TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

The "What Are You Reading Right Now" Thread

"Heavier Then Heaven" by Charles R. Cross.

"I Am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe

I'm curious as to how real Div. I college basketball players would react to this novel and the way the players are protrayed. Provided they could read it, that is.

RobotJerk, do you find that most of the characters all seem to be overly stupid. Then again I'm only about 90 pages into it.

"Get Shorty" by Elmore Leonard. I never saw the movie either. What with the sequel coming out I figure I'll get all caught up.

If I may make a suggestion, this book reads better if you listen to music like "Green Onion" by Booker T and the MGs or even the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack...

Anyways, currently reading "Medstar II: Jedi Healer" by Steve Perry and Michael Reaves. Far better than "Medstar I: Battle Surgeons", but still not great. Read it only if you're a Star Wars EU mark, or if you like reading books just to find a singular nod to H2G2 (I'm kinda doubting anyone's that obsessed).

Anyways, "Survivor's Quest" by Timothy Zahn is a better novel. It's a Luke and Mara story, with a tie-in to the prequel-era EU.

Right now I'm working through the Bounty Hunter Wars, only because I have the third book and never read the first two.

Right now I'm working through the Bounty Hunter Wars, only because I have the third book and never read the first two.

Tell me how it turns out. I only made it halfway through book 2. Boring as hell.

I'm curious as to how real Div. I college basketball players would react to this novel and the way the players are protrayed. Provided they could read it, that is.

RobotJerk, do you find that most of the characters all seem to be overly stupid. Then again I'm only about 90 pages into it.

You're actually a bit farther along then I am. I just checked it out on Saturaday and haven't had a chance to really sit down with it yet.

The book did cause quite an uproar over its athenticity when it first came out.

Finished "Get Shorty" which was pretty good but not one of my favorite Leonard offerings. I watched the movie and was dissapointed by it. I have to learn to stop reading the books first, cause that always happens. When I watch the movie first I usually like both.

I had intended to read "Be Cool" now, but because of what I've said, I'm watching the movie first. Instead I'm going to start "No One Here Gets Out Alive", the Jim Morrison biography. Heard a lot about it, never sat down and read it myself.

Understanding Power - Noam Chomsky

Must....resist urge to.......make snide remark....

Don't hold back, I know you can do it!

I love my anti-semitic literature!

Guest PlatinumBoy

You're actually a bit farther along then I am. I just checked it out on Saturaday and haven't had a chance to really sit down with it yet.

The book did cause quite an uproar over its athenticity when it first came out.

How good is it? The frat house Wolfe based the frat scenes on is RIGHT outside my dorm... which is one reason I want to read it. According to Drudge, Bush likes it but his people don't want him publically saying he's reading such an EVIL book.

As to the thread, currently reading, "Who's Your Caddy?" by Rick Reilly, then starting "A Confederacy of Dunces"

I had intended to read "Be Cool" now, but because of what I've said, I'm watching the movie first. Instead I'm going to start "No One Here Gets Out Alive", the Jim Morrison biography. Heard a lot about it, never sat down and read it myself.

NOHGOA is the first Morrison biography ever written, and it did touch off a bit of a Doors revival, but go into it with an open mind and know that most of it is bullshit, bullshit touched up by the recently deceased Doors manager, Danny Sugarman, and Doors keyboard player Ray Manzarek. If you want to read a real, non objective book on Jimbo, I suggest Break On Through by James Riordan and Jerry Prochnicky.

I am currently reading Cobb by Al Stump.

Hearts of Atlantis - Stephen King

My favorite part of that book is not the part that was made into the movie, it's the part where the guy is in college during the Vietnam War. Great stuff.

NOHGOA is the first Morrison biography ever written, and it did touch off a bit of a Doors revival, but go into it with an open mind and know that most of it is bullshit, bullshit touched up by the recently deceased Doors manager, Danny Sugarman, and Doors keyboard player Ray Manzarek. If you want to read a real, non objective book on Jimbo, I suggest Break On Through by James Riordan and Jerry Prochnicky.

I'm about half way through it, and I can tell. The groveling hero worship is coming through pretty thick. It's very interesting in a historical perspective, and as a record of Morrison the legend as opposed to the man. I can see it's influence on other rock stars.

I may indeed pick up your suggestion sometime.

Just started...

Peter Straub - Koko

Various Authors - My Favourite Year: A Collection Of Football Writing

Just finished the 4th & 5th Harry Potter books and loved them to death. Can't wait for the new one this summer.

Black House - Stephen King and Peter Straub

From a Buick 8 - Stephen King

(yes all at once, well not simultaneously, but you know what I mean)

Unlike Jaxl, I pretty much just read Hearts in Atlantis for the Dark Tower tie-in "Low Men in Yellow Coats".

Haven't read "Black House", but it's on my already obscenely long "To Read" list.

"From a Buick 8" is just sad to read. Not in the sense that the material is sad, mind you, but that book, much like "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon", are just representative of King's post car-accident work, which has more often than not tended to be mediocre or just plain awful. I personally thought the book was be pretty pedestrian coming from the guy who's written many of modern horror literature's "classics".

"Bad Chili" by Joe R. Lansdale. God, this book kicks all kinds of ass, especially the dialouge

Black House - Stephen King and Peter Straub

From a Buick 8 - Stephen King

(yes all at once, well not simultaneously, but you know what I mean)

Unlike Jaxl, I pretty much just read Hearts in Atlantis for the Dark Tower tie-in "Low Men in Yellow Coats".

Haven't read "Black House", but it's on my already obscenely long "To Read" list.

"From a Buick 8" is just sad to read. Not in the sense that the material is sad, mind you, but that book, much like "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon", are just representative of King's post car-accident work, which has more often than not tended to be mediocre or just plain awful. I personally thought the book was be pretty pedestrian coming from the guy who's written many of modern horror literature's "classics".

Bump Black House up that list Vyce, you won't be disappointed. I'm almost done, and absolutely loving it. Of those three books I listed this one has engrossed me completely.