the first pro athlete that Carolyn Hughes has slept with. Her husband says this isn't the first time she cheated on him with a pro athlete. what a skank

I tend to suspect that this isnt so uncommon (athletes having sex with female reporters) as some would believe. I've heard that Bonnie Bernstein and Melissa Stark have been "linked" to athletes in the past.

I thought Hughs had always been single and never married. She's one of the best look girls in sports I think so I wasn't surprised to hear about her shagging some athlete.

Anyone who sleeps with Shelly Smith is a desperate and troubled chubby chaser since Monica Nichols from ESPN is like *right* there.

I always wondered more if Bonnie Bernstein wasn't banging some major TV execs. How else can it be explained that she wasn't a terribly notable ESPN chick reporter and then suddenly ended up with CBS doing fairly major stuff?

I'll be covering women's basketball and softball next semester for the paper......I wonder if this athletes banging reporters things goes the other way.

I always wondered more if Bonnie Bernstein wasn't banging some major TV execs. How else can it be explained that she wasn't a terribly notable ESPN chick reporter and then suddenly ended up with CBS doing fairly major stuff?

People that say that women reporters must be sleeping with athletes (or executives!) make me laugh. Why presume that they are shacking up with an athlete that they cover? Is it that hard to believe that they might just be good at what they do?

And why a woman would get a sideline gig (or a comparable role) over a male is pretty obvious: Men watch more sports than women. Men like looking at good looking women. Thus, it makes sense to hire a good looking woman to cover a sport. If you guys would rather see Eric Dickerson on the sidelines than Stark or Bernstein, suit yourself. I personally think that both know their shit about sports and are much easier on the eyes than a guy would be.

People that say that women reporters must be sleeping with athletes (or executives!) make me laugh. Why presume that they are shacking up with an athlete that they cover? Is it that hard to believe that they might just be good at what they do?

And why a woman would get a sideline gig (or a comparable role) over a male is pretty obvious: Men watch more sports than women. Men like looking at good looking women. Thus, it makes sense to hire a good looking woman to cover a sport. If you guys would rather see Eric Dickerson on the sidelines than Stark or Bernstein, suit yourself. I personally think that both know their shit about sports and are much easier on the eyes than a guy would be.

Nl5 you know how the media works and true quality of work is the last thing you need to get a big break. Its a) who you know b) how telegenic you are (how you look), and c) personality thats how you make it on ESPN or any other televised media. Thats not saying that they cant be good as well. While I dont like sideline reporters in general I happen to think Bernstein's one of the better ones but if you dont think that female reporters dont hook up in order to get scoops and/or interviews youre kidding yourself.

I've been convinced for a while that Jeanie Zelasko has to be involved with a major FOX exec to have her job. She knows nothing about baseball, has no personality, and is not particularly attractive. There is simply no logical reason for her to have that job.

smh, it's a long leap from knowing someone and being attractive enough to get the gig to sleeping with someone for a job.

I full-on agree that the first two are most assuredly criteria for getting a major TV position, especially the knowing someone to get their foot in the door. I don't agree, however, that women sleep with a guy just to get a job.

And to say that a woman would prostitute herself out for a 'scoop' or interview is downright laughable, to me at least.

I've been convinced for a while that Jeanie Zelasko has to be involved with a major FOX exec to have her job. She knows nothing about baseball, has no personality, and is not particularly attractive. There is simply no logical reason for her to have that job.

I wondered that, too, although I recently heard her co-host make a remark about her about to pop out a kid, so that plays a factor in her current looks...

Have you seen what the average women's basketball and softball player looks like?

That's why you'd ignore them and hit on the hot Jennie Finch types...

did Hannah Storm ever fuck her way to the top?

I'd hit it...

I wouldn't call The Early Show "the top". But yeah, I'd hit it.

smh, it's a long leap from knowing someone and being attractive enough to get the gig to sleeping with someone for a job.

I full-on agree that the first two are most assuredly criteria for getting a major TV position, especially the knowing someone to get their foot in the door. I don't agree, however, that women sleep with a guy just to get a job.

And to say that a woman would prostitute herself out for a 'scoop' or interview is downright laughable, to me at least.

I agree that female reporters sleeping with their bosses or prospective bosses to get jobs is a relatively rare occurence. However, I do think female reporters hooking up with athletes happens much more often than a lot of us realize. Maybe not every day but it goes on. Who knows whether it would be for a scoop, an interview, or just for personal pleasure but to take that its a rare occurence is nieve in my opinion.

I have to admit a partial bias, as I'm quasi-related to Suzy Shuster through step-families and remarriages and whatnot ... and I know that she gets furious when people presume that women reporters sleep their way to the top. And I've read blurbs where legit women reporters blow a gasket when an unknown does something like sleep with a guy for a story or a job, since it makes them all look less credible.

The thing that makes me laugh about Suzy, though, is that while she didn't sleep her way to the top, she did marry Rich Eisen, who undoubtedly helped her get her name out for promotions and whatnot. She was already working for ESPN when she met him, though, so she got her foot in the door on her own.

Hot sports babes (non athletes or retired)

Carolyn Hughes

Leeann Tweeden

Dana Jacobsen (she's grown on me a lot)

Lisa Guerrero

Summer Sanders

Thea Andrews (still upset she's no longer on Cold Pizza)

Jillian Barbieri

I kinda agree on Dana Jacobsen, she's been looking a lot better since she went to Cold Pizza...oh and I been digging Suzy Kolber more and more each football season...

Does Jillian "Jiggles" Barbieri count as a Sports Babe? She does the NFL shows on Fox. Even with that fisheye, I'd throw it in her.

While I have to admit that she has a kind of manly face, Sam Ryan is another woman reporter that I'd like to see more of.

And this is a good of a time as any for me to pull out my favorite female sports reporter ... the lovely and talented Jennifer Hedger.hedger.jpg