TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jericholic82

AMERICAN IDOl-SEASON 5: THE THREAD

Well, seeing as the first live performances start tonight, and I don't see another thread here yet (if there is, let me know), I'd thought I'd start one.

Tonight at 8, the 12 female contenstants perform.

Enjoy (or not :D ) the show.

:cheers: to more gray hairs for Simon.

Simon will be one mean bastard to the women who don't look like models or are older than 25. So what will tonights theme be...sing songs from Randy Jackson's library of top 40 jams?

The interesting part of this show has passed. Seeing the rejects, losers and the comical brilliance of the idiots who think they really are the next big thing and go nuts on the judge team.

Can we stop acting like AI actually propels you to some mega-superstardom? Kelly Clarkson aside, AI winners haven't exactly set the world on fire. It's easy to sell a couple million albums when you have a set fanbase of 35 million people per week.

Clarkson has survived the stigma of being a glorified talent search winner and stood on her own. The other 4 winners (Ruben/Clay, Fantastia and Carrie) haven't done that and you can already call Ruben a flop.

I have no strong interest in the show beyond the first month when it's Simon's playground.

I hate the audition portion of the show.

The performace portion, however, sucks me in every year. And the new format works better because it weeds out some of the poorer performers. Too bad they didn't have that for Season Three...

I have no strong interest in the show beyond the first month when it's Simon's playground.

so we can anticipate not seeing you again for the duration of this thread right?

Season 3 was horrid, Starvenger...the plastic piggy damn near won...never mention that again!

there's no way dude will win, but gray haired, overly excited harmonica playing guy is one of the best singers of the bunch, hands down.

Clarkson has survived the stigma of being a glorified talent search winner and stood on her own. The other 4 winners (Ruben/Clay, Fantastia and Carrie) haven't done that and you can already call Ruben a flop.

Clay Aiken and Carrie Underwhelm have sold pretty well if I recall. But you're right. Winning "American Idol" gets your foot in the door. You need to work hard if you want to have staying power in the music industry, and so far only Clarkson has done that.

I'm just the opposite. But that may be because I get annoyed with auditioners throwing runs into every part of their songs and thinking "that's what makes a good singer". Also, I think that tolerating karaoke is genetic for me.

where IS Ruben, anyway?

and Clay still does stuff, one of those ET type shows mentioned him being up to something just recently.

Fantasia seems to be MIA as well...doesn't surprise me, best singer from the worst season.

So here are the 12 Girls

Ayla

ayla.jpg

Becky

becky.jpg

Brenna

brenna.jpg

Heather

heather.jpg

Katherine

katharine.jpg

Kellie

kellie.jpg

Kinnik

kinnik.jpg

Lisa

lisa.jpg

Mandisa

mandisa.jpg

Melissa

melissa.jpg

Paris

paris.jpg

Stevie

stevie.jpg

On looks alone, Heather, Becky and Katherine are probably the top 3. As far as talent...well does that really matter?

Brenna, the "sassy one", is fantastic looking.

Paris, she's the one that had a hasbeen singer in her family, correct? she's got a great voice.

Are they just doing one week before going to the actual top 12 competition? Prior years, they had 3 weeks of voting followed by a final wild card week.

Season 3 was horrid, Starvenger...the plastic piggy damn near won...never mention that again!

My point is that the Season Three "Finalists" were dominated by personalities, not singers, and the new elimination process should've (in theory) turfed them out before they got to the Top Twelve. And I mean pretty much all of them.

My point is that the Season Three "Finalists" were dominated by personalities, not singers, and the new elimination process should've (in theory) turfed them out before they got to the Top Twelve. And I mean pretty much all of them.

I know what you were saying, the memory of enduring that season made me cringe.

My best friend knows Bucky, the ugly redneck dude.

He's in utter disbelief that the dude actually got this far.

He is now the Great White Hope for his little redneck town.

Brenna, the "sassy one", is fantastic looking.

Paris, she's the one that had a hasbeen singer in her family, correct? she's got a great voice.

Are they just doing one week before going to the actual top 12 competition? Prior years, they had 3 weeks of voting followed by a final wild card week.

You're probably right, the problem so far in sproadically paying attention to the audition shows, unless some-one really blows me away, I can't really put a name or face to a certain person. None of these girls have blown me away just yet. I think that's the main problem about the audition shows, they focus on the comical rejects and the "constroversial" ones and kinda just let the real talent rest in the background and give them the spotlight once the real show begins.

Also, on Heather Cox. Is it just me or did every male in America know a blonde girl named Heather Cox in High School?

Two male and two female singers get the boot each week for the next three weeks.

And this is what I know of the females - Becky and Brenna look pretty hot. Katherine is most likely to showcase her boobs. Kellie is the one we'll in all likelihood be calling "Trailer Park Girl". And Paris has an awesome voice, but I don't think she'll run the table.

I'm sure you all remember my Scott Savol love from last year.

Well, I'm already on the Kevin Covais bandwagon. Dude is getting all kinds of votes from me, no matter how bad he sucks. LOOK AT HIM.

Clay and Ruban can make a living working Las Vegas or Branson doing covers of Barry Manilow and Barry White or work in musical theater in the East. As for Fantasia well she lost her shoe and her career never really got off the ground.

To be fair, the kind of music that Ruben and Fantastia make doesn't really lend itself well to big sales. Carrie is in a good genre for her. Kelly managed to switch genres successfully.

Taylor Hicks (Grey haired dude) could go pretty far. I don't see him winning, but he could make plenty of money (relatively speaking, not 5 million albums sold, but certainly more than what he was making before). The rest of the guys are kinda same old same old.

there's always that obscure guy that makes it to like the top 4 or 5, Taylor Hicks (gray haired dude) will be that guy for sure.

I'm interested to hear bald rocker dude's voice when he's actually performing live, as well.

Katherine McPhee is the best singer. Kellie Pickler is the hottest. Ace, Chris & Taylor will be the only three guys America won't hate.

Katherine McPhee is the best singer. Kellie Pickler is the hottest. Ace, Chris & Taylor will be the only three guys America won't hate.

Katherine definently has that Kelly Clarkson/Carrie Underwood look that America seems to love...as long as she doesn't fuck up, she is Final 3 for sure.

there's always that obscure guy that makes it to like the top 4 or 5, Taylor Hicks (gray haired dude) will be that guy for sure.

I'm interested to hear bald rocker dude's voice when he's actually performing live, as well.

Can you really be obscure when you are the guy everyone is talking about (for better or worse)?

That being said, Ace reminds me of Constantine, as far as looks are concerned. I have a feeling he'll be the top male until some horrendous outing late in the show and in a "shocker", is voted out.

I'm convinced most people pick who they want from the very start and just keep riding that horse...even if they deserve to be voted off.

Can you really be obscure when you are the guy everyone is talking about (for better or worse)?

well I mean as far as not fitting the "American Idol mold" of looks and/or talent...he definently doesn't have the look and his voice is not that of a Pop Star...which makes him all the more better to root for. I mean, Bo being in the Fianl 2, Scott Savol hanging on so long, George Huff in season 3, the red head crooner from season 3, Clay Aiken, etc.

I'm convinced most people pick who they want from the very start and just keep riding that horse...even if they deserve to be voted off.

I'd say that it's mostly women that do that. The best looking girls often go early because guys don't vote nearly as much, and if a girl cannot sing the hell out of every song she's doomed. Whichever guy is deemed "the hottest" is the one the psychos out there start fantasizing about and claim they will never watch Idol again when he finally gets bumped off around the top 6 when the people who vote based on talent finally flush them out.

I'd guess that McPhee is the favorite this year, but if a guy is ever going to win again he has to be the 2nd best looking guy in his season AND have an enormous amount of talent, because the backlash of being the pretty boy (Constantine) only ramps up as the show progresses leaving the other guy (Bo) in better shape.

Is there really a male "mold"?

Ruben, Clay, Bo, Justin (the four big males to come out of this show) were all different. I know what you are saying, I was just trying to gauge what exactly can we call the "male mold" when the 4 names were different in looks, personality and voice.

To hit on what Naiwf said, I remember it being Bo Vs Constantine: Battle of the pesudo rockers. Not neccesarily a "looks" battle, I thought it was Constantine who slipped first and that let those people who couldn't decide between the two to dump him.

That Ayla girl lives about a half hour/45 minutes from me. Too bad she's 17.

Also, remember the reject from two weeks ago? The gay kid singing Cher? He lives on my aunt's street, me and my friends used to hang out with his two sisters waay back in the day.